Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Best Non-Adjustable Dampers

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 12:42 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by VetteHunter
the more you post the more youre convincing me...

im leaning towards the STR.Ts and maybe in the future when i get my high paying job ill get the adjustable koni's..... right now i have to think about a budget. With the STR.T's do I need to get new spring isolators and dust cover, what about jounce stops, i know ill need to get a new upper strut mount...
Anything you need comes with the new shocks or is reused from the stock ones (like the front dustboot and bumpstop). You don't *NEED* new upper mounts, but it's not a bad idea since OEM Ford mounts aren't the strongest things ever.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:46 PM
VetteHunter
1st Gear Member

so i went with the eibach springs already... the koni shocks should work well with those springs? I have the pro kit
Old 12-29-2010, 05:05 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Well, ok.... Why?

Doesn't matter now I guess... yes the Koni's will work well with them, anything beyond in terms of rate and drop is would be getting to be too much for STR.T's though.. but that's a workable combo, if a little harder ride than the Steeda springs.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:43 PM
VetteHunter
1st Gear Member

i got them for less than $150 new, and i have used eibach before. I currently have their sway bars on my car. I also compared spring rates and i decided that the spring rates offered by the pro kit were good for me. I want performance and not comfort. My car isnt a DD
Old 12-30-2010, 11:03 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Well you got a good deal. As for the other stuff, well thats mostly just fluff. You have stock Ford parts too, but do you want to use other Ford parts?

How did you compare the spring rates and determine they'd be good for you? I'm just curious.

I'm not saying you made a huge mistake (I don't think you did and you could have done worse. However I think details matter and those springs tend to ride harder for no more benefit in handling than some others, which is why I don't choose to use them. But there are certainly worse springs!

FWIW, there are better swaybars than Eibach too. Like the same sizes but hollow and adjustable on the rear as well as the front. Some guy named Strano makes a set like that.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:53 PM
VetteHunter
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Well you got a good deal. As for the other stuff, well thats mostly just fluff. You have stock Ford parts too, but do you want to use other Ford parts?

How did you compare the spring rates and determine they'd be good for you? I'm just curious.

I'm not saying you made a huge mistake (I don't think you did and you could have done worse. However I think details matter and those springs tend to ride harder for no more benefit in handling than some others, which is why I don't choose to use them. But there are certainly worse springs!

FWIW, there are better swaybars than Eibach too. Like the same sizes but hollow and adjustable on the rear as well as the front. Some guy named Strano makes a set like that.
lol ill have to check that Strano fellow out. The reason I went with the Eibach was again price. Both bars for $220 shipped! I got the GT500 set up with a 35mm front and a 24mm rear... I noticed a lot of the custom ones go for that a piece...
Old 12-30-2010, 05:04 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Then you're going to love it when you hear I took the 24mm rear bar that my car came with, off the car for my adjustable 22mm.... and it works better. A 24mm is just too big, especially if you run aftermarket springs.

I'm familiar with Eibach stuff, I raced a Shelby GT for years which has Pro-kits and their 35/22 bars. And again, based on that car, 24mm is too big to be proper. Remember that a GT500 has inherent push due to heavier nose weight and bigger rear wheels. GT's are better balanced. Yes, the '11 GT's have a 24mm rear bar too--and it's too large IMHO.

Nice prices are great, if you are getting the best product for the job. I mention this from time to time, but there is a quote attributed to Ben Franklin that says "the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten". While I can't say Eibach is garbage stuff, having nice quality but maybe not ideal design is a similar thing.....
Old 12-30-2010, 07:37 PM
VetteHunter
1st Gear Member

indeed you are correct. But I figure a 24mm is better than the stock piece. I will probably invest in your 22mm adjustable later down the road, once I have saved up enough. For now though, I am happy with the Eibach, and I don't have any complaints yet.

As far as why I chose the Pro Kit, I went off someone's advice on the other forums, a guy whos really into suspension, he does it for a living. And he mentioned the ideal spring rate for the S197, and even though the Eibach is progressive instead of linear, I decided that it was close enough. The guy said that the Steed Sports are the most ideal, however, the Pro Kit was over $100 cheaper for me.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:33 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I've seen a lot advice from forums, some of which is flat terrible. Do you know the guy making the recommendations? What has he done? These are important things when picking parts. Your springs, not so bad... The bars, that's the worse set of Eibach bars you could have picked. Sure the price was good--but when you have to go back and tweak it up to make it as good as you could have, what have you saved?

Close enough? Well, I guess that's where our thinking differs. If I'm spending good money, I learned long ago that most anytime I said "good enough" or "this'll save me a few bucks" it wasn't ideal. Either didn't last as long, or didn't work quite the way I though, something.

Bang for the buck isn't a measure only of dollars spent--it's *value* for the dollars spent.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:33 PM
VetteHunter
1st Gear Member

oh.. well im happy with the sway bars i got. Once i get more advanced in my skills maybe ill swap out the rear... but for now its good enough for me.

Quick Reply: Best Non-Adjustable Dampers