Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Roush, rear lowering springs ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 09:46 AM
dadnpony
1st Gear Member

Default Roush, rear lowering springs ???

I'm looking to install the Roush rear lowering springs. Its supposed
to drop the back 1" and level car out. That's all I'm looking to do as far as
lowering the suspension. My Question is any comments about this spring set
and will the stock shocks be OK, or should I replace the shocks also with say
a Koni or Roush shock ?
Thanks for advice
Old 05-20-2011, 07:02 AM
MeanStang08
ChopShop Mod-tator

If this is the Roush Extreme Spring, Roush actually recomends you use the stock shock with it.

i personally think the stance looks better when both front & rear are lowered 1.25" in the rear and 1" up front (my Eibachs are like this) and i kept my stock shocks.. works great..

good luck!
Old 05-20-2011, 07:36 AM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

If you are referring to the blue Roush springs (401295), your assumptions are correct as they do a nice job of leveling the car. I ran a set on my car for a year on an otherwise stock suspension and had no issues.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:15 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I'd think that just lowering the rear an inch (or so) without touching the front ride height would give the car sort of "taildragger" stance. Like the 60's leaf spring cars looked after the springs got tired and settled.

A nose up/tail down attitude is bad for aero, both for fuel economy and high speed stability & steering response reasons.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 05-20-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:01 PM
MeanStang08
ChopShop Mod-tator

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
I'd think that just lowering the rear an inch (or so) without touching the front ride height would give the car sort of "taildragger" stance. Like the 60's leaf spring cars looked after the springs got tired and settled.

A nose up/tail down attitude is bad for aero, both for fuel economy and high speed stability & steering response reasons.

Norm
yeah, if you're a gasser with a straight front axle and zoomie headers that might look good..
Old 05-21-2011, 02:55 PM
dadnpony
1st Gear Member

I actually had them installed yesterday and was happy with the result.
It did level the car out but kept the back up about a 1/4" higher then the
front. So it doesn't have the higher in the front look. Handling was a bit better also. I rolled into a nice Hy/wy turn this morning at about 70 and
she stood pretty flat.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:33 PM
HOTRODD77
2nd Gear Member

Question

Originally Posted by dadnpony
I actually had them installed yesterday and was happy with the result.
It did level the car out but kept the back up about a 1/4" higher then the
front. So it doesn't have the higher in the front look. Handling was a bit better also. I rolled into a nice Hy/wy turn this morning at about 70 and
she stood pretty flat.
Those springs still working out for you? Did they settle at all, or are you still pretty level? Can you post some pics of you car how it sits now? I am also thinking of doing just the Roush springs in the back...
Old 06-06-2011, 01:11 PM
dadnpony
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by HOTRODD77
Those springs still working out for you? Did they settle at all, or are you still pretty level? Can you post some pics of you car how it sits now? I am also thinking of doing just the Roush springs in the back...
Yes, Car still level and have no issues. Took some pics today for you to see.
Drops the rear wheel well even with the front. It did what I was looking for.
Hope this helps your desicion. I'm only rolling on 18's so if you have 19's or larger you'll have even less of a well.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:33 AM
workshop

Question Installed Roush rear springs; Q re. upper control arm retorque at new ride height

I installed the Roush lowering springs on the rear only, on my 2006 Mustang V6. The ride height is settling out at about 28 to 28 1/4 in., which is effectively a 1-in drop. The springs do not degrade ride quality; the car is tighter; wheel hop is reduced; the rear transmits slightly more noise going over bumps and tar strips on the highway.

Question for suspension gurus. Is it necessary to loosen and retorque the upper trailing arm after installing these springs?

Found the following in the Roush instructions for ROUSH Wheel Hop Reduction Kit Part # R06030084 and wonder if this step should be included for the springs installation.

"As packaged, the Bracket and Upper Trailing Arm are preassembled in
the required position to function properly on a stock ride height Mustang GT. If the vehicle ride height has been altered, it will be necessary to loosen the forward bushing bolt and retorque the assembly with the components in the vehicle and the axle positioned at the intended ride height (neutralized). Failure to do this will result in dramatically shortened bushing life and probable increased wheel hop. "

Thanks
Old 06-10-2011, 09:05 PM
SchneidyP4.6
2nd Gear Member

just get k springs...

Quick Reply: Roush, rear lowering springs ???