Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Thinking of modding my suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 08:36 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Default Thinking of modding my suspension

Let me start by saying that I honestly don't know anything about suspension, so don't get really technical with me, because it will all go over my head.

Anyways, lemme give you all the disorganized pieces of my thought process...

I have a 2006 V6 with the pony package.
I want something to improve overall ride quality. I am mainly focused on making the car feel smoother going over small bumps, cracks, and during hard cornering. I don't race or anything like that, so the really expensive, heavy duty performance parts aren't needed. I can't lower the car because it barely can get up the driveway as it is. I have maybe an inch of clearance, so if it had to be lowered, it would have to be something minuscule like half an inch. I am not looking to spend a whole lot of money either, although I really don't have a limit or budget that I would be sticking to. In fact, I am not even sure that I am going to touch the suspension, I am just playing with the thought right now.

So what would you guys recommend?
Old 03-07-2011, 07:54 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Anything? Anyone?

Echo..... echo....... echo.....
Old 03-07-2011, 09:36 AM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

I'd start with a set of Koni Yellows or STR.T's (depending on whether or not you want adjustability) and see how you like it after that. I'm not aware of any lowering springs that only lower 1/2".
Old 03-07-2011, 02:14 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

I've heard good things about those both, but can someone explain adjustability to me?
Old 03-07-2011, 03:03 PM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

Adjustability in the case of dampers (shocks) means that you can change the damping rate. The Koni Yellows are one-way adjustable, which means that they have one adjustment range (rebound damping). Another one-way adjustable damper is the Tokico D-Spec, which has one adjustment that changes both compression and rebound.

Compression damping is how much the damper tries to resist being compressed (the wheel bumping up towards the body); rebound damping is resistance to lengthening (the wheel drooping away from the body). So on the Koni's, when you turn the screw you are changing the resistance of the shock to letting the wheel droop. I'll let some of the more knowledgeable folks here explain what benefit the different amounts of rebound damping can do for you.

High end race type shocks are commonly 4-way adjustable. They have independent adjustments for compression and rebound in both low speed and high speed movement (ie. low speed being something like braking and high speed being something like hitting a bump or pothole).
Old 03-07-2011, 07:36 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Thanks for clearing that up!
Old 03-07-2011, 07:48 PM
MrLatte

It looks like the H&R OE Sport Springs only drop the car .75" front and rear max. If you don't want to worry about tweaking your structs/shocks take a look at the Koni Str.ts.

http://www.hrsprings.com/products/springs/
Old 03-07-2011, 07:59 PM
DRock
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrLatte
It looks like the H&R OE Sport Springs only drop the car .75" front and rear max. If you don't want to worry about tweaking your structs/shocks take a look at the Koni Str.ts.

http://www.hrsprings.com/products/springs/
This is the exact recomendation i was going to make.

Those Koni STR.T's would be more than good for you and the springs will be a lil stiffer, and a lil lower.

Your in a win, win spot here
Old 03-07-2011, 09:00 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Seems that the STR.Ts are where its at. Thanks guys!

Time to start saving......
Old 03-07-2011, 09:08 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Anyone know how much it would be to have someone install these?

Quick Reply: Thinking of modding my suspension