Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Diff spit up a bit on track; cause for concern?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 10:44 AM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

Can't say for certain, but I'm 99% sure it's the same axle on the 2011+ cars so I'd bet you just need the turkey-baster lookalike part that replaces the little spring valve thing to fix the issue. I went and got one and have yet to put it on, but it looks like about a 5-minute job and should solve the problem. Need to check my fluid level too and top off if necessary. I don't think all that much leaked, but it's hard to tell when it goes everywhere. Just get the part number that JAJ put in his post.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:08 PM
corruptor

Good call - Thanks DPE!
Old 05-15-2011, 04:21 PM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

Got the part put on and checked my fluid level. Level was fine; didn't drip from the hole, but was just a tiny bit below it. Gotta love the stinkyness. Turkey baster fits up there fine, but I question the wisdom of putting rubber and plastic parts that close to the exhaust system. I hope they're made of good stuff! The OEM spring valve comes off with a 15mm, while the turkey baster is a 13mm. Just to save you a trip to the toolbox .
Old 05-19-2011, 10:53 PM
Drano38

I was at Mid America Motorplex for the first time on 6 May, at about 2,000 miles on my GT. Got home, and the axle was wet by the vent. Took the TSB number into the local dealer asking what they new about it. They said it would fix the leaking. I asked who pays, and he said they did under warranty. So of course I had them do it. Didn't cost me a dime.
I'll know how well it works when I get back from MAM's/Iowa BMW club Jun driving school.
Bottom line, take the TSB number into your dealer, tell them you have done some spirited driving, and that you feel it needs to be warranty repaired.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:17 PM
corruptor

I finally got the part in the mail today and decided to put it on right away. Spent a good 15 minutes looking for the stock vent cap that from what I've read, should be on the passenger side of the axle. However, the only vent I found was on the driver side. Can someone help confirm I pulled the right part off my car?

Thanks!
Old 05-28-2011, 01:10 AM
JAJ
2nd Gear Member

You replaced the correct part.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:00 AM
corruptor

Thanks JAJ
Old 05-29-2011, 11:11 PM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

Kinda weird; did they switch sides for 2011 or 2012? Or is it a variable thing? I guess who cares, but yeah, mine was on the passenger side. Clearly you replaced the right part though, so no worries.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:06 PM
corruptor

Well, this is annoying. Went on a spirited canyon run over the weekend and today when leaving for work, noticed quite a few drops of oil on my driveway. I just got home from work and went under the car and found oil all over the place, except on the axle tube. I think what happened was the oil came out from the vent cap on the top of the turkey baster and got on my muffler and various pipes/tubes in that area. So I suppose it's still possible for oil to come out of that axle vent. I wonder if i should put the stock part back on, go for a hard drive, and let it leak out a bit more cause it seems like it might be overfilled.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:00 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

So, I noticed this issue this weekend under "heavy acceleration" (mojave mile.. 0-160ish). I'll probably have the dealer do the TSB (it's drivetrain warranty, right?), but I'd like to fab up a catch can setup, anyone have a list of parts, or at least the first piece from axle tube to hose barb?

Quick Reply: Diff spit up a bit on track; cause for concern?