Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Changing a GT to a Boss?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 08:38 AM
jlwdvm
1st Gear Member

Very good point! I ride mountain and road bikes. A person can spend over $10k for a bike, but if they aren't in shape it isn't gonna matter! I put my name in the hat for some Koni yellows that Sam thinks will be heading out the door after xmas. Springs and Sway bars. along with Motul brake fluid will also be on the way.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:43 AM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

All things being equal though, the improvements in the aftermarket immediately make up for weaknesses having to do with the price point of the car.

Since I felt i got a great deal on my Saleen Series VI SC and basic Saleen suspension back in 06', that alone was a huge improvement. Then adding on all the good stuff through Gus at Steeda, LCA's, STB, shock TB, G-trac bar,front swaybar braces, Front LCA relocation kit, X-5 ball joints, bumpsteer, and then Big brakes, widwr wheels, wide summer tires, watts link. Then all the weight loss options as well.

Currently, I'm below my initial delivery weight of 3490 lbs even with all the stuff listed above, and it corners on a dime. I'm glad I built out my car this way, Erik
Old 12-23-2011, 11:31 AM
jlwdvm
1st Gear Member

Parts are arriving daily. Thought I might have to wait a while for the Koni Yellows, but they are also on the way along with Strano sway bars, and a bunch of other stuff from Sam and American Muscle! The list included: Ford big brake kit, Ford brake cooling ducts, Bama SCT tuner and tunes, Steeda upper strut mounts, Koni Yellows, Strano Sway Bars, High temp brake fluid, Boss Fascia and front splitter.
My car already has a GT500 spoiler, GT500 SVT 19" wheels and Super Car tires (255 and 285), Barton shifter, C&L CAI. Should be a good starting point.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

You won't have to wait a while. Maybe until Tuesday, that's all. They are on the way.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:12 PM
jlwdvm
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the fast service Sam! Got the Steeda's and rear Koni's yesterday. Don't know if anything has come today yet.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:39 PM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

Anybody check out C&D's lightning lap? High praise for the Boss, and 6 sec faster than the GT on a track with low grip. What kind/size of tires does the Boss LS run anyway?

I don't get their praise for the epas. Isn't the Boss system the same as the GT's?
Old 12-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

A Boss has more power than a standard GT, and at a track like VIR you can use power. It willl make a difference in lap time. The Laguna cars also run a much stickier P Zero Corsa tire vs. the P Zero's that normal Boss and Brembo cars have. And Laguna's have some downforce too from the splitter and rear spoiler.

Again, the engine is a great part. But suspension wise it's not very special and easily built and frankly improved upon. Buy a boss for the engine if you want that, not the suspension.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:38 PM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

Sam, I've got the Koni yellows/steeda sport springs and HD upper strut mounts, which I bought from you. I'm very happy with the result, but I've never driven a Boss LS, or even a 'regular' Boss. I'd probably have to buy one if I really want to experience it. I'm running the OE sway bars, but I'm considering using your adjustable bars. I got very heavy wear on the outside shoulder of the OE PZeros. Could this be due to the OE sways, or am I running too low tire pressures (41 hot = 35 cold)? Camber is -1.5.

Numbers like C&D put up really make me wonder what's so special about the Boss LS. You're one of the very few people who has experienced both, and has the credibility to make a distinction.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:57 AM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

You guys with the 2011/2012's have it easy IMO. Compared to the 05-10's, all you have to do with the 11' is get more breathing and air induction as well as an excellent 93 octane high performance tune and you should be at 445-450HP.

Add Sam's routine to the suspension, a functional chin splitter and the rear diffuser rear facia, better rubber all around and your done. $6,000 and your home. Erik
Old 12-29-2011, 07:44 AM
jlwdvm
1st Gear Member

My car has a GT500 rear spoiler on it. Anybody know if it gives as much down force (if any) as the Boss LS spoiler? Would a rear diffuser make much difference? Which one? Seen that the trans cooler scoop can be had for around $100.

Quick Reply: Changing a GT to a Boss?