Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

KILLED the hop !!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 10:05 PM
SilverHoss
1st Gear Member

Default KILLED the hop !!

I have always hated the dreaded wheel-hop these cars have. I installed Koni SA's first. Not to yr and kill the hop, but as my usual first suspension mod. That helped the hop. Some.
Then installed UMI LCA's (poly/roto-joint combo) .
That helped. A little, but still got the hop. Damn hop. I hate it.
Now just installed J&M UCA (three-piece poly joint) and UMI UCA mount.
HOP IS GONE !!! Finally !!
Thought I would post because I have seen other posts with folks wanting to kill the hop.
Before these mods. i could give the stang gas in first gear, and as RPM's rose, the wheels would start spinnin, then just as the R's climbed, a horrible, violent wheel hop would start i though it would shake the car apart. I just had to let off the gas when it would start for fear of tearing the rear end up. Also, when winding first and then hitting second gear, the hoppedy hop would start.
These mods did not add much NVH from what I can tell. Maybe I can feel some more impact getting transmitted thourgh to my butt when the rear end hits a hard bump or something but I really cannot tell any additional road noise or vibration from the rear ot's really smooth back there. And did I mention, HOP-free ?
heh heh
Old 03-31-2011, 07:41 AM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Hey man, congrats! What are your other mods and power numbers if known? I ask because - honestly - I don't experience much wheel hop, if any, unless the roads suck.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:18 PM
CXracer

Planning on doing the same here... BMR Billet LCAs, Relo Brackets, & UCA
Old 03-31-2011, 03:38 PM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

what tires are you running?
Old 03-31-2011, 07:18 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Hoss - your approach is probably worth as much as the actual parts that you used. Kind of sneak up on it a little at a time and when it stops happening, you stop throwing parts and $ at it.

Thanks for posting.

Norm
Old 03-31-2011, 08:02 PM
SilverHoss
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by moochman4life
Hey man, congrats! What are your other mods and power numbers if known? I ask because - honestly - I don't experience much wheel hop, if any, unless the roads suck.
Don't have numbers. Other mods: Steeda CAI w/ AM race tune, 3.73 gears, Koni SA (yellows), Strano swaybars Coast aluminum DS, CHE K-member brace w/ torque limiters. I think thats about it besides what I already mentioned on the post.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:07 PM
SilverHoss
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SpecterGT260
what tires are you running?
Stock BFG 18" 's. KDW's I think they are
Old 03-31-2011, 08:23 PM
SilverHoss
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Hoss - your approach is probably worth as much as the actual parts that you used. Kind of sneak up on it a little at a time and when it stops happening, you stop throwing parts and $ at it.

Thanks for posting.

Norm
Well that is basically what I did Norm. First I added the Koni's and if I crank them up at least 1 turn up from full soft, it helped the hop. Some. The Koni's were not an attempt at curing the hop, just happened to help a little. Then I added the LCA's. That helped some, but also when the hop did happen it was even more violent-I guess due to the lessened isolation. At that time, I laso went in and replaced all the bolts with high grade 14mm or 9/16"-which ever fit tighter in each suspension location (fixed all clunking I had).
Lastly, I replaced the UCA, and because the UCA mount bolt holes are 16mm, I elected to replace the UCA mount at the same time rather than use those flimsey stepped spacers that come with the UCA that supposed to fix the clunk from that.
Seems what finally fixed the hop was the UCA, so maybe should have tried that first? I tried it for last, cause I heard install of it was a PITA. But really, it wasn't that bad. I tried the LCA's first cause I've seen posted by some that it fixed their hop.