Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

suspension and chassis first steps????

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 10:48 AM
albino_coyote
1st Gear Member

Default suspension and chassis first steps????

Seems like a great place to start with the mustang is subframe connectors and lower rear control arms.

I was thinking about steeda subframe connectors and shelby lower control arms...what do you guys think about this approach and should I consider other products?
Old 02-12-2012, 12:13 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

If you provide us with details of how your are going to use your car, what is wrong with what it does now and any mods already made then the comments you receive will be of much greater benefit.

Depending on your responses the items you have listed may not even be recommended.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:42 PM
albino_coyote
1st Gear Member

I am interested in less body roll, more balance, and building a foundation worthy of future modifications to take additional power. Would like more bite, particularly with considering shorter gears.

Also want to lower the car, make the car handle predictably but without rattling fillings. Use will be daily drive and limited track use.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:11 PM
JimC

The subframe connectors are an almost "must have" on the SN95 and Fox bodies, but the S197 is pretty stiff as it is.

Why do you think you need the subframe connectors, and as already said how do you plan to use the car? That will determine what you should be doing and what products fit your plan and goals.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:33 PM
txminime

I agree with JimC. I'm able to jack up the whole side of my 2011 using just the rear notch. My '93 GT and '95 GT would be a whole different story...

Unless you are building a full blown track toy, I would start with shocks and go from there.

FC
Old 02-12-2012, 09:52 PM
albino_coyote
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys, my last mustang was a new edge mustang, so am still sort of from the fox/sn95 school of thought. Maybe I can just focus in on a competent suspension kit and see what's next.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:38 AM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Occasional track usage on a road course or on a dragstrip? The two suspension setups would be different. The first place I would start is wheels/tires. Go wider.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:38 PM
CAR-15
2nd Gear Member

I would start with springs, adjustable panhard bar, shocks & struts, camber plates and a good alginment. This would give you a great foundation to build on.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:30 PM
tomkay
1st Gear Member

I'm new here but have been reading everything I can on handling for S197's. All seems to point to #1: shocks/struts and CALL Sam Strano.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:00 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tomkay
I'm new here but have been reading everything I can on handling for S197's. All seems to point to #1: shocks/struts and CALL Sam Strano.
Where are you at in PA? Have you done any track days? If not are you interested?

Yep - the dampers are a biggie. So are springs and sways and tires. All depends what you want to do with the car and your tolerance for a firm ride.

Quick Reply: suspension and chassis first steps????