Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Swarr bar?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 12:16 PM
6bangr
1st Gear Member

Default Swarr bar?

Anyone have any experience with a swarr bar?

I installed a whipple H.O. kit a couple months ago everything else is bone stock, including the suspension. The car is predominantly a daily driver but it's seen the strip a few times too. So I'm kinda after a well rounded setup, not a fully dedicated drag or AX setup. I have no intention of lowering the car but I would like to address a couple issues. I'm looking at two upgrades:
LCA's to eliminate a bit of the wheel hop and to help get my new found power to the ground.
Sway Bars to reduce body roll for flater cornering at higher speed.

If I had to choose between the two I would probably go for the LCA's.

But I was looking a Swarr bar at AM that's mainly designed to stiffen up the rear end for better launches and traction, but people are claiming it helps with cornering too. So I'm assuming the swarr bar would act more like LCA than a sway bar? Based on my suspension goals would the swarr bar represent the middle ground? Or should I just get new LCA's and sway bars instead?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/swarr-...rear-2005.html
Old 07-24-2012, 02:20 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 6bangr
Anyone have any experience with a swarr bar?

I installed a whipple H.O. kit a couple months ago everything else is bone stock, including the suspension. The car is predominantly a daily driver but it's seen the strip a few times too. So I'm kinda after a well rounded setup, not a fully dedicated drag or AX setup. I have no intention of lowering the car but I would like to address a couple issues. I'm looking at two upgrades:
LCA's to eliminate a bit of the wheel hop and to help get my new found power to the ground.
Sway Bars to reduce body roll for flater cornering at higher speed.

If I had to choose between the two I would probably go for the LCA's.

But I was looking a Swarr bar at AM that's mainly designed to stiffen up the rear end for better launches and traction, but people are claiming it helps with cornering too. So I'm assuming the swarr bar would act more like LCA than a sway bar? Based on my suspension goals would the swarr bar represent the middle ground? Or should I just get new LCA's and sway bars instead?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/swarr-...rear-2005.html

6bangr,

You definitely have your mind set in a good department! Suspension components are some of the most important modifications you can go do.

The Swarr Bar is designed to support and strengthen your Mustang's 8.8" straight rear for faster, straighter launches and less wheel hop off the line. Hook up faster and lower your 60 foot times all with a very simple bolt on mod!

If your stang is pushing lots of horsepower and torque, your rear end needs support to keep from damaging the drivetrain components. A Swarr Bar will help reinforce it to ensure your 'Stang's tire-smoking power is being transferred to the ground, where it belongs.

I definitely think a Swarr bar is important however so are LCA's & A Sway Bar. If you are only going to to do one for now this may be a good choice, mainly because it helps your cars in every department! (Traction,Wheel hop, Stability ect..)

I hope this helps, if you have any further questions feel free to hit me up! Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

- Dan
Old 07-24-2012, 08:42 PM
JimC

Dan - on your site it says simply that the Swarr bar fits Mustangs from 2005-2013. Does it fit the convertible as well? We have extra bracing in the back so I'm wondering if this will interfere with mounting the Swarr bar?
Old 07-25-2012, 09:48 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 6bangr
But I was looking a Swarr bar at AM that's mainly designed to stiffen up the rear end for better launches and traction, but people are claiming it helps with cornering too.
Like Dan said, it's mainly a strength/durability/stiffness mod for the axle itself. The more power and tire grip you have and the harder you launch, the better this one gets.

I don't see it affecting cornering either way, IOW I'd expect cornering to not be measurably better but no worse either. The claims you've heard may be confusing a little extra axle stiffness felt, with improved cornering. Or it might be a secondary effect in that it provided a little more confidence (and as a result of that, folks are being able to corner just a little harder at the same comfort level).

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-25-2012 at 09:50 AM.