Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Rear Spring Isolator and other questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 10:12 AM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default Rear Spring Isolator and other questions...

I'm looking at swapping in a takeoff 8.8 rear. I already purchased the rear w/4.10 gears some time ago. The plan is to re-use as little as possible of the stock components. I have a set of Vogtland springs & Koni Yellows I'm going to swap in at the same time as the rear. My question is has anyone purchased new rear lower spring isolators? I found a few different part numbers, but the ones I've found so far don't look like they will fit so I won't bother to post links. Has anyone ordered these before,or can you point me in the right direction? Also, if there is anything else needed for a typical take off rear let me know. Mine was obtained from blue oval or NTO...I can't remember as I bought it over a year ago. I believe I need to add 1 qt of additive & 4 qts of diff fluid. I also plan on replacing the diff cover. Any recommendations for that would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-24-2012, 05:20 PM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Anyone?
Old 08-24-2012, 09:15 PM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

I replaced my lower spring isolators with Energy Suspension Polyurethane isolators. Their model 9.6106 fit like a glove. They are sold in pairs and are inexpensive.

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...sp?prod=9.6106

Old 08-24-2012, 09:25 PM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Topless Stang
I also plan on replacing the diff cover. Any recommendations for that would be appreciated. Thanks!
Ford Racing offers a good one PN M-4033-G2.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=9291

They also offer the 2011 GT500 cover.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=12489

Old 08-24-2012, 10:14 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

I used the Energy suspension isolators same as 6-Speed above when I installed my 8.8". Worked great.

The oil capacity is around two quarts if I recall correctly, and you're going to be very unhappy and very broke if you dump a quart of friction modifier in there. It only requires a few oz of the friction modifier (it's sold in 4oz bottles).

My axle assembly came with the new GT500 cover. Like it a lot.

Last edited by Torch_Vert; 08-24-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:27 PM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

If you choose the Ford Racing M-4033-G2 cover, you'll need 3 quarts of gear oil. Always gauge the amount of oil in the pumpkin using the front fill hole in the housing and not the one on the cover.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:13 AM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info guys. The takeoff 8.8 I have doesn't have the vent or cover thats under the isolator in your pic 6-Speed. I think I had originally found suitable isolators, but I thought they would cover the hole, not leave it exposed. Does that piece serve a purpose, or is it ok if I leave it off? I planned on double checking how much fluid to use...if I hadn't I wouldn't have been a very happy camper. It looks like I'll probably be going with the finned diff cover. Thanks for putting that n here too as its the first time looked at that as an option...

Last edited by Topless Stang; 08-25-2012 at 04:28 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:23 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

That finned bit in the center of the isolator is just a plastic cap that covers a hole in the spring seat. When I pulled my 7.5" axle, I found my car was apparently missing one from the factory. That cap doesn't appear to serve any major purpose.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:24 AM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

Figure on a 4oz bottle of friction modifier and 3 quarts of gear oil. It may not take all of the 3rd qt. Put the modifier in first before the gear oil.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:48 AM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

I have no clue what that cap does on the isolator seat, but it looks like the metal pedestal will keep the spring centered in place. The OEM isolators have the same hole in the center. The axle should have a vent of some type installed.

Quick Reply: Rear Spring Isolator and other questions...