Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Eibach Pro-System-Plus Kit Info? Help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 11:47 AM
2008Vert
2nd Gear Member

I got my Eibach front and rear bars and strut brace installed and it made a huge difference in the way the car corners and handles.

My wifes car is an 08 Mistubishi Lancer GTS and it will outcorner the Mustang hands down. It isn't even funny. It's got more HP out of the stock 4 banger too.

After the Eibach install the Stang corners much better but it still won't beat the Lancer.

I am very happy with the results of the Eibach bars.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:31 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JayyVee
Sharad I had a long laundry list of stuff I had planned to get from you guys (you gave me advice on day 1 when I came here) but I had to hit another vendor for a super special deal on the pro plus over the holiday season, which I had to take advantage of. (sorry bud!) Still thank you much for your input it matched what I'd been thinking as well at the time. (Different cars make different parts but it all translates eventually..). Getting used to the excellent SRA from a good IRS and the parts involved took a few weeks of reading and comparing.

UCA's are still on my shortlist, I'm just not sure if I need them if I'm not doing dragstrip duty, and not a GT (some autocross yes - not the autox cones..). I was thinking ball joints would be a better situation for me now at this point - what do you think? (UCA's still, or upgraded ball joints for better road feel, or both?)

No problem at all man. Of course I recommend the UCA, and I've heard mixed reviews about the ball joints. (durability issue, which is a disturbing thought) If you run our adjustable upper with HD mount and the spherical bearing in the housing, it allows you to tweak the pinion angle (which is handy if you're a fiddler), it gives you more precise handling by eliminating the flex in the flimsy factory UCA mount, and it removes bind in the suspension with the use of the spherical bearing.

Originally Posted by 2008Vert
Well I got my rear Eibach sway bar and strut brace installed today (haven't gotten the front bar installed yet) and the difference is like night and day.

The car drives like a whole different car. MUCH flatter around turns, steering is very responsive. Well worth the money. I spent 400 for the Eibach bars and strut tower brace.

So far it's great and I haven't installed the front bar.

I thought I was going to go to 18 inch wheels and tires but there is absolutely no need. Just a good set of tires on my 16's and it will do all I need it to do.
Yes, the Eibach bars work really well. I was in UPR HQ this week to pick up some Eibach swaybars (along with a few other goodies in preparation for HPDEs and AXs this season) and we were temporarily out of stock on the Eibach bars. MAJOR BUMMER!!!

Originally Posted by Whiskey11
Im sure Sharad will say otherwise but I would say no unless you are running a one piece driveshaft or have some noise associated with pinion angle. I am sure it helps with feel and maybe even a little forward bite but for a DD car it is probably a bit much.

I autocross like its a religion and it will be one of the last mods I do for one major reason. Poly bushing UCA is all I can go to and I am worried about the added wear and tear on the differential rubber bushing getting wrecked since it would become the primary source of compliance. Sherical bushings are prohibited pretty much everywhere in my class except an axle lateral locating device and the swaybar endlinks. Running poly/poly is a recipe for axle bind and I would rather not deal with replacing the factory rubber bushing after a season of thrashing it every year so stock UCA for me.

IMO I would save the money and apply it elsewhere. If you decide to get more serious about autocrossing I would go for a Watts long before any control arms. Again, that is in my (not worth much) opinion.
Interesting that you bring that up about the sphericals. I'm planning to do a little autocrossing this year in the S197 and I'm not trying to fit it into any class. I am building / have built the car just how I want it, and I'll enter whatever class they tell me to, even if it's some super high zoot racecar only class. For me it's just a little fun in a parking lot, I'm not trying to make a career out of it. I won't be super depressed if I'm STD. (slowest time of the day, not herpegonsyphilaids)

Originally Posted by JJP SuperStang
The pops has a 2006 Boxster S. Tiny thing and it can turn! I have Nitto NT555 front and back on the car. 18" rims. 275/40/ZR18 size of tires front and back.
Sounds like a fun ride!
Old 06-08-2012, 01:28 AM
snicksnipa
1st Gear Member

I got an outstanding deal on just the Eibach Pro System with Eibach dampers and Sportline springs, I also installed J&M Caster Camber Plates. The handling is night and day, taking a right hand turn on a green light previously i could only rip around a corner at about 25mph before almost skidding and hitting the barrier, I've ripped around corners at 45mph, the handling is absolutely insane. Using a brand new Audi S4 as a reference, handling is great and almost comes close to the Audi. I also believe the 2" drop was perfect, initially the ride was so rough my back would kill be but after about 20 miles the ride has softened up and is perfect, stiff yet can feel every bump in the road appropriately. The question is, how much of a difference would Eibach front and rear sway bars make on an 09 v6 (I don't even have a rear sway bar) ? The handling is already so good I can't imagine much more? another cheaper options for sway bars?
Old 06-09-2012, 10:25 AM
2008Vert
2nd Gear Member

Mine is an 08 V6 convertible and I added the Eibach front and rear bars.

The difference is amazing. The Eibach kit comes with all the hardware (nuts and bolts) to install on the rear. I saw that some of the New Take-off GT kits you had to buy some bolts because you are supposed to reuse the ones that came off and, of course we don't have any to reuse because we didn't have them to begin with.

I love the handling of the car now and I plan on single adjustable coilovers later on. I also have the factory 16 inch wheels and plan on going with 18x9's but that will have to wait until I have the cash.

I got my Eibach bars from Late Model Restoration for 339 and also got a single strut tower brace for 59.

I can't say enough about the difference. It will ride stiffer and with what you already have I don't know much that would contribute to the harshness of the ride.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:59 PM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

I'm confused, obviously changing out the springs and swaybars is of great benefit, but the 5.0's largest criticism from Randy Pobst on his direct comparison against the M5, was that the 5.0 Mustangs biggest set back was it's dampers.

Why would one not consider the far better adjustable Koni sport adjustable dampers, or at least the cheaper Tokico d-specs adjustable dampers, when the dampers were and are the weakest link in road course driving for the 5.0. It's hard to believe the Eibach kit wouldn't upgrade the dampers, being of at least an equal improvement as the springs and swaybars for hard turn control and stability. Erik
Old 06-09-2012, 06:36 PM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

JJP, to be honest with you, based on my experience on these forums, from having these basic changes and later many more done to my car, I'd offer you this advice, based on some issues being over hyped from certain people on these forums.

By far, the three most profound changes to my car were,

1. the addition of my Saleen Supercharger to my 06' premium package GT( originally with it, 4psi produced 435HP at the crank) you have the 5.0 and can easily tune it to 460HP.

2. The addition at the same time as the SC was the Saleen springs, shocks/struts and front and rear sway bars, all balanced for max handling at a reasonable comfort level.

3. Later, after many other items, The Techco Watts Link, this items improvement on planting the back end of the car over bumps and dips, and with bumps and dips in hard turns, and accelerating out of turns, was immediately noticeable.

Beyond this after having my supercharger and new Saleen basic suspension, putting better summer tires on my 18's at 255/45/18 improved grip a good deal too, but not as profound of improvements as the above 3 items.

Changing to better LCR's didn't improve my launches by any real degree on the street, the UCA as well just made noise and there was no tangible improvement really, same with adding the adjustable pan hard bar and brace, or the STB, or shock tower brace, or the front LCR re-location kit, or the ball joints, or the bumpsteer, blah blah blah......

Those items make tiny differences if you were to calculate multiple laps, but for the enjoyment of the car on the street and on the canyon roads, lots of money for minimal improvement. Same with the brakes, unless you are lapping or seriously canyon carving, the stock brakes are excellent, and the other kits just look better.

Bottom line from my direct experience, springs, shocks, swaybars, and the watts link were the best money spent on real tangible driving improvements.

The rest is like being an audiophile, who spends thousands of dollars on better and better audio equipment with very minimal improvement with each addition past the basic better quality amp, receiver and speakers.

My car with the basic Suspension, supercharger, and better summer tires launched exactly the same way with the hyped after market LCA's and UCA as with the stock on the street or on empty LA canyon roads. Lots of hype out there IMO. Erik

Last edited by eolson; 06-09-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:49 PM
2008Vert
2nd Gear Member

I felt like the STB(Strut Tower Brace) did help with the cowl shake present on the convertible. I drove the car without it and with it and I can see a difference. I don't know how much it helps a car with a roof, but it at least seemed to make a difference on the vert.

I certainly don't plan to do any autocrossing or anything like that with my car. But I do enjoy a "spirited" drive with some friends across a nice twisty mountain road.

The reason I want to go with coilovers is because I feel that it is going to need shocks and struts eventually and I would like to be able to bring at least the rear end down to alleviate some of that 4x4 look. The tires and wheels are partly because it needs new tires (50K on the stock BFG's) and mostly because I want some wheels that don't look like they belong on a Windstar mini-van.

But it is of course what you want to do with your car that determines where your upgrades should be.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:25 AM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

There are many standard Linear Rate springs that will bring your car down 1", 1.25" or 1.5" with matching dampers and sway bars generally balanced for your car.

I do believe the STB is of benefit, but on 05 and later coupe or hard top, the STB and shock tower brace, and even the G-trac bar for lower strut support are of benefit, but not as immediately essential as springs, dampers and sway bars.

My point is that the most clear and noticeable differences in my direct experience were the springs, dampers, sway bars, and watts link. Clearly an STB, shock tower brace, g-trac bar and the Pedders front chassis brace are all pieces that add better stability and rigidity, they by themselves are not as noticeable, but together add up to a good and felt improvement for sure.

I was just commenting on peoples first priorities, and how mis led they are into buying 2nd and 3rd priority items right away, that's all. Erik

Last edited by eolson; 06-10-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:03 PM
snicksnipa
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by eolson
There are many standard Linear Rate springs that will bring your car down 1", 1.25" or 1.5" with matching dampers and sway bars generally balanced for your car.

I do believe the STB is of benefit, but on 05 and later coupe or hard top, the STB and shock tower brace, and even the G-trac bar for lower strut support are of benefit, but not as immediately essential as springs, dampers and sway bars.

My point is that the most clear and noticeable differences in my direct experience were the springs, dampers, sway bars, and watts link. Clearly an STB, shock tower brace, g-trac bar and the Pedders front chassis brace are all pieces that add better stability and rigidity, they by themselves are not as noticeable, but together add up to a good and felt improvement for sure.

I was just commenting on peoples first priorities, and how mis led they are into buying 2nd and 3rd priority items right away, that's all. Erik
I agree with you, springs and damper should come first. The Eibach dampers combined with eibach sportline progressive rate springs feel like the perfect combo. I have read multiple articles that on the stiff coupe mustang there is no need for a strut tower brace, and it is mostly appearance with minimal performance gains.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:19 PM
2008Vert
2nd Gear Member

Yep, I agree with everything you said. I hope it didn't appear in my previous post that I was being difficult or anything like that.

I should have gone with dampers first, but was kinda in shock that my car didn't even have a rear sway bar. Why the heck would they not put a rear sway bar on it??

i have only had my vert a few months and it is my first Ford and first Mustang.

I have read several places that the STB is not really helpful on the S197's and I can certainly see it being a hardly noticeable difference. Just my experience but it did seem to help the vert.

I didn't realize the availability of aftermarket (and Ford available) upgrades and go-fast items for the Mustang. And it would absolutely be easy to just start buying stuff and sinking a WHOLE lot of money into things that will not be needed or even noticed.

Although I have to admit that I didn't really NEEED sway bars did I, or a Mustang Convertible for that matter LOL

Dave

Quick Reply: Eibach Pro-System-Plus Kit Info? Help?