Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Lowering with stock shock/struts...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 11:39 AM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

Default Lowering with stock shock/struts...

I hate to ask this but I never seem to find what I'm looking for when using the search so here it goes...

I know it is best to change the shocks and struts at the same time of lowering and it would be less work to do it all at one time but I will more than likely be going somewhere to have them installed because my dad doesn't trust his mechanic abilities to do the work himself..

So I am considering the idea of doing the shocks and struts later and just getting the springs now since it would end up being the same amount of money in the long run in terms of labor costs?

I have been planning to go with the Steeda Sport springs forever now and still want them because I have heard nothing but good things about the ride quality but mainly when combined with Koni yellows or STR.T shocks/struts..

So if I just get the springs.. How bad will it hurt the ride? I have about 50,000 miles on her now so I'm hoping to still see some benefit from the slight drop?..
Old 02-22-2012, 11:43 AM
astentine
2nd Gear Member

You're fine to wait. I lowered mine with Eibach Pro-Kit at least 15K miles ago (now creeping on 50K) and I have no problems in terms of shocks and struts.

You will, however, develop a problem in your camber when the springs settle. So, I would drive a week or two, depending on how often you drive the car, then get an alignment.

You shouldn't have to worry about shocks/struts, but since you already have about 50K, it might be about time for them to go on their own accord.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:51 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

I am going to lower mine and then do shocks and struts, but I will be only have the springs in for a month or two before I get new shocks and struts. If you are paying for an install then wait and do it all at the same time, you have to do the same procedure to install both springs and dampers.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:54 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

While waiting for my Koni's to hit the door I was putting on the summer wheels/tires today and thought F it, I will throw on the back springs (FRPP P's) for kicks and giggles. The ride was tight and felt good with the stock shocks out back, so I doubt it would hurt to run with the stock struts/shocks for awhile...however, you do have 50K on those bad-boys and if it was me I would replace the springs/shocks together. It's really not that big of a task bro, do it yourself and save some money.
There are a couple of excellent video's taking you step by step through the process and other than a set of spring compressor's, no special tools are needed to do the job...now get in there, get dirty and be somebody man!!lol
Old 02-22-2012, 07:45 PM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

I have tried convincing him but I may give it another shot. It doesn't help that everyone else tells me not to lower it because I will regret it so it makes it harder to convince him to help.

I thought I should replace them about now so I was kinda worried about them. This is really noobish.. But how much is an alignment typically? Haha.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:49 PM
Whiskey11
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ZPounds07GT
I hate to ask this but I never seem to find what I'm looking for when using the search so here it goes...

I know it is best to change the shocks and struts at the same time of lowering and it would be less work to do it all at one time but I will more than likely be going somewhere to have them installed because my dad doesn't trust his mechanic abilities to do the work himself..

So I am considering the idea of doing the shocks and struts later and just getting the springs now since it would end up being the same amount of money in the long run in terms of labor costs?

I have been planning to go with the Steeda Sport springs forever now and still want them because I have heard nothing but good things about the ride quality but mainly when combined with Koni yellows or STR.T shocks/struts..

So if I just get the springs.. How bad will it hurt the ride? I have about 50,000 miles on her now so I'm hoping to still see some benefit from the slight drop?..
Seriously, changing the shocks and struts on these cars is a cake walk. Time consuming (struts) but not impossible. And to be perfectly honest, since lowering will most likely require new strut mounts anyway, you can assemble the strut/strut mount/spring assembly, and then it's a simple matter of removing 4 bolts at the top of the strut, the Sway Bar endlink bolt and the 2 spindle bolts and swapping complete assemblies for each other and reversing the process. The shocks are like a half hour job, tops. A breaker bar and a torque wrench are required though!
Old 02-22-2012, 09:54 PM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

That doesn't sound too hard. Maybe I can show him and convince him. I guess we will see how it goes. Money is still a big factor though so it will be a little while.

Looks like I will be getting the Steeda HD strut mounts too when I do the Koni STR.Ts and Steeda Sport springs.

Now, about how much is an alignment?
Old 02-23-2012, 06:43 AM
astentine
2nd Gear Member

My alignment was about 80 bucks at Firestone. Different places are going to give different rates, but I would say 60 - 100 is probably a good range for it to land in for chains and dealership prices
Old 02-23-2012, 10:33 AM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

Yeah that's what I was figuring. Things just seem to keep adding up. So I guess I'm back square one. Thanks for all the help everyone.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:27 PM
CAR-15
2nd Gear Member

Check out this link and have your dad watch it. It is easy.

http://www.motorz.tv/blog/2610/lowering-a-mustang/

Quick Reply: Lowering with stock shock/struts...