Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

06 front end clunking

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 10:08 PM
evilspock
1st Gear Member

Default 06 front end clunking

I think there is a tsb on this but if if did a Tokico suspension would that fix the clunking? TIA
Old 12-15-2010, 12:12 PM
chrumck
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by evilspock
I think there is a tsb on this but if if did a Tokico suspension would that fix the clunking? TIA
I have a 06 GT and it clunks too. It's a never ending story. I researched that a lot and it seems the problem is some body resonance, not any specific part getting loose. It looks like the surest way of getting rid of it is to get the revised strut mounts (8R3Z-18183-B). The TSB which covers the subject is 07-18-02.

I tried the GT500 mounts myself and it didn't change anything. I didn't buy the revised ones because I'll be going for new shocks, springs and camber plates in a near future. It'll be perfect if it helps but I use the car mostly for track events so I tend not to mind too much. The clunk is the last thing on your mind when you do turns at 100MPH

So, getting back to your question, putting Tokico's will most probably do nothing clunk wise, but... you never know for sure.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:26 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

The only thing that will fix it is finding what the clunk is and replacing it. Changing "suspension" won't fix it unless it's a broken shock.

the most common causes for clunking:

Loose or broken swaybar endlink.

Loose strut mounting (either in upper mount or the bolts that hold the strut to the knuckle are loose), or more likely just a Ford strut mount that's had it and given up.... Very common. And fwiw, I don't really see an improvement from the GT500's in terms of design, they are just new and not busted--though they can be broken on installation so I've seen folks bitch about those making noise.... which is why I tend to just fix it all, the weak mounts and the lack of camber adjustment with a set of Steeda HD mounts (camber plates) while we're in there changing springs and/or struts.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:34 PM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

For me personally, clunking during 100 mph turns would be the first thing on my mind!

Track that sucker down. I've had clunking from both a loose upper strut nut and front anti-sway-bar end links.

Cheers.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:44 PM
chrumck
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
The only thing that will fix it is finding what the clunk is and replacing it. Changing "suspension" won't fix it unless it's a broken shock.

the most common causes for clunking:

Loose or broken swaybar endlink.

Loose strut mounting [...]
I wish it was that easy Sam. People wouldn't write hundreds of posts about it, for example here:
https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...ing-noise.html

These two are surely the first suspects (swaybar links are notorious for getting loose and stock mounts are indeed of questionable quality) but many people including myself didn't get rid of the problem after addressing these. I personally took out the links altogether 'to nail that suckers' but guess what, it totally didn't change the clunk. And no, Steeda HD mounts are not a 100% fix either, here's an example:
https://mustangforums.com/forum/7237237-post2074.html

To repeat it again, it's not some particular part which is loose (you're a lucky one if it is), it is some kind of body and suspension resonance. Changing 'suspension' (usually large parts of it) actually worked for some people.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:46 PM
chrumck
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by nemosgt
For me personally, clunking during 100 mph turns would be the first thing on my mind!

Track that sucker down. I've had clunking from both a loose upper strut nut and front anti-sway-bar end links.

Cheers.
Actually, it doesn't clunk at 100MPH turns
Old 12-15-2010, 01:47 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

It isn't that hard... And I did say the most common reasons are those...

There are only so many parts involved.... the problem is many don't change some of the parts involved, like struts and so never find it. I've had no issues in cars I've worked on or own, or drive. For me it's always been one of the three things, screwed up struts, busted mounts, or a loose or broken swaybar link.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:13 PM
chrumck
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
It isn't that hard... And I did say the most common reasons are those...

There are only so many parts involved.... the problem is many don't change some of the parts involved, like struts and so never find it. I've had no issues in cars I've worked on or own, or drive. For me it's always been one of the three things, screwed up struts, busted mounts, or a loose or broken swaybar link.
So you must belong to the lucky guys club

You know what, Sam? Maybe you'll be the one to help me fight with my clunk. I've just bought your swaybars with thanksgiving deal. I'm still pondering over struts and springs combination and you'll probably hear from me about it. Heck, maybe I'll even come over to Brookville to discuss the setup, it's not that far from Pittsburgh after all. Maybe I'll get some of your clunking luck this way!
Old 12-15-2010, 03:48 PM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by chrumck
Actually, it doesn't clunk at 100MPH turns
"Thats got to be goooood", tongue in cheek, he says. LOL.

Cheers.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:43 PM
evilspock
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the replies. I had read that the kit which includes struts and springs is supposed to enhance handling. I was hoping that fixing the clunk would be an added benefit. It will certainly give me a good opportunity to look everything over real good.
Thanks, I will update the thread after the change.

Quick Reply: 06 front end clunking