Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

? about koni adjustables

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 07:51 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Default ? about koni adjustables

My car is not lowered and I have been thinking about getting some koni adjustables for awhile now. Im looking for a better ride in my car DD and the 4 to 5 times that I go to the track. The only other mod for suspension that I have done are the LCA's. My question is there anything else that needs done to the car when I decide to have these installed. It looks as if u need different camber plates but it seems as if those are for lowered rides. So i guess if i dont need those then Im not interested in getting them. So if someone could shine some light on this for me it would be great. I searched on the net for about an hour to find some answers. Thanks guys
Old 03-01-2012, 08:10 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

The Konis should bolt right into your 2007. Use a spring compressor tool to be safe.

Use the rubber/plastic wrap around the bottom of the front stock springs and any other stock parts that aren't in the Koni box.

The problem is that the stock upper strut mounts are likely to fall apart when you remove them. They are also prone to failure on a car that is driven hard which is one reason why people switch to the Steeda HD upper mounts. These also give you the benefit of a small range of camber adjustment so that you can go more negative than the stock setup.

If your car is a 2007 you might want to think about upgrading the strut to spindle bolts from the old style coarse thread which have a 148 ft lb torque setting to the newer fine thread bolts that have a 166 ft lb torque setting.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:56 PM
GTRaider
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
The Konis should bolt right into your 2007. Use a spring compressor tool to be safe.

Use the rubber/plastic wrap around the bottom of the front stock springs and any other stock parts that aren't in the Koni box.

The problem is that the stock upper strut mounts are likely to fall apart when you remove them. They are also prone to failure on a car that is driven hard which is one reason why people switch to the Steeda HD upper mounts. These also give you the benefit of a small range of camber adjustment so that you can go more negative than the stock setup.

If your car is a 2007 you might want to think about upgrading the strut to spindle bolts from the old style coarse thread which have a 148 ft lb torque setting to the newer fine thread bolts that have a 166 ft lb torque setting.
These bolts are new on the 2012 Mustang? Any idea what the stealership charges or would they be available from a internet source like Tasca Ford in Rhode Island? I just placed my order with Sam Strano for Koni Sports and Steeda Upper Strut Mounts and these would be a no brainer to install while changing out the struts. And yes, I have the spring compressor to do the job... and more importantly the Son to do the heavy lifting.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:37 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

The bolts are reasonably priced. Here is a link with the PNs but they might have changed since then

https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...-and-nuts.html

this thread also gives some backgroung info

https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...elfection.html
Old 03-07-2012, 07:18 AM
Whiskey11
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
The bolts are reasonably priced. Here is a link with the PNs but they might have changed since then

https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...-and-nuts.html

this thread also gives some backgroung info

https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...elfection.html
Maximum Motorsports has the new bolts on their page for sale for $23 a pair (need two pair obviously):

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=309_341_424 &products_id=1360
Old 03-07-2012, 03:40 PM
GTRaider
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info Sleeper and Whiskey. I ordered the new bolts and nuts from Tasca Ford today. Should be delivered by the time I get back from vacation.

That's why I like this Forum... people who know what they're talking about and not afraid to help others!
Old 03-10-2012, 08:53 PM
radioguy1

Originally Posted by outceltj
My car is not lowered and I have been thinking about getting some koni adjustables for awhile now. Im looking for a better ride in my car DD and the 4 to 5 times that I go to the track. The only other mod for suspension that I have done are the LCA's. My question is there anything else that needs done to the car when I decide to have these installed. It looks as if u need different camber plates but it seems as if those are for lowered rides. So i guess if i dont need those then Im not interested in getting them. So if someone could shine some light on this for me it would be great. I searched on the net for about an hour to find some answers. Thanks guys
I just had KONI Yellow Sport adjustable shocks and struts installed on my 2011 Mustang V6 convertible. I used the GT500 upper strut mounts. What a great change. I have the KONIs currently set at full soft and they are still firmer then the stock parts. It really helped the cornering and the fast stop nose dive. I will be experimenting with more stiffness with the adjusters to find the best spot for my car. I kept the stock springs because I drive 99+% of my miles on the streets. I am very happy with the results of the mod!
Old 03-15-2012, 09:03 PM
lawman1
1st Gear Member

I have a brand new never used steeda upper strut mount that I will sell to you for $100 plus shipping. I am in California.