Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Camber question

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 08:45 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Yes, it was within spec, but only just barely, and all that really means is that Ford wouldn't be required to make it any better if those were the measurements made in one of their shops. When even a newbie DIY'er to front end alignment can be expected to work an suspension with adjustability to a quarter of a degree or better in his own driveway, plus/minus three times that is a pretty sloppy definition of "OK" for a shop don't ya think?

IMO, you'd have to be playing in the corners at least moderately hard a good part of the time to live with those settings long-term. And that's not exactly the sort of driving that you'd expect all that many 4.0 Mustangs to be subjected to (no flame intended).

Separately, the "cross" measurements are both in the "wrong" directions, relative to common settings made to alleviate tendencies to drift down toward gutters and/or drainage sitches on crowned roads. This bothers some people more than it does others.

Keep in mind that cars, and the alignment results of suspension changes & modifications made to them, are both subject to tolerance. Before I swapped the Konis in, my own GT cambers measured about -1.8° with the entire front suspension completely stock, as-delivered, and untouched until that time (not even re-aligned). There's at least a fair chance that OP's car had more than the preferred -0.75° to begin with, at least on the left side. There's an equally fair chance that your cambers were both less negative than -0.75° before modding. IOW, you can't really extend that part of your experience to what others can expect from theirs.

Norm
I wasn't, I was just saying!
Old 03-28-2011, 08:55 AM
J2L06GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by allinon72
Anyone know if doing this will affect caster or toe?
You will get a little bit more toe-in, easy adj to correct,
caster is not affected.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:27 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I appreciate everyones suggestions and ideas!
Old 03-28-2011, 12:38 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
Kevin,

So they pretty much told you everything was in spec when you went to get an alignment? We have the same springs and I never got an alignment after I put the springs on 13k miles ago and I just did my shocks too, no alignment. And I never had any wear issues or the car doing anything funny...
Actually, Kauffman never did say if the cambers were in spec or not. They focused more on telling me that they corrected the toe. The tech that did my alignment was unable to discuss in detail, so I did research on my own and learned that the camber was in spec, but on the high end. I am going to drive around until my next oil change/tire rotation and see how everything looks then. Everything seems to be OK, especially when cornering! The only big difference I noticed when driving over bumps or dips in the road, it feels like I am going to bounce out of my seat! lol If things are not to my liking, Kaufmann quoted me $80 per side to install the camber kit.

Last edited by kevinmalec; 03-28-2011 at 12:43 PM.