Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

non lowering upgraded suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 02:58 PM
SteedaBrandon
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ticopowell
Hey all,
Still new here, question for anyone that feels like answering, Are there suspension packages that will improve the handling of my 2013 mustang without lowering it. I use the car as our daily driver and there are lots of bumps/gutters around here that I don't want to scrape on so I don't want anything that lowers the car. Is that an option that exists?
Thanks for the responses!
Yes, definitely. Do you track the car?

Our front & rear swaybars along with Tokico D-Spec adjustable dampers and upper and lower control arms will greatly improve your handling without lowering the vehicle.

Let me know if I can setup a package deal for you.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:34 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Stock height here. LCAs front and back with Strange shocks. The shocks are the item you really feel the difference. Mine are 10 way adjustable. 2-3 clicks from full firm feels like the car is on rail....WOW its crazy firm. For daily driving I run it in the middle (5 ish), feels way better than stock shocks.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:27 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

I don't currently track the car, nothing is nearby :/, but I am planning on taking it to the drag strip in san antonio at some point, and once I leave Del Rio I will probably be closer to somewhere that has some sort of track where I can take it.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:33 PM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

I don't see any disadvantage to lowering your car 1". I will make a huge difference with the right springs, shocks and sway bars. Erik
Old 10-14-2012, 10:45 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I think at 1" I'd still plan on doing a little geometry correction.

Norm
Old 10-16-2012, 01:10 PM
SteedaBrandon
Former Sponsor

I don't currently track the car, nothing is nearby :/, but I am planning on taking it to the drag strip in san antonio at some point, and once I leave Del Rio I will probably be closer to somewhere that has some sort of track where I can take it.
If you don't want to lower it, take a look at our front & rear swaybars as well as Tokico D-Spec adjustable dampers.

These would provide a great increase in handling and will help you avoid lowering the vehicle.

If you change your mind, you can always adds our Sport springs to this setup and it will only provide an approximate 1" (F) & 1.25" (R) drop, which is very suitable for the majority of streets.

Let me know if I can setup a package deal for you.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Instead of just giving ideas, I'm going to try and explain a little.

Yes, we can make the car drive much better, even on stock springs. And frankly stock springs and good dampers will make it ride better too.

I forsee dampers (we'd have to talk about what type, adjustable, non-adjustable, warranty, etc.) and possibly a set of sway bars. In short exactly the dampers and bars Norm Peterson has. We might opt for Koni STR.T over Sports (again we can discuss that), and you don't *NEED* to change strut mounts.

Ok, so having said that:

Dampers are what give you stability. They control how fast things happen. The car will roll slower, pitch slower, and feel more planted. Good ones also deal with sharp, short impacts (think RR tracks, frost heaves, etc). better than stock dampers, and way better than worn out stock dampers. German cars have great dampers, that's why they feel so secure.

Sway bars are torsion springs. They work when the car rolls only. So they don't have the ride quality hit that lowering springs do. But they cut body roll quite a lot. Bars like the ones I build are also adjustable, so you can turn the balance of the car as well. 3 adjustments front, 3 rear. Gives a number of balance options (and like having 6 different bars, plus the combinations that stem from that).

Sooooooo, this comes back to how I work. Recommending parts is easy if you just want to recommend parts. Recommending the *right* parts is not easy, and has to involve knowing what you don't like about how the car drives.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:52 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Hey all,
Still new here, question for anyone that feels like answering, Are there suspension packages that will improve the handling of my 2013 mustang without lowering it. I use the car as our daily driver and there are lots of bumps/gutters around here that I don't want to scrape on so I don't want anything that lowers the car. Is that an option that exists?
Thanks for the responses!
You can upgrade your shocks, struts, and swaybars to dramatically improve your handling without lowering the car. Pretty much the same as what Norm said.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:33 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

It will be a while before I do anything, but when I do get a suspension upgrade done I want to reduce roll(sway bars if I understand correctly), reduce nose dive while breaking(dampers?), and I am guessing new tires will help keep the back end from sliding as much around corners(and keeping my foot out of it), but will anything else help with that suspension wise? Thanks for all the help! especially Sam Strano. oh, and are dampers and shocks the same thing? sorry for all the questions!
Old 10-19-2012, 10:27 AM
SteedaBrandon
Former Sponsor

It will be a while before I do anything, but when I do get a suspension upgrade done I want to reduce roll(sway bars if I understand correctly), reduce nose dive while breaking(dampers?), and I am guessing new tires will help keep the back end from sliding as much around corners(and keeping my foot out of it), but will anything else help with that suspension wise? Thanks for all the help! especially Sam Strano. oh, and are dampers and shocks the same thing? sorry for all the questions!
Yes, a damper is a shock absorber.

It's a generic term instead of specifically using strut or shock.

Quick Reply: non lowering upgraded suspension?