Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

UMI LCA installation instructions

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 03:11 PM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Question UMI LCA installation instructions

So I bought some UMI LCA's second hand. They are the 1057's that Sam Strano sells with the roto-joint at one end. Does anyone have the installation instructions for these? Mine did not come with instructions and I just want to confirm a few things.

I know that to roto-joint goes towards the rear and the bushing end goes towards the front. Also, I believe the grease fittings are supposed to point towards the ground. While that may be enough info to install them correctly I want to make sure about the offsets. Do the offsets at the rear go towards the center of the car? These LCA's no longer have stickers on them which I think probably would've pointed towards to wheels.

Any advice is appreciated. Actual UMI instructions would be appreciated even more.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:03 PM
Ford-a-tude
2nd Gear Member

Mine came with the stickers on a sheet, which I chose not to apply. What is this offset you are concerned with? I don't remember there being anything unique about either LCA. As long as you get the bushing ends correct, which I think you have you should be fine.

Do you have the little spanner wrench to open the roto joints? I would recommend opening them to inspect the delrin inserts. I also HIGHLY recommend using some blue loctite on the end rings because every roto joint on my car has loosened up and backed off enough to start clunking!
Old 05-18-2011, 07:08 AM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Ford-a-tude - In the pic you posted in your thread --> https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...oto-joint.html you can see the offset. The one where all the parts are laying side by side. Look at the roto-joint end of the LCA's. There is an offset whereby the one on the left offsets to the left and the one on the right offsets to the right. Not sure how else to explain it but, it's clearly visible in that picture. All other brands that I was able to find instructions for said that this offset goes towards the center of the car. Just trying to confirm the same for the UMI's.

You wouldn't happend to still have the instructions that came with yours would you? If so, can you scan and email them to me? I will pm my email address to you.

Last edited by dcarlinf1; 05-18-2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:39 AM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

Hey dcarlinf1,
I got the same exact LCA's and I have the instructions still. I installed them last night. I have learned a lot in the past couple days so I wanted to give advice before you made some of my mistakes.
1. it calls for you to tighten them to 72 ft pounds of torque (I did 129 ft pounds because that is what I read all over the forums) Sam said it should be fine.
2. I don't know if there was an offset...I need to check for that. And yes, the grease fittings are pointed down.
3. Use blue locktight
4. It calls for using the stock bolts a 2nd time around and its fine.
5. Do not torque the bolts until the suspension is under load (I didn't know this and I didn't do it)

My problem now is I'm getting a noise in the car. sounds like a brake pad barley touching a rotor...almost metal to metal. I will call Sam today to get advice. But I'm guessing I need to loosen the bolts, put the car on the ground and re-torque to 72 foot pounds (sam thinks that is a little light and didn't think 100 ft pounds would be a bad idea)

I do have the instructions still....I can take a picture of them and email/text them to you if you would like. If it matters, they are only about one page long and I already told you the major details (torque specs)

I hope that helps
Old 04-23-2013, 10:48 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

You need to install them so the body of the control arm is closest to the wheel. If you look at the roto-joint, you'll notice one side sticks out further than the other, you want the side that sticks out further pointing towards the center of the car on both sides, thereby shifting the arm towards the tires.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:00 AM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
You need to install them so the body of the control arm is closest to the wheel. If you look at the roto-joint, you'll notice one side sticks out further than the other, you want the side that sticks out further pointing towards the center of the car on both sides, thereby shifting the arm towards the tires.
Thanks, I know I have a 50/50 shot of putting them on correctly...with my luck I did it wrong. I will check them tonight