Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Suspension Solution for 2008 V6 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 05:30 PM
outlook.aj

Question Suspension Solution for 2008 V6 Mustang

So I have a bit of an issue, I want to install an aftermarket suspension system on my 2008 V6 Mustang but where I live kind of has crappy roads. So i have been looking for a new system that gives me performance gains in terms of handling but also does not lower the car due to the crap roads. The only kits i can find also lower the car. Do you have any suggestions on a good system that will improve the handling without lowering the height of the car?

Thanks.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:23 PM
silverstang23
2nd Gear Member

Coilovers
Old 09-20-2012, 09:35 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Low budget or high?
Old 09-20-2012, 10:46 PM
The01Cav
2nd Gear Member

Look into the H&R OE Sport Springs #51655-55
Old 09-21-2012, 03:03 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by outlook.aj
So I have a bit of an issue, I want to install an aftermarket suspension system on my 2008 V6 Mustang but where I live kind of has crappy roads. So i have been looking for a new system that gives me performance gains in terms of handling but also does not lower the car due to the crap roads. The only kits i can find also lower the car. Do you have any suggestions on a good system that will improve the handling without lowering the height of the car?

Thanks.
One thing you can do to improve handling without lowering is to upgrade your rear control arms, panhard bar, and the bushings in your front control arms. You can also add/upgrade swaybars.

We carry these parts at www.uprproducts.com. I'd encourage you to browse around our site sometime.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:42 PM
outlook.aj

Originally Posted by baddog671
Low budget or high?
I have a relatively low budget the time being but i know that with most things, you get what you pay for. So I guess I am trying to figure out the best solution for the money I am paying.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:36 AM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

I also live where the roads don't seem to like lowered vehicles. I thought about lowering mine, but then I found an article on a guy who did a swap out to a Shelby undercarriage that he was very happy with. I didn't find that so I bought a complete set of struts, shocks, rotors and caliper bars, springs, sway bars, from a super low mileage Bullitt and set mine up that way. (Ford says that the Bullitt springs are 3/4 and 1/2 inch lower than the stock GT, and I did notice a slight lowering. The Shelby's are too low for my speed bumps).

I also found a set of Shelby LCA's (silver), and adj upper rear axle mount, and a couple other items. Grand total for everything is less than 400. It changed my mild Mustang into a cornering monster. Corners I had trouble with at 50 became almost 80 with the changes. I did go to the 18" Bullitt wheels with BFG tires, and liked it over the 17" Pirelli's I had on the car. (I put my 17" GT rims on my Explorer and that made that rig much better to drive also. 8" wide vs 6.5 factory). I also tried the strut brace, and went away from it. The car handles much better with the set up from the Bullitt. I did change back to the V6 front sway bar (smaller) and it changed the cornering for the better. It let the car roll evenly where the Bullitt front bar wanted to plant the nose and the rear would get loose.

Hope that gives you some additional ideas for the cheap at heart. Good luck.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:21 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Why bother with springs at all? You don't want to lower it, and higher rate springs aren't happy on rough roads. I'd recommend a good set of struts and shocks (Koni STR.T would be great here) and a set of sway bars to go with.

The shocks/struts will make the car a lot more stable and planted, it will roll and pitch much less abruptly and take a set in corners much better. Also less jumpy over bumps. The bars add wheel rate when cornering, so the car would be much more flat and quicker to respond. Also depending on the model V-6 you have you might not even have a rear bar, and if you do have a Pony package car it's an 18mm, which is 2mm smaller than a GT's which isn't nearly enough to keep the car from understeering with the stock front bar.

So here's what I'd do: http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=64&ModelID=5 and http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=80&ModelID=5

Between the bars, and the adjustments on the bars, and the hugely better rebound damping in the Koni's you won't think you are in the same car. AND it'll ride well too. Better than it does now I can pretty much assure you.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:42 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Why bother with springs at all? You don't want to lower it, and higher rate springs aren't happy on rough roads. I'd recommend a good set of struts and shocks (Koni STR.T would be great here) and a set of sway bars to go with.

The shocks/struts will make the car a lot more stable and planted, it will roll and pitch much less abruptly and take a set in corners much better. Also less jumpy over bumps. The bars add wheel rate when cornering, so the car would be much more flat and quicker to respond. Also depending on the model V-6 you have you might not even have a rear bar, and if you do have a Pony package car it's an 18mm, which is 2mm smaller than a GT's which isn't nearly enough to keep the car from understeering with the stock front bar.

So here's what I'd do: http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=64&ModelID=5 and http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=80&ModelID=5

Between the bars, and the adjustments on the bars, and the hugely better rebound damping in the Koni's you won't think you are in the same car. AND it'll ride well too. Better than it does now I can pretty much assure you.

Listen to this man.. him along with a couple others (Jazzer and Norm) know more about suspension combined than this entire forum probably..
Old 09-27-2012, 08:13 PM
09blkgtcal
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
One thing you can do to improve handling without lowering is to upgrade your rear control arms, panhard bar, and the bushings in your front control arms. You can also add/upgrade swaybars.

We carry these parts at www.uprproducts.com. I'd encourage you to browse around our site sometime.

He forgot to add dont listen to this

Quick Reply: Suspension Solution for 2008 V6 Mustang