Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Koni SRT or Sports?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 02:40 PM
Mustang259

Default Koni SRT or Sports?

I have a 2013 GT vert with the Brembo package, it is stock except for Metco LCA's and an MGW short throw shifter. It is a daily driver that gets to go corner carving every chance I get, I have no intentions to race or autox.

My question is, which shocks are most suitable for a DD/cornering set up?

I like the fact that the SRT is less expensive but, I also think the adjustability of the Sports would be useful.

My future plans for the car are simply to make it handle and corner better, right now it still gets a little too deep into the corner but the LCA's have improved the throttle steer coming out of the corner. I may look at sway bars at a later date.

Any input from owners of these shocks on a brembo car would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Old 01-18-2013, 03:24 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

i have the sports and they are super bad ***, and on their softest setting equal the SRT's, so you will still get some improved handling. unless your gonna race though i would stick with the cheaper stuff
Old 01-18-2013, 06:55 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

I really like my Koni streets. I have them matched with Steeda Ultralites. I think they damper pretty well.

I'm back on my stock LCAs and that softened up the rear around corners which is more secure but a little too soft. New LCAs coming on soon.

Brembo cars are stiffer than base 5.0s so if I was in your position, I would go with the yellows for more versatility plus they are a great shock that you can grow into if you get even stiffer springs or sways.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:51 PM
Jay@Hypermotive
Former Sponsor

You'll be very happy with the adjust ability of the koni yellows. Don't forget they offer a lifetime warranty.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:59 PM
bgoose99
1st Gear Member

I was on the fence about my shocks/struts as well. The adjustability of the sports is worth every penny. Even though I'll probably only mess with the settings until I get it exactly the way I want it, I have the ability to change it.

Sounds like you like the idea of being able to adjust the suspension. Spend the extra money for the sports...you won't regret it.

Call Sam Strano and tell him what you want out of the car. He's extremely helpful, and will take the time to help you get exactly what you need, as well as making sure you don't waste money on stuff you don't.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:07 AM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

^^^^agree
Old 01-19-2013, 09:30 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

yea definitely call sam. hell be able to tell you if your wasting your money or not on the sports (IMO your never wasting money on sports btw lol)
Old 01-19-2013, 09:42 AM
Mustang259

Well it looks like the Koni sports are winning, I had forgotten about the life time warranty, thanks for all the great advice.
BTW, your cars look great, makes me want to save up for lowering springs to go with the Koni's!
Old 01-19-2013, 09:50 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang259
I have a 2013 GT vert with the Brembo package, it is stock except for Metco LCA's and an MGW short throw shifter. It is a daily driver that gets to go corner carving every chance I get, I have no intentions to race or autox.

My question is, which shocks are most suitable for a DD/cornering set up?

I like the fact that the SRT is less expensive but, I also think the adjustability of the Sports would be useful.
If nothing else, the adjustability will allow you to "tighten up" the dampers as they age. Depending on what the roads in your area look like and what any passenger tolerance for firm ride happens to be, you can dial out stiffness for those occasions. Most folks will notice the difference a quarter turn makes.

FWIW, I'm running the Sports and still on the OE springs (but with Sam's sta-bars). I'm adjusted a bit up from full soft, with the fronts somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4 turn firmer than the rears. If you're paying attention and have some idea what to be observing, you can tell that full soft is not quite enough damping for best tire grip.

My future plans for the car are simply to make it handle and corner better, right now it still gets a little too deep into the corner but the LCA's have improved the throttle steer coming out of the corner. I may look at sway bars at a later date.
You probably don't want to hear this, but everything I've heard about Metco is that they're strictly oriented toward drag racing. So I went to this page on their site to verify what I had assumed about your LCAs.

It's not the LCAs themselves, it's the bushings. The up-side is that they are pretty good at making wheel hop go away. The down-side is that they also add rear roll stiffness much like installing a thicker rear sta-bar or stiffer rear springs will do. Plus they'll generally add a bit of stiction that appears to be some function of how well the lube is holding up.

I think you've already experienced the tail being a bit easier to get to drifting a little via the throttle. Be careful - when throttle steering gets too easy at street-level maneuvering speeds it can and will turn and bite. Technically, you've added some unknown amount of rear roll stiffness. You may have heard of suspension "bind". Same thing, different name. Yes, you can probably crutch the situation with a softer rear bar than what you'd run otherwise, but it seems better to avoid the problem in the first place so that you don't need to do the band-aid either.

For those reasons, you'll generally find the serious corner-carvers among us who are running aftermarket LCAs are running the kind with some sort of spherical joint in at least one end of the LCAs. This removes much of the added roll stiffness. If the other end is poly, there are a couple of things you can do to take a little more of the "bind" out of the arrangement.

Whatever you do, keep all poly surfaces that slide over metal lubricated. The stiction that this eliminates benefits both ride quality and handling behavior (it'll be less sensitive to the throttle and won't snap loose quite as readily). From a performance point of view, that lube quiets the squeaks is strictly a side benefit.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 01-19-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:13 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang259
Well it looks like the Koni sports are winning, I had forgotten about the life time warranty, thanks for all the great advice.
BTW, your cars look great, makes me want to save up for lowering springs to go with the Koni's!
thanks. you wont be dissapointed with how the car looks with a mild drop

Quick Reply: Koni SRT or Sports?