Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Steeda Sport front springs question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 03:11 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Default Steeda Sport front springs question...

I have the Steeda Sport springs (front & back). The stock front springs have a poly sleeve at the bottom, and the Steeda Sports don't. The Steedas are installed, and have been for several months. I'm noticing a squeaking/creaking in the front suspension when going over speed bumps or driveway entrances, or when parked and pushing down on the fender to work the suspension. I know the shop I had replace the springs didn't do anything about a new sleeve or transferring it over from the stock springs. Is it likely that that is what is causing the noise, that the Steedas need the sleeve? Can the sleeve be purchased? Or should it just be transferred? I tried a little taking it off the old springs and it seems there is a bit of glue holding it in place along the outside coil of the springs (not enough to prevent removal), if transferred does some adhesive need to be applied?
Or am I barking down the wrong path altogether?

Thanks.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:15 PM
dan02gt

You do need that sleeve the shop should have transfered it from the stock springs to the Steedas. I think it's main purpose is to reduce NVH so I'm sure having would help your situation. You don't need to put any adhesive on it if you transfer the old one. The stock strut mounts are also another source of popping and creaking on lowered cars do to them not handling the increased spring rates that well. You should look into the GT500 mounts if the sleeves don't fix the issue.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:41 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

I've already got Koni Sport Dampers and the Steeda HD strut mounts installed, so I'm guessing it is not that. I wouldn't describe the sound as popping.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:31 PM
SilverHoss
1st Gear Member

Most likely it's not to do with your springs, it's the sway bar bushings squeaking. You have to re-lube those poly bushings, sometimes pretty often. When ever I get the squeaking/creaking, I know it's time, and I take the swaybar bushings off and re-lube. Just happened to me last week - nice and quiet now...
Use a good synthetic, waterproof lube, like the "superlube" or bushing lube that prothane sells and you don;t have to do this as often.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:12 AM
dan02gt

danzcool,

It's hard to really say then without hearing it, but I can tell you that I have the Steeda Ultralites installed with the Koni Str.ts and mine is quite as a mouse. If I'm understanding you correctly you have the Steeda HD shock mounts, Koni sports, and Steeda Sports installed with no spring Isolators. If that is correct the metal on metal between the springs and the struts is going to make some noise. The Steeda HD mounts are great as far as strength and performance is concerned, but this strength comes at the price of NVH that's going to be amplified by the not have the isolators installed. Lubing the bushing like SilverHoss said and install the isolators and see where your setting afterwards.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:30 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Well, I lubed the front bushings and now I don't hear any sound from the front, but now I hear the creaking distinctly from the rear. I guess I need to get back there now.
BTW, I didn't bother with the sleeves at this time.