Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Driver's Aids

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 08:19 PM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackBetty
The thing with traction control is that sometimes the right thing to do to "catch" the car in a race situation is to apply throttle; and sometimes the traction control decides that it's going to get in your way.

I've never run a road course but for autocross I always disable traction control.
QFT, when the rear brakes out in a turn, counter-steer isn't doing crap if you've lost power to 'push' 'er through due to TC kicking in.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:27 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

traction control will kill your brake pads too the faster you get on a road course. these cars need to slide around for good time. I've gone off the track once when Tc kicked in on some bumps coming out of a moderate speed corner because the car wouldn't rotate once Tc kicked in. it also killed that pads that day.

the traction control system is fairly smooth on the boss 302 anyway, not sure if its the same as ll the other GTs or not honestly. the instructor had said he couldn't even feel it. once you start pushing you can feel it frequently even in sport mode. i turn it off now and just beware that you are on your own. it's worth noting too that the TCs and advancetrack will not save you in these cars if you do something that quickly exceeds the traction you have available.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:47 PM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

I didn't realize there was a form of aids only spread and suffered by drivers.

Bahdoom psshhhhh....Thank you, I ll be here all night. Erik
Old 01-21-2012, 04:41 PM
sonnier
2nd Gear Member

I always turn the TC off (now) on the track because it uses the brakes. I've had brake fade because of it in the past and in turn have done some unintented off-roading.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:07 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Let's assume that the TC actually was very effective.

Why would you want it to always default to being active in the first place? Why shouldn't it be available only when you ask for it so that you can get the car moving?

Norm
Old 01-25-2012, 09:54 AM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

On an unfamiliar or 'green' track (road course), I run TCS off, Stability Control on for a session or two. The TCS just kills your speed coming out of corners, but stability control doesn't mess with you too much at 9/10ths. Once comfy, it all gets turned off as stability control really shuts down rotation under trail braking. And trail braking is something this car responds to very well.

These systems are not like some sort of Ferrari-style F1 system that actually helps you get around a track quicker. They are safety systems that do a great job of keeping you on the road but will slow you down on a road course or autox.

My car, on a track particularly, is really very benign. It's still a V8 muscle car and can certainly get you in trouble, but it's well-balanced for what it is and it doesn't do anything unexpected. Not saying I won't pitch it off the track at some point in the future, but generally speaking it's a fairly easy car to drive fast without any electronic assistance.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:45 PM
Campo 427R
1st Gear Member

In my track experience as both driver and coach, novice road course track drivers have an instructor/coach in the passenger seat that are available the entire day. They teach "the line" for the track, braking zones, shift points, flags, etc. They will suggest that you keep TCS turned on for safety.
When you get more experience they will tell you to turn TCS off, because you should drive by the seat of your pants without any or say, the least amount of "electronic driver aids".
After several years of tracking my car, it is always off. If I forget to turn off TCS because I'm late for a session, whatever reason, and leave it on I feel the brakes engage around corners, which scrubs speed, increases pedal fade and wears out pads. I'll only use it for new tracks for the first session, then its off the rest of the day.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:11 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all the advice. I did turn off all the aids when I went out last weekend and had no trouble at all. My new suspension helped keep the car straight a lot of the time and I only had one major overstear but was easily able to correct it.