Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Suspension for a Daily Driver.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 09:40 PM
dipsetwarrior
1st Gear Member

Red face Recommendations.

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Anytime I hear how lowering springs are designed to work with stock dampers I cringe--as it's a sales pitch. The stock dampers aren't that good--change those even with stock springs and the car works better. Asking them to control springs that are shorter AND stiffer than stock rates isn't going to make the dampers happy. Can you do it? Sure. Is it right? No more right than putting a bigger cam in, but because it's maybe a mild grind then saying that stock valve springs are perfect.

I understand that floridafordguy rode in that car.... in Florida. Not exactly Jersey, or where I am in Western PA. Also that's a new car, that's as good as those shocks will ever, ever be.

I've never been one to recommend everything in world, in fact I often talk folks out of things they think they need. But there are times, if you want things to work right, that you do need even if they cost a little bit of money. It's easier to make a sale if you can come in as the lowest bidder, so to speak.... I try and keep the tally down to reasonable level and only use what we need to do the job correctly. I guess there is just some difference in opinion about what is a good idea vs. what is only required.

Can you please recommend me what you think would be the best suspension setup from your website?

My Car: 2010 Mustang GT, Daily Driver, 18" Rims (255 front, 275 back staggered) 1K Spending Limit.

Please include, links and or parts lists and Part #'s.

Thanks in advanced your help is extremely appreciated.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:37 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by floridafordguy
I mentioned you during the test, they said you are indeed the suspension man. Steeda says if I want shocks, the Tockico (?) work as well as the Konis and cost less. Any comment? If the Koni Yellows are the right thing, I won't balk at the price difference; I want to get this car right the first time.

Thanks for your input.
I've had the Tokico's first and now have Koni Yellow/Sports. I should have done it right the first time and got the Koni's.

If you can afford the difference get the Koni's - period end of discussion.

The main difference is that the Koni's are less "harsh" on the street even when they are set firmer.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:41 AM
floridafordguy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
I've had the Tokico's first and now have Koni Yellow/Sports. I should have done it right the first time and got the Koni's.

The main difference is that the Koni's are less "harsh" on the street even when they are set firmer.
Thanks for that. I'm going to take your (and Sam's) advice on this. When I told the Steeda guys that almost every time someone on the boards says they have Steeda springs it seems they also have Koni yellows they acted like they didn't know what I was talking about. I'm going to have the work done elsewhere. Thanks again.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:38 AM
drew2000

Koni's work great on stock springs. Had my '07 on stock springs for most of 3 years with Koni's, my '11 is on stock springs and Koni's (the front springs aren't all that much different on a Brembo car, the rears are stiffer though). Even my winter car, a '94 BMW 325is has Koni's on it--and stock springs.
Thanks Sam! Looks like a winter project.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:09 AM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Thanks for that. I'm going to take your (and Sam's) advice on this. When I told the Steeda guys that almost every time someone on the boards says they have Steeda springs it seems they also have Koni yellows they acted like they didn't know what I was talking about. I'm going to have the work done elsewhere. Thanks again.
Not all of my sales reps spend all day on the boards. So they are not all going to know what people on the boards are talking about.

Frankly, the customer demographic on the forums is a drop in the bucket compared to the customer base as a whole. Add to that the fact that most of my guys don't spend all day on the boards and yes, they probably are not going to be aware of everything being said and done on the forums.

Springs, shocks, and struts are like pie and ice cream. Everybody likes something different and has a different opinion of what is best. We have always preferred Tokico and have had great success with them, and will always recommend them.

Whatever you decide to put on, I can tell you several local shops bring cars to us to finish the alignment and setup after their install, simply because they are not equipped to do so. Whatever you decide to do I can say we would definitely be the best shop to the install correctly from start to finish when you are ready.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:33 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

The combo of Koni yellows and steeda sport springs rides 95% as smooth as stock. I highly recommend that setup. I have it on my 10 w j&m caster plates and panhard. I had eibach sport and tokinco blue shocks on my 05 and the ride was horrible. No regrets at all on the 10. Rides great looks greEat and handles great.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:45 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I mentioned you during the test, they said you are indeed the suspension man. Steeda says if I want shocks, the Tockico (?) work as well as the Konis and cost less. Any comment? If the Koni Yellows are the right thing, I won't balk at the price difference; I want to get this car right the first time.

Thanks for your input.
Well, here's a perfect example. Steeda are Tokico people... they can't offer you anything else, of course you will hear that they "work as well and cost less".

On the other hand, I sell Koni, and Bilstein, and Tokico too..... I had a set of D-specs myself, they weren't hateful, I will readily admit that. But they weren't as good as the Koni's (and others here who've run both have the same opinion). And the warranty service, should you need it, between the two isn't on the same planet with Koni being much better IMO.

It's hard for me to say that Koni Sports are the right thing for you... Maybe Koni STR.T's would suit you ok. Tokico's are still an option as well (and fwiw, there is no sales tax when you buy from me).

I'd have to just talk to you to get a sense of what you think, what you want, what you need. Not something I can here--unless you want me to take the easy way and figure Koni Sports are never bad and with the adjustment "will suit you best".
Old 12-03-2010, 11:50 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dipsetwarrior
Can you please recommend me what you think would be the best suspension setup from your website?

My Car: 2010 Mustang GT, Daily Driver, 18" Rims (255 front, 275 back staggered) 1K Spending Limit.

Please include, links and or parts lists and Part #'s.

Thanks in advanced your help is extremely appreciated.
Well, I could do that I guess.... but much like I mentioned in the post above I like to get a better sense of what you want, what you expect before recommending things. Kind of like a Doctor would most likely want to examine you before writing a prescription for pills... Parts are pills, for what ails the car and/or it's owner's dislikes about the car.

For $1000 you could do Koni STR.T's, Steeda Sport springs and a set of my adjustable swaybars. You could do STR.T's, Steeda Sport and Steeda HD mounts for $913. You could do the STR.T's and Springs for $645. You could add an adjustable PHB to any of those for as little as $109. There are so many things you "could" do....

I don't know you, I don't know what you think of the car stock to compare it to what I think of it... I certainly would be stretching to sit here and say do A, B, and C without talking to you.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:53 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08

Thank you for the input Sleeper, always nice to hear from others with the direct experience between parts. And that's very much what I found. The Koni's offer better ride at settings that give the control I like. I also find the range of adjustment more useful to me than D-specs. A lot of the range on D-specs is too soft, sometimes softer than stock.... That's not helpful range.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:27 PM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Well, here's a perfect example. Steeda are Tokico people... they can't offer you anything else, of course you will hear that they "work as well and cost less".

On the other hand, I sell Koni, and Bilstein, and Tokico too.....
We have accounts with Koni and Bilstein as well and could just as easily sell them. So it's not that we "can't" offer it.

Those following this post can take what I about to say any way you want, it just highlights our experience with Koni.

A while back we were track testing Konis and Tokico's at Sebring with a car and a pro driver. Started out with the Tokico's, then switched to the Koni's and ran them.

The driver came back swearing up and down he thought the Koni's felt a little better and the car was much faster with them. We then asked him if the car felt faster why was he over 2 seconds a lap slower on the Koni's.

We put the Tokico's back on and got the 2+ seconds back. Needless to say the Tokico's stayed on the car.

You can't go wrong with either one, but we do testing too and have our preferences based on that testing. All the testing we do is why we come up with the recommendations we make to customers. There are those out there that would do things differently, but that is nothing new. It was like that when I started with Steeda 12 years ago too.

Quick Reply: Suspension for a Daily Driver.