Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Camber bolt install help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 03:45 AM
OSUTX440
3rd Gear Member

Default Camber bolt install help.

I put on steeda ultalites on my 2011 and I am putting in camber bolts to correct the camber issue(obviously). Lol. But I can't seem to find a good write up or video (I have seen the YouTube 2006 gt video). Does anyone have a good write up or play by play/advice on putting these in?

Thanks
Old 07-23-2012, 01:35 PM
OSUTX440
3rd Gear Member

No one runs camber bolts?
Old 07-23-2012, 08:29 PM
drew2000

I don't and wouldn't. The Ford strut to spindle bolts get torqued to 166 ft/lbs (Ford upped the torque and made the bolts even stronger for more clamping force). There's no way a camber bolt can handle these numbers. Spend a few bucks and get adjustable upper strut mounts, it's the safe and proper way.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:44 PM
stephen1371
2nd Gear Member

I run them, paid a shop 25 bucks to install them when they did my alignment, and I'm sure they can handle the numbers your talk about and what do you mean couple more dolalrs. Lets see here 25 bucks camber bolt vs. 150ish fo ra cheapest set of plates, not seeing a couple more dollars.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:56 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

This showed me how to install and adjust the camber bolts. I had to help the guy at the alignment shop adjust the bolts. I do race my car on the camber bolts but I plan on upgrading to the vorslag adjustable camber mounts next season. I'm no expert but for daily driving I don't see a huge problem with using camber bolts. They are a lot cheaper than adjustable mounts.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:08 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stephen1371
I run them, paid a shop 25 bucks to install them when they did my alignment, and I'm sure they can handle the numbers your talk about and what do you mean couple more dolalrs. Lets see here 25 bucks camber bolt vs. 150ish fo ra cheapest set of plates, not seeing a couple more dollars.
$125 is dirt cheap compared to at least one of the alternative scenarios.

That you're "sure they can handle the numbers" suggests that you have some familiarity with either structural or mechanical engineering topics. Care to share, or at least give a sound reason why I should not be very skeptical about bolts that cannot be torqued to much over half of Ford's own specs for the early strut fasteners? Keep in mind that over the years I've experienced a couple of suspension component failures in cars that were only daily-drivers.

Yes, they'll probably be OK for mild to moderate driving - that's all they were originally intended to do as a crash-repair means of getting strut alignment somewhere near right afterward. Trouble is, neither you nor I nor anybody else can guarantee that some other random person will stick to those same limitations. Actually, I wouldn't even trust the bolts for the impact of landing off of wheelstands.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-24-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:50 PM
stephen1371
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
$125 is dirt cheap compared to at least one of the alternative scenarios.

That you're "sure they can handle the numbers" suggests that you have some familiarity with either structural or mechanical engineering topics. Care to share, or at least give a sound reason why I should not be very skeptical about bolts that cannot be torqued to much over half of Ford's own specs for the early strut fasteners? Keep in mind that over the years I've experienced a couple of suspension component failures in cars that were only daily-drivers.

Yes, they'll probably be OK for mild to moderate driving - that's all they were originally intended to do as a crash-repair means of getting strut alignment somewhere near right afterward. Trouble is, neither you nor I nor anybody else can guarantee that some other random person will stick to those same limitations. Actually, I wouldn't even trust the bolts for the impact of landing off of wheelstands.

Norm
Fair enough, I was basing it off the fact every major suspension company sales them and recomends them for daily drivers, not road racers, When mine were installed it was so close i really didnt need them, I have a set of J&M plates but i dont feel like installing them right now
Old 07-24-2012, 09:42 PM
JAJ
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by drew2000
I don't and wouldn't. The Ford strut to spindle bolts get torqued to 166 ft/lbs (Ford upped the torque and made the bolts even stronger for more clamping force). There's no way a camber bolt can handle these numbers. Spend a few bucks and get adjustable upper strut mounts, it's the safe and proper way.
H&R camber bolts work fine at those numbers. Eibach, not so much.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:26 AM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

The thing about torque spec is that most alignment shops don't torque to spec. They use the impact gun and just zap it a couple of times until it's tight. It's not the right way but it's what happens. I saw the guy at the shop do that to mine and I asked him about it and he told me that he can't reach it without taking off the wheel which they don't do. This was all done at a firestone too.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:08 AM
UberDuper
1st Gear Member

Do you even need them with a 1.25" drop? A 1" drop put me at -1.3.

Quick Reply: Camber bolt install help.