Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

front end shake...

Old 02-18-2012, 01:48 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Nuke

Are the wheels OE? Aftermarket wheels require the removal of the wheel stud clips installed to help on the assembly line. They prevent the aftermarket wheels from sitting flush against the rotor. Their existence on your car can be hit or miss.

Good luck!
I wondered when/whom was going to ask if the rims were OEM or aftermarket.
And if the rotor clips had been removed.

My front bounce around at 45-55 MPH but thats because
of the miniscule amount of SLIME that I used to fix an
in the tread/near the sidewall nail penetration on each of them.
They were on the rear when the SLIME was introduced
but a recent tire rotation to the front has caused the steering
wheel vibration to occur. 6K more miles of vibration until
I can rotate them back to the rears.
No TPMS sensors so I could use the slime.

Last edited by 157dB; 02-18-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:20 AM
ummduh

they're OE rims.

but thanks for the heads up on aftermarket rims, they are on the eventual upgrade agenda.

btw, Yokohama YK580 tires are pretty bad *** so far. well see how they wear but i haven't been able to get them to sweat on our mountain roads out here yet. I haven't quite got my ***** out of my wife's purse yet since I haven't quite settled into the car, but I'm learning how to get this car to turn pretty good.

wanted to get the nitto motivo tires but in the OE size they couldn't get them for weeks. I got Yokohama YK580 like I said from America's tire. they are made specifically for their chain but I liked the info on them. made in the USA, 580 treadwear, and supposedly awesome wet traction, which is really my #1 issue as we generally get some gnarly rain out here.

Last edited by ummduh; 02-19-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:42 AM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

I'm fighting the same issue with the Pirelli's, They don't have many miles on them and Discount tire just re-balanced them but I think I'm going to try a road force balance and see what's up.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:37 PM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ummduh
Well, found the cause, almost certainly. 3 of my tires are like freakin oval. Belts must be separating. I couldn't see it looking from the side on the car, but on the balancer it's BAD. The machine was calling for 4+oz inside and out on 3 of them. Only 1 was good, my RF tire.

So I'm trying to decide what decently priced tires to put on it now. Not going back with these perelli's.. But also can't afford to drop $175+ per tire right now either.
Over the years, I have had issues with tire cord separation five times.
If you push hard, the manufacturer usually backs the tire warranty even if you are the second owner. They do not want anybody calling the NTSB and reporting the issue. If the NTSP gets too many calls & they investigate, they will demand that the manufacturer back a recall of all tires in that series.
That happened to Firestone in the 70's & 80's.

Tires with cord separation is a serious safety issue.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:38 PM
ummduh

Still happy with the yoko yk580's. They grip like mad wet or dry, seem to be wearing well despite my best efforts to burn them off, and are very quiet.

I've got about 2k miles on them so far. I guess I will update from time to time as they wear in, not a lot of info about these tires online.
Old 12-02-2021, 03:14 AM
Jmuneybaggs

Default Did you ever find a solution? I'm currently having this same problem on my 4.0

Originally Posted by ummduh
Just bought an 05 gt. It has new oe perellis on it. Alignment was not good so I had it aligned. Toe was .33" total, now is set at .1 per side .2 total. I think camera came in at -1.6 and -1.7, don't recall caster but it is all in spec.

Still shakes like a beast on the highway, gets much worse in turns on the highway, especially long right handers.

I've inspected everything and can't find anything loose/worn. It does have the strut mount rattle, but as I understand it that is pretty much just an anoying sound.

Car is all stock. It is high mileage, 136k. Unknown service history. Don't worry, got it CHEAP, was expecting a few issues.

Do I just start throwing parts at it or what?
​​​​​​