Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Torque Steer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 10:55 AM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!
Default Torque Steer?

09 GT, FRPP K springs, Koni STR.T's up front, stock shocks in rear, BMR Panhard with poly ends, Freedom Racing tool and Die Upper and lower rear control arms with poly bushings, stock sways, Moog ball joints done a couple months ago.

Dyno'd at 485 but I have since changed the pulley out for a larger so I'd guess that it is at about 460hp and 400+/- ft lbs.

Yesterday I went and had some 255/45-18 nitto 555's put on the rear that I got from a friend. I wanted to see if they would help me keep traction better than the 235/50-18 Pirelli P-zeros that I had on there.

I noticed after leaving Discount tire that when I really get on it the rear end feels like it is trying to go left while the front end is going right. This is with the steering wheel being held straight.

I had noticed it slightly before but now that it hooks higher up in the rpm range in 1st gear I can really notice it.

I didn't think the S197 chassis was prone to torque flexing or anything so I'm at a loss. I double checked the rear suspension components last night and everything is still tight.

any suggestions on what else to look at would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 10-16-2012, 11:33 AM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

I've never heard of torque steer in a RWD, ha...

You weren't spinning right? I had the same problem before.. And while Jazzer didn't agree with me.. SF connectors helped, a lot, to keep the car straight..
Old 10-16-2012, 11:55 AM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRexGAWD
I've never heard of torque steer in a RWD, ha...

You weren't spinning right? I had the same problem before.. And while Jazzer didn't agree with me.. SF connectors helped, a lot, to keep the car straight..
I wasn't sure what the heck to call it so torque steer was the only thing I could think of to compare it to.

No, it is hooking at the times when I feel this. I'm not a total dumbass. LOL.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:03 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jeffk
I wasn't sure what the heck to call it so torque steer was the only thing I could think of to compare it to.

No, it is hooking at the times when I feel this. I'm not a total dumbass. LOL.
Not sure if mad or just joking around -_-... Really I don't think there's much more you can do to your rear suspension.. You already have a lot done back there don't you? sways, arms, etc...
Old 10-16-2012, 12:07 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Not sure if mad or just joking around -_-... Really I don't think there's much more you can do to your rear suspension.. You already have a lot done back there don't you? sways, arms, etc...
sorry, I was joking.

I just wasn't sure if there was something else I should be looking at to stop this wiggling rearend feeling.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:11 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

sorry, I was joking.

I just wasn't sure if there was something else I should be looking at to stop this wiggling rearend feeling.
Lol, good to know you were joking.. My next choice would be SF connectors. Some people will probably chime in with different options but I've found these cars flex at high power levels. Even my Cobra flexed really hard before I put SFs on..
Old 10-16-2012, 12:28 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Lol, good to know you were joking.. My next choice would be SF connectors. Some people will probably chime in with different options but I've found these cars flex at high power levels. Even my Cobra flexed really hard before I put SFs on..
yeah, you can't take half of what I say seriously. I figured you might have picked up on that from the Carolina section.

I emailed the Control Arm manufacturer and he said that the only thing he could come up with would be worn poly. I dropped the rear end of both of the LCA's last night and the bushings on those ends looked good.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:32 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

yeah, you can't take half of what I say seriously. I figured you might have picked up on that from the Carolina section.

I emailed the Control Arm manufacturer and he said that the only thing he could come up with would be worn poly. I dropped the rear end of both of the LCA's last night and the bushings on those ends looked good.
Ha, yeah I kinda figured you were just joking, just didn't know for sure.... You already have upgraded sways right?
Old 10-16-2012, 12:35 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

You already have upgraded sways right?
No, not yet. Those are on the list though. I saw a sweet Whiteline rear sway setup on Jason's car this weekend.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:37 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Haha, well that will probably help a lot!.. I don't know why I thought you already had just about every bolt on handling piece on there already.. And whiteline is sexy stuff..

Quick Reply: Torque Steer?