Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Suspension Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 10:06 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Default Suspension Build

Looking for opinions on my suspension build. Click the link in my sig to see what I already have. I'll be getting these parts over the next few months while I'm overseas. I enjoy some road racing in my free time (I don't claim to be any good). One thing that bothers me most is the excessive body roll, especially over the front of the car (if that makes sense). I feel like I'm trying to steer a sailboat through a hurricane! I'm also upgrading the brakes and wheels/tires. What do you all think? Anything you'd change out and why?

Whiteline Bumpsteer Kit - car is lowered 1.5" already and geometry needs to be corrected.
Whiteline Adjustable Rear Sway Bar - sway bars are something I'm really open to suggestions about. I like the Whitelines for their decent price, adjustability, and the rear sway bar design.
Whiteline Adjustable Front Sway Bar
Whiteline Watts Link - justification for this is pretty self-explanatory.
J&M Upper Control Arm Mount
J&M Adjustable Upper Control Arm
Koni Yellows
Stainless Steel Brake Lines - front and rear, as well as new pads.

Ideally I'd like to find some 18" Bullitt-style wheels that clear Brembos but have been unsuccessful so far. There will be more stuff in the future, this is just a place to start.

Last edited by CMcNam; 01-31-2013 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Fixed a link.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:10 AM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

You may be able to get a set of 18x8.5s and throw a spacer behind it to clear but I'm no wheel guru, it's just something I thought might work.

I would also check into the Fays2 Watts Link simply because it looks like a more stable piece for the price and I believe it can be welded in or bolted, whichever you want.

Fays2 Watts Link
Old 01-31-2013, 11:33 AM
ilmor
3rd Gear Member

Personally I would simply get a Ford Racing suspension kit. This is what my Shelby GT has and it feels great on track. Along with this I have upgraded the brakes w/ drilled / slotted rotors, S/S lines & high temp fluid. I also added J&M street/race control arms and an adj. panhard bar to center the rear axle (necessary as the susp. Kit lowers the car 1.5 inches). I've made no front end changes; doesn't seem necessary.

If you want 18" wheels that clear Brembos, I believe a nice set of used GT500 wheels will do the trick.

I don't think the watts link will be of much value from what I've read. You may want to put that off to last to see if you really want to spend the money.

Last edited by ilmor; 01-31-2013 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 01-31-2013, 11:53 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ZPounds07GT
You may be able to get a set of 18x8.5s and throw a spacer behind it to clear but I'm no wheel guru, it's just something I thought might work.

I would also check into the Fays2 Watts Link simply because it looks like a more stable piece for the price and I believe it can be welded in or bolted, whichever you want.

Fays2 Watts Link
From what I understand spacers and road racing are a no-go. The Fays2 does look nice as well. After doing research on both, I couldn't really see much difference between a diff-mounted Watts link or an axle-mounted one, but I felt the diff-mounted one is probably stronger (6 bolts) and seems simpler to me. I like simple. I could be wrong though, so maybe someone that has experience with both could help? I hadn't thought of welding in the Fays2 though, so you bring up something to consider.

Originally Posted by ilmor
Personally I would simply get a Ford Racing suspension kit. This is what my Shelby GT has and it feels great on track. Along with this I have upgraded the brakes w/ drilled / slotted rotors, S/S lines & high temp fluid. I also added J&M street/race control arms and an adj. panhard bar to center the rear axle (necessary as the susp. Kit lowers the car 1.5 inches). I've made no front end changes; doesn't seem necessary.

If you want 18" wheels that clear Brembos, I believe a nice set of used GT500 wheels will do the trick.

I don't think the watts link will be of much value from what I've read. You may want to put that off to last to see if you really want to spend the money.
Doesn't look like the Ford kit has any adjustability and I already have H&R springs so I don't want to buy something that has another set of springs. How's the quality on those J&M pieces? I have their camber plates and was impressed with them.

I like the GT500 wheels, but was just curious if anyone knew of any Bullitt-style rims that fit Brembos.

I would prefer the car handle the same whether I'm turning left or right. The Watts link takes care of that. Panhard bars work pretty well, but in my limited track experience I've already noticed its limitations.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:55 AM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

I would take that money and put it toward Driver Mods. There are TONS of different schools and they are relatively cheap. My friend races in 24HourofLemons. After two seasons of just winging it on the track, he went to ONE school and knocked almost 10 seconds off of his track time. That's a LOT.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:56 AM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

If he drives on track and street, which it appears he does, then the adjustment on the Konis will be better than just having standard Ford Racing shocks. Also, the Watts Link will do more than what the panhard will do. It will center the axle and handle "like" an IRS. Inconsistencies in the pavement will no longer be an issue for the rear axle.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:02 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ditty
I would take that money and put it toward Driver Mods. There are TONS of different schools and they are relatively cheap. My friend races in 24HourofLemons. After two seasons of just winging it on the track, he went to ONE school and knocked almost 10 seconds off of his track time. That's a LOT.
That's on my list too, but that's not as much fun to discuss as parts!

Originally Posted by ZPounds07GT
If he drives on track and street, which it appears he does, then the adjustment on the Konis will be better than just having standard Ford Racing shocks. Also, the Watts Link will do more than what the panhard will do. It will center the axle and handle "like" an IRS. Inconsistencies in the pavement will no longer be an issue for the rear axle.
Bingo.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:21 PM
Jay@Hypermotive
Former Sponsor

Whiteline is a fantastic product that I'm sure you'll enjoy. Your list is a good list, I'd stay away from the FRPP kit. You have no idea who has made those struts as it depends on the build dates. Most people like the FRPP kits when they don't have much experience with other brands that are much better for the money. Koni adjustables are an excellent upgrade and they offer a lifetime warranty were as other brands do not. On our 2011 GT we had the entire Whiteline getup and can tell you it handled like a dream.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:02 AM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

The sta-bars are interesting. The rear bar seems way over kill, 27mm solid bar when stock was 20mm and was rated at 95lbs/in. The whiteline bar might be close to 250lbs/in which may make the rear end real touchy. Granted, since its adjustable, the softer setting may be much lower, you would have to mess around with it. Conversely, the front bar is only 33mm while most competitors are closer to 36mm and tubular. I wonder how much that white line stuff weighs compared to Strano bars.

I can't tell from the link if the ball joints are taller than stock and require 18 in wheels, should make sure if you are not doing wheels at the same time.

I would think that on the track, your complaint about the panhard bar is more than likely not the real source of the handling woes but rather the stock shocks, stock sway bars, and the stock 17 rubber.

Just my 2 cents
Old 02-01-2013, 06:54 AM
ilmor
3rd Gear Member

The FRPP kit on the Shelby GT is excellent on track and I love the street handling as well. You are correct, there is no adjusaibilty (other than front sway bar), which could become important dependent upon the amount / type / class of racing and cost considerations.

As for the wheels, I just happened across this link just now and thought you might be interested...and no, they are not mine or a friends!

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/ind.../#entry1405784

Quick Reply: Suspension Build