Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

I want my GT to handle as good as or better than a Boss

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 11:44 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Andy13186
I have provided feedback as specific as I can. Its hard to say exactly what i want other than increased handling performance, feel, control-ability and have more performance potential than it used to.. which i think is every persons goal to have a car that is considered superior. I have called sam and i did order my struts from him. It is a daily driver so it cant be too harsh, id like to add performance without adding much harshness if thats even possible.

Do the subframe connectors do anything for these cars? Ive read some good reviews of the bolt in subframe connectors like these : http://www.americanmuscle.com/compen...rame-0510.html

Some people say its totally unnecessary to have them. But recently i read about a guy with an 07 gt500 getting a torque crease in his roof here :

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...of-damage.html

So that's why i considered these. If they would provide more stability in the corners, or predictability/flatness or other benefits without much sacrifice i think they may be worth it.

But basically i think everyones goal is similar, add as much performance potential and increase the handling performance characteristics for the better as much as possible with as little sacrifice of ride quality as possible.. Add as much positive beneficial things and characteristics with none or little as possible negative.

Also, the most worthwhile and cost effective mods 1st...

I dont drag it, and i dont autocross, so mabe ive done everything worthwhile in terms of practical and worthwhile suspension mods for now.
No, no, no, no, no. Not everyone's goal is similar. Not really. Again you are assuming that when Joe says I want it to perform better he defines that the same way Bob does. If you insist on that approach, then there are only two things I can do for you.

1. You tell me that you want these parts and there is no need to discuss how they work, and when to run them, and I'll sell you whatever you want and just be a guy who sells parts, not one that consults on the final result. I am after all in business, but I prefer that folks get *what they need* to make them happy, makes for return business.

or

2. You can try and understand that "I'm sick and want to feel better" doesn't help your doctor figure out what's wrong. But maybe telling him or her that your chest hurts, or you can't sleep, or whatever is a clue toward finding the solution. I'm not a mind reader, and it's not fair to ask me, or anyone what the answer is, when the question is beyond vague. I'm sure you will get answers, you already have. How many have any supporting information? It's easy to tell someone "sure, that's be great" to get a sale if you are working commission and that's your biggest goal. I own my place, and I want the long term customer, I think (maybe foolishly) that goes along with good advice you can actually bank on. But I need information to give that kind of advice.

I think I've said about all I can about this. Ball is in your court.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:51 PM
david tittermary

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Well there's a blast from the past. For those watching, he's being sarcastic (note the smiley face). I still prefer to autocross, but I do some track days here and there to kill time between, you know... winning at the most pure handling discipline there is.

winning 7x at that!! still say the most pure handing discipline involves 2 wheels but I have a car once more so looking forward to seeing you guys again, when is the next event pretty close to our area? (even if it involves those damn cones )

dt
Old 11-15-2012, 12:53 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

It's actually 14 times when you add in the 6 ProSolo class, and 1 ProSolo Overall Championships. I've also been given the Driver of the Year award, and just this year the Driver of Eminence award too. Not much left I haven't done I guess.

The next event? Wow, now it'd be spring in the MD area. We do run some in Waldorf now, which you might find closer to you... it's not huge, but we tend to overlap for a good course length, and the asphalt is very nice and pretty grippy.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:35 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

I see that there is a Chassis stiffening thread, and I see Sam has recommended subframes in this thread. Ive now heard alot of conflicting reports on subframes for s197 mustangs some people saying they do nothing, others list benefits. Subframes seem like something that could have benefits with almost no negative effects other than wallet shrinkage.

For now, im not buying anything since im working on other projects (townhouse renovation), but I do want to know what other people would do to the car, including the pro's, and may eventually invest in some further suspension upgrades.

I go over alot of speedbumps, which are very high. I almost scrape currently, and i have actually hit metal to the speed bump when i went over it too fast. Do subframes reduce ground clearance? What are the actual pros and cons of subframe connectors on a 2011 gt?
Old 11-15-2012, 07:04 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

you need to learn how your car is behaving now and what you want to improve, change or tune. you're being very vague and blindly looking at parts to slap on as ways to make the car 'better' but realistically you could just be tossing money at the car and unaware of what you're changing or impacting.

it's okay to not know what is missing or what needs to be improved on the car - but that's typically when you leave it alone. when it comes to suspension I take a 'if it's not broke, don't fix it' approach. I picked mods to lower the car, comfortably, reliably, and without taking any shortcuts. I'm not really experiencing any significant wheel hop, body roll, nose dive, understeer or oversteer, it's feeling very neutral with a very slight bias towards oversteer and .. I *like* how it feels. it is very easy to disrupt that balance with a single suspension mod!

as a daily driver, why should I further work on making the chassis more rigid, or adding adjustable sways, etc? these are the kind of mods you look into when the car is experiencing something you deem a problem, and something you'd like to remedy. as an example, if you could tell Sam, here is my car configuration, and I am experiencing too much understeer.. he could talk you through it.

I'm no expert, just trying to help clarify some information you are failing to convey to get appropriate feedback.