Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Continued right front end noise, need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 06:31 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Default Continued right front end noise, need help

For the longest time I thought the noise over small bumps and road irregularities (manhole covers, bridge seams, etc) were from a worn out right front strut mount. Well, while the noise did improve ever so slightly after installing new springs, struts, and Steeda HD strut mounts, and Strano sway bars, it's still there. I also have a little noise from the rear that I've had for ages too but I thought that was from the poly and rod ends of my LCAs and panhard bar.

So, I know if I take the car in to a shop they are going to point to the upgraded suspension and say those are the reason I have noise but if I had an idea about what they should look at that would be great.

To recap I have new springs, koni struts, Steeda HD strut mounts, adjustable front sway with new bushings. Rear have new springs, koni shocks, adjustable rear sway with new bushings, spohn adj LCAs withe poly body mount and spherical axel mount, spohn adj panhard bar with poly body mount and spherical axel mount, spohn pan hard brace with poly bushings. Also have Steeda front lower A arm brace and FFRP strut brace.

Any suggestions?

Stock rear UCA
Stock front A arms
Stock tie rods
Stock front sway bar end links although they looked good at inspection
Stock wheel bearings

Car has 67k on the clock

Thanks as this noise is becoming annoying.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:15 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Check your front sway bar end links. Typical problem.

Lift the vehicle up and start fiddling with parts. Knock'em, move'em, etc until you get a similar noise. Check everything. Obviously if it's in the front right, start there. I'm willing to bet the front sway bar end links are loose or the bushings are worn. Happened to me a while back. I purchased Steeda adjustables and I was good. I do however have to tighten them every now and then so replacing stock for stock or upgrading the bushings might be a good idea. Nothing against Steeda, I love their parts and am happy with my decision. Just a little more work.

Last edited by bakerjd; 10-29-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:14 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

It sounds stupid, but you might check the interior of the wheel well. Mine was loose and rattled over bumps. Just missing a fastener.

Sounds simple but I only caught it because I braced myself on it checking the brakes.

Just an idea.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:39 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JFitz
It sounds stupid, but you might check the interior of the wheel well. Mine was loose and rattled over bumps. Just missing a fastener.

Sounds simple but I only caught it because I braced myself on it checking the brakes.

Just an idea.
Good idea! I just found a missing fastener on my right side as well! It's always the simple things we overlook, lol
Old 10-30-2012, 10:49 AM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I would've never thought to check that. Just blind luck and some alcohol.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:59 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

So what noise would I expect with bad ball joints, bad front lower control arms, and bad end links?
Old 10-31-2012, 04:56 AM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

Sounds crazy but bad ball joints, bad tie rod ends, bad front lower control arms (bushings), and bad (loose) sway bar end links, loose strut nuts, bad strut mounts, loose sway bar chassis mounts can all cause the same exact noise - a sharp, metallic and very annoying knocking rattling sound when going over small bumps and imperfections in the road.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:12 AM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the help, hopefully will have time this weekend to sort it out.