Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

H&R Race Springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 10:14 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Default H&R Race Springs

I've had a set of H&R race springs sitting in my garage for a few months. I was going to save up for the whole ordeal (shocks and struts, caster/camber plates, panhard, etc) and put it all on at once, but my impatience got the best of me. Spent a couple hours replacing the springs yesterday and took it for a drive today, and WOW, what a difference. First off, the installation was a breeze. I have little experience with this sort of thing except helping my buddy rebuild his Subaru's suspension, but it was really easy with just a set of socket wrenches, an adjustable wrench, a hydraulic jack, and some jack stands. It was a piece of cake compared to the Subie. The car stays much more level through the turns, doesn't dive when braking, and doesn't hardly squat on acceleration. If you're on the fence about any sort of suspension upgrades, just do it. Learn while you go like me. My good friend said "make it stop, make it turn, THEN make it go fast, a ton of horsepower is great until your brakes give out and you go off the road" and that's been his mantra for order of upgrades, and it's definitely been a big help to me. I plan on installing shock/struts etc, just wanted to get a feel for the springs. These things are great! I bought them from American Muscle (who are also spot on) and were a great place to do business (the military discount helps). In all, lowered 1.5" (looks FANTASTIC) and improved overall feel (even if in my mind). Can't wait to do more business with AM and really set my baby up for success!

For reference, I have a Pypes catback, JLT CAI, 91R tune, a touchscreen radio, sequential tails (all installed myself).

Some poor iPod photos:
Name:  003.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  225.6 KB

Name:  006.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  238.1 KB

This site and its search button are the best resource ever.

Edit: Also, take care when removing the springs, I did it the wrong way the first time around and took a fully loaded stock spring to the face. Don't ask. Live and learn, the second spring was much easier.

Last edited by CMcNam; 09-03-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:04 AM
SteedaBrandon
Former Sponsor

Car looks sweet! (love Alloy Grey, wish I would've waited a few more months and gone with AG instead of Vista Blue)

How'd the rear-end do? Does it look like you'll need an adjustable panhard bar to correct it?

If you're in the market, check our's out: http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-a...d-mustang.html

Let me know if I can help you with anything.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:44 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SteedaBrandon
Car looks sweet! (love Alloy Grey, wish I would've waited a few more months and gone with AG instead of Vista Blue)

How'd the rear-end do? Does it look like you'll need an adjustable panhard bar to correct it?

If you're in the market, check our's out: http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-a...d-mustang.html

Let me know if I can help you with anything.
I'll definitely be shopping around and comparing, thanks for the input! It's off by a little less than half an inch towards the driver's side, so I'll definitely invest in one.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:11 PM
claudermilk
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CMcNam
Edit: Also, take care when removing the springs, I did it the wrong way the first time around and took a fully loaded stock spring to the face. Don't ask. Live and learn, the second spring was much easier.
I am guessing you are ok. As you found, springs can be dangerous to swap & you want to make sure the spring compressor is good (my BiL and I have killed a Harbor Freight set), and they are seated well. Even taking your time, you want to be cautious--I had one shift on me yesterday. That got our attention quick (425#/in springs).
Old 09-04-2012, 12:15 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by CMcNam
I've had a set of H&R race springs sitting in my garage for a few months. I was going to save up for the whole ordeal (shocks and struts, caster/camber plates, panhard, etc) and put it all on at once, but my impatience got the best of me. Spent a couple hours replacing the springs yesterday and took it for a drive today, and WOW, what a difference. First off, the installation was a breeze. I have little experience with this sort of thing except helping my buddy rebuild his Subaru's suspension, but it was really easy with just a set of socket wrenches, an adjustable wrench, a hydraulic jack, and some jack stands. It was a piece of cake compared to the Subie. The car stays much more level through the turns, doesn't dive when braking, and doesn't hardly squat on acceleration. If you're on the fence about any sort of suspension upgrades, just do it. Learn while you go like me. My good friend said "make it stop, make it turn, THEN make it go fast, a ton of horsepower is great until your brakes give out and you go off the road" and that's been his mantra for order of upgrades, and it's definitely been a big help to me. I plan on installing shock/struts etc, just wanted to get a feel for the springs. These things are great! I bought them from American Muscle (who are also spot on) and were a great place to do business (the military discount helps). In all, lowered 1.5" (looks FANTASTIC) and improved overall feel (even if in my mind). Can't wait to do more business with AM and really set my baby up for success!

For reference, I have a Pypes catback, JLT CAI, 91R tune, a touchscreen radio, sequential tails (all installed myself).

CMcNam,

Great choice the H&R race springs are sick. 1.5' all the way around is the perfect drop and with the race designed spring the drive ability is awesome! This install is simple, just time consuming. I'm glad to see you got everything installed quick and easily. Your car looks great, let me know if you ever have any questions!

We appreciate your business and loyalty. Thank you for your service and bravery!

- Dan
Old 09-04-2012, 01:55 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Where did you look for torque specs? Also I have been watching several youtube install videos and they kind of gloss over which size wrenches, sockets, etc. I have limited tools and would like to acquire them ahead of time instead of running to the store when the car is on jackstands.

Thanks
Old 09-04-2012, 02:16 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by claudermilk
I am guessing you are ok. As you found, springs can be dangerous to swap & you want to make sure the spring compressor is good (my BiL and I have killed a Harbor Freight set), and they are seated well. Even taking your time, you want to be cautious--I had one shift on me yesterday. That got our attention quick (425#/in springs).
Haha yeah I'm fine, I'm pretty thick
Old 09-04-2012, 02:18 PM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

The drop is great!! Just dropped mine a few weeks ago and I still take a glance back every time I leave the car. Congrats!
Old 09-04-2012, 02:19 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by UrS4
Where did you look for torque specs? Also I have been watching several youtube install videos and they kind of gloss over which size wrenches, sockets, etc. I have limited tools and would like to acquire them ahead of time instead of running to the store when the car is on jackstands.

Thanks
I have an online Chilton manual. I don't recall the sizes off the top of my head, but I only used the sockets from a basic 1/2" metric socket wrench set. I also had an adjustable wrench, and you'll need a torque wrench. The Chilton manual is easy to use and has all that info in it.

And I just remembered how to multi-quote...
Old 09-04-2012, 02:24 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by a_lopez1975
The drop is great!! Just dropped mine a few weeks ago and I still take a glance back every time I leave the car. Congrats!
It definitely has that "look" now, where it goes from just an every day fun car to an aggressive street machine. I hadn't been driving it for ten minutes when a guy in a truck next to me yelled "break the tires loose!"

Quick Reply: H&R Race Springs