Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

What is the best way to improve handling on 2012 GT

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 08:37 AM
Pakman

Talking What is the best way to improve handling on 2012 GT

Should I replace the springs or replace the sway bars? I want to improve the handling in cornering and have less dip in the suspension.but don't want to feel every bump on the road. I do have 20inch Foose rims so I need to know which spring or sway bar will work?

Thanks,

Last edited by Pakman; 11-06-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:45 AM
LindsayEOD
1st Gear Member

I think if you want better handling, most people will tell you to do springs and dampers first. Whenever I have questions like this, I give Sam Strano a call. He is always willing to help, even if you dont buy from him.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:22 AM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

Springs and dampers for sure, sway bars would be right in there too. Erik
Old 11-06-2011, 07:31 PM
uin2it
3rd Gear Member

For a leveled look go with the Steeda Sport Springs and Koni STR.t struts/shox....
If you like the raked look then keep with the Koni STR.t's but do FRPP "P prings"

(Steeda Sports lower the car 1" front 1.5" rear, FRPP's lower the car 1" all the way around) P.S> The FRPP "K Springs" drop the car 1.5" all the way around.

If you go with Sway bars the Strano pieces are lighter than stock and the rear is adjustable along with the fronts.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Pakman

Uin2it are you saying if I do the spring I also need to do the shocks as well?
Old 11-06-2011, 10:06 PM
Pakman

Originally Posted by uin2it
For a leveled look go with the Steeda Sport Springs and Koni STR.t struts/shox....
If you like the raked look then keep with the Koni STR.t's but do FRPP "P prings"

(Steeda Sports lower the car 1" front 1.5" rear, FRPP's lower the car 1" all the way around) P.S> The FRPP "K Springs" drop the car 1.5" all the way around.

If you go with Sway bars the Strano pieces are lighter than stock and the rear is adjustable along with the fronts.

So if I do the springs do I need to do the shocks?
Old 11-06-2011, 11:37 PM
Whiskey11
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Pakman
So if I do the springs do I need to do the shocks?
Need is subjective. Tons of people who have run the stock shocks/struts on lowering springs. I don't recommend it as your car will ride like crap and probably wont handle any better either. You can also shorten the life of the shocks/struts as they will be working harder to control the stiffer spring rates. There are some other suspension geometry changes that come with springs. An adjustable panhard bar at a minimum should be added, although I'm sure everyone here also recommends changing out the strut mounts as well since they are technically "one time use."

I wouldn't do anything half arsed if you can afford not to. If you are going to lower it, do it correctly. Strut mounts, shocks/struts, springs, panhard rod. I would start there if you wanted to lower the car. I would then start looking at adjustable sway bars, then adjustable UCA's and UCA mounts, some LCA relocation brackets and some LCA's.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:32 AM
Pakman

Talking

Originally Posted by Whiskey11
Need is subjective. Tons of people who have run the stock shocks/struts on lowering springs. I don't recommend it as your car will ride like crap and probably wont handle any better either. You can also shorten the life of the shocks/struts as they will be working harder to control the stiffer spring rates. There are some other suspension geometry changes that come with springs. An adjustable panhard bar at a minimum should be added, although I'm sure everyone here also recommends changing out the strut mounts as well since they are technically "one time use."

I wouldn't do anything half arsed if you can afford not to. If you are going to lower it, do it correctly. Strut mounts, shocks/struts, springs, panhard rod. I would start there if you wanted to lower the car. I would then start looking at adjustable sway bars, then adjustable UCA's and UCA mounts, some LCA relocation brackets and some LCA's.

I appreciate your advise!
Old 11-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Pakman-

I'm going to caution you a bit on relying too much on the answers you get to your questions, mostly because the questions are way to vague to answer with any reasonable certainty (at least for me, I'm sure lots of other shops will slap you on the back and tell that they've got exactly what you need).

The issue here is simple. What do you want the car to do different? That's the question I'd need answered, and "handle better" is a generic answer like "go faster" and it's not much to go on. Sure we all want a car to handle better, but that's like feeling a little off and going to the doctor and saying you want to feel better. Ok, but what's wrong with you? See what I mean?
Old 11-07-2011, 06:09 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Pakman
Should I replace the springs or replace the sway bars? I want to improve the handling in cornering and have less dip in the suspension.but don't want to feel every bump on the road. I do have 20inch Foose rims so I need to know which spring or sway bar will work?

Thanks,
Originally Posted by Whiskey11

^^Agreed. The correct answer is all of the above, but between springs or sway bars, I'd install the lowering springs first. However, all of the parts play an important role in the suspension system.

Some people will try to over-complicate your question, but it's no big mystery. Those of us who actually drive our S197s on a daily basis can relate to your desire "to improve the handling in cornering and have less dip in the suspension" without feeling every bump in the road. This forum is packed full of enthusiasts that have been there and tried different parts to address the problem. While a lot of people will simply say that the parts they chose are the best ones, you can sort through the different posts and get a general feel for a recipe that will improve your handling.

And of course, the site sponsors (like me!) are always happy to help point you in the right direction.

Quick Reply: What is the best way to improve handling on 2012 GT