Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Longevity of rear LCAs

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 07:01 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
I prefer solid, non-adjustable LCAs with poly bushings because they don't require any upkeep. They reduce wheel hop and improve cornering just like the double adjustable, spherical LCAs, but they don't wear out and make all kinds of racket back there.

Here's what I'm using and they work really well.

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-c...ushing-05.html

Originally Posted by DRock
So your telling me the poly bushings provide the exact same improvement as te rod ends?

Yea yea ok
I was unspecific, and you nailed me on it. I guess that's my fault. I hope you don't actually believe that I don't know the difference between poly and spherical bearings, but maybe you do think that about me.

What I was trying to convey in my initial post was that both the solid lowers with poly bushings AND the double adjustable lowers with sphericals will reduce wheel hop and improve cornering. But yes, the amount of improvement varies between the two options. My personal opinion is that ON A DAILY DRIVER, the smoother more accurate articulation of the LCAs with sphericals is not worth the added NVH.

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Axle articulation is important, and if you use Poly bushings at both ends of the control arm, and then have a control arm that is boxed or tubular, or otherwise doesn't allow longitudinal flex, then the body will get drug around way more than you want when you hit bumps, dips, etc.

So, I'm going to wholeheartedly disagree with Sharad on this, and I do so as someone who does indeed carry arms that use poly at both ends (doesn't mean they are my preference). And the truth is those are an easier sell, because they cost less, but they do not allow the articulation you want. See also the reason the stock bushings have gaps cut in them top and bottom (for articulation).
Wait wait wait... one minute you are dead against upgrading the LCAs, and now you're suggesting the full race LCAs?!?

Just busting your ***** Sam. You're not actually disagreeing with me in your post. I recommend the poly arms for most people's STREET cars because they are a good compromise between improved handling and minimal NVH. My opinion is based on tens of thousands of street miles on my S197, including autocross and HPDE. But if someone says "I want to eliminate wheel hop, I want max cornering grip, and I want to eliminate binding", of course I'm going to get them into something like this:

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-p...d-rear-05.html

Originally Posted by 05WIMustang
What replacement lower control arms are the "best bang" for the buck for OEM like performance? Those GT500 are pricey, correct ?
The arms I mentioned on page 1.