Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

REAR SPRINGS ONLY KIT - Need Input/Pole

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 09:42 AM
OneLargeToe
1st Gear Member

I purchased the Roush Rear springs to do just this. I think the stock front-end looks pretty decent but the jacked-up rear has got to go.

Anyway, can anyone give me a ballpark estimate what to expect, cost-wise, to have these springs installed? I called the local Ford dealer and I think they wanted $150 to install then another $70 to line-up the rear end.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:35 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

No.

I want my car to handle better than it looks like it should, instead of impressing people who don't know that there is a difference.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 10-10-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:17 AM
Bucephalus

OK guys here it is!

When I bought my 2011 Brembo Brake Package Mustang, I knew that it also included a totally different suspension system, than the standard GT.

The Ford Engineers designed the Brembo Suspension to work at its maximum while retaining everyday drivability

Higher springs rates were used, struts and shocks were revalved and the electric power-assisted steering, (EPAS) was custom tuned to work within the parameters of the suspension, thus creating a “perfect” suspension package.

However, the one thing that disturbed me and many others was the fact that the wheel well gap between the fender and the tire was 3/4” higher in the rear than in the front. Creating an abnormal "bug like"stance.

While there are many Lowering Spring Kits currently available that could get rid of the “ugly gap” or “stance”, none of them are the solution and here is why.

Some will argue that if you want the suspension to perform “better than stock” you need to do a whole host of other modifications.

Starting with the usual Lowing Spring Kits, they naturally have extremely high spring rates, which then require adding adjustable struts and shocks to dampen and soften the hard jolt of the rebound and of course you will be told you should upgrade this and that suspension component in order to get maximum performance out of this combination.

While this may be true for an all out “road race mustang” or if you do a lot of “autocross” events, it’s not true for the majority of Mustang Owners.

The aftermarket Industry has done a fantastic marketing job, convincing 98% of Mustang Owners, that they NEED to have these parts in order to have high performance.

But lost in all this hype is the simple fact that the majority of Mustangs never see “racing conditions”. With that said, why would these Mustang Owners want to compromise their finely tuned factory suspension system, sacrifice their ride quality and of course, lighten their wallets with the continuous need for other suspension components that are not practical in the everyday drive and often work in a cyclical band aid fashion.

After a year of researching spring rates, blueprints, talking to engineers, racers, and mustang owners, I finally had a set of goals to aim for.

I wanted to retain the factory ride quality, I wanted the suspension to perform the same or better and most importantly I had to have the correct and equal stance that the factory didn’t give the Mustang.

Working with a major spring manufacturer, we utilized several computer programs to design and test my new spring. Finally, real world testing of prototype springs were put on vehicles to test in real word driving conditions on the mean streets and highways of Southern California.

All the work culminated, into Route 66 Speed Shop’s 55D Spring Kit specifically designed for the 2011-2012 Brembo Package Mustangs. This kit has many advantages.

First, it lowers the rear end of the car by 1/2” and gives the Mustang a much lower and equal stance with a very slight rake.

Second, The Lowered Spring height also equalizes the “center of gravity” front to rear for improved handling.

Third, the Brembo Suspension System has not been compromised due to the fact that the OEM Spring Rates are still retained and continue to be tuned to the OEM struts and shocks.

Finally, because the 55D Spring Kit only consists of rear springs, there is no need to have the front end re-aligned. There is no need to buy expensive adjustable struts and shocks to soften the rebound. There is also no need to buy an adjustable panhard bar, because the rear end doesn’t shift due to the fact that the rear end hasn’t been lowered beyond 7/8” of an inch.

So there you have it, Route 66 Speed Shops’ 55D Spring Kit, it gives your Brembo Mustang, The Ride, the Look and the Performance.

Check out what they look like on my car:
http://brembo50.com/Content/Members/...5&dh=16&cppr=0

Last edited by Bucephalus; 10-11-2011 at 12:51 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:58 AM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Yes, I would consider it if it either improves the handling or maintains the same handling characteristics. Where can this Route 66 Speed Shops’ 55D Spring Kit be purchased? Link?
Old 10-11-2011, 10:53 AM
Bucephalus

Originally Posted by dcarlinf1
Yes, I would consider it if it either improves the handling or maintains the same handling characteristics. Where can this Route 66 Speed Shops’ 55D Spring Kit be purchased? Link?
It really does, we worked hard on this one. You can pre-order these from Route 66 Speed Shop for December 2011 release. Only 25 sets are currently slated to be made.

They can be found at:
http://route66speedshop.com/new-products.html
Old 10-11-2011, 12:02 PM
Wayno

Default Too easy

Don't pay someone to do it!!!! Piece of cake to do with a jack and stands. Do a Google and you can find simple, simple directions!!! You will hate to pay someone once you see how easy it is!

Unless you are "really" road racing or auto crossing (for real) not spirited driving like 99% of stangers. Putting a set of rear only springs (recommend Roush) you will feel NO, NONE, zero ride harshness, NO handling issues, little better handling and will level the car. So the question is why not do it? Don't let anyone here scare you into NOT doing this!!! with handling, suspension issues etc..

Originally Posted by OneLargeToe
I purchased the Roush Rear springs to do just this. I think the stock front-end looks pretty decent but the jacked-up rear has got to go.

Anyway, can anyone give me a ballpark estimate what to expect, cost-wise, to have these springs installed? I called the local Ford dealer and I think they wanted $150 to install then another $70 to line-up the rear end.

Last edited by Wayno; 10-11-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:55 PM
Bucephalus

It's True, Rear Springs are a very easy install. Just remember that if the springs lower the car more than 7/8" you will need to make adjustments and may need a adjustable panhard bar.

That's why Route 66 Speed Shop made sure that their 55D Spring Kit took in as many factors as possible.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:31 PM
Bucephalus

PICTURE OF BEFORE & AFTER with 55D SPRING KIT made for THE 2011-12 BREMBO MUSTANGS

Old 10-16-2011, 11:05 AM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

Would those springs work on a 2010 GT or are the rates and length vastly different?
Old 10-18-2011, 12:39 AM
Bucephalus

Originally Posted by STANGmole
Would those springs work on a 2010 GT or are the rates and length vastly different?
I don't know what the rates are for the 2010 GT. So I'm assuming that they are close to the 2011 GT (There should be a difference based on engines)

But here are the rates for the 2011 GT

2011 GT (standard)= Front: 123 lbs / Rear: 156 lbs
2011 GT (Brembo) = Front: 131 lbs / Rear: 167 lbs

The 55D Rear Spring Kit is : 167 lbs

The spring length between these two cars are the same.

The 55D Spring Kit was specifically designed to work with Brembo Suspension. It works the best in that application, because it's already tuned into the package as a whole

However that doesn't mean that it wouldn't be beneficial in other applications. Like yours.

On face value, It only looks like (55D Kit) its just a higher 12 lbs rate over the standard GT. But if your using"stock" GT shocks they are valved softer then the Brembos which could lead to some bounce, not much.

That being said, it can't be any worse of a ride than any other rear springs in other kits that drop the car 1" and also have much higher spring rates.

Aside from a better look, handling will also improve over the "stock" rear spring and so will traction.

So personally I think it would work out great!