Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

New Mustang...Rear axle upgrade and airbag suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 05:22 PM
tacticool

Default New Mustang...Rear axle upgrade and airbag suspension

American Muscle has the rear axle assembly for $1400. Aside from the 3.71 gears and Traction-Loc, will I actually improve handling in the corners? In other words, aside from being able to handle more power because it is stock on the BOSS 302, is this upgrade worthwhile for a base v6 mustang? Because if the rear assembly is basically the same as the v6 stock, I might as well just put in 3.71 and change out limited slip diff.

Additionally I am toying around with the idea of the Airlift Suspension Kit in addition to the usual fat sway bar and strut bar.

Also...I like the Brembo package wheels on the GT but those rims are 27 pounds each it seems like OZ Racing has wheels that are much lighter. Opinions?

thanks!
Old 03-03-2013, 07:36 PM
JimC

The rear axle assembly itself is basically the same. Better off just upgrading the gears to the 3.73 if that is what you want; if you want a stronger limited slip do that at the same time. But unless you are stressing it at the drag strip, the tlok is probably enough for your application.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:24 PM
tacticool

so the increasing handling gain of the axle from the Boss 302 is basically just the locking diff locking up the inner wheel faster? Hmm if that is the case I'll just up the gear to 3.73 and install a new LSD. I see lots of different prices on LSD's which one would give most I guess bang for the buck?
Old 03-04-2013, 05:59 AM
JimC

What are your plans for the car? How are you using it that makes you want a different LSD? That will determine what makes the most sense for you.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:50 AM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

Do the 2014 V6's have an 8.8" rear? Or do the V6's still have a 7.5" rear? If they still come with 7.5's, the Boss rear is a definite upgrade.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:35 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

2012+ have 8.8's. the 8.8 i put in my car come from a new v6. its nice because they already come with the correct flange haha
Old 03-04-2013, 10:17 AM
tacticool

My plans for this car is mainly a daily driver. But when I hit the winding roads I would like something that feels solid and planted. I may occasionally take it to the local track/autocross but I don't have drag racing in my plans.

Planned mods:
intake/exhaust
bigger wheels/brakes
Airlift Performance Suspension
Strut tower/sway bars
battery relocation kit...haha

and I believe 2012+ comes with 8.8" rear

It seems like since my car won't need to handle 500+ horsepower the SVT axle does not seem necessary! that saves monies haha
Old 03-04-2013, 07:13 PM
JimC

For your intended use it doesn't sound like the LSD is what you are looking for. That isn't going to make your suspension feel any different. You are looking for suspension mods to make the car feel solid and planted. That means LCA and UCA, along with springs and shocks/struts. The change to a torsen differential from the Ford Tlok won't give you what you are looking for.

And yes, starting in 2011 with the introduction of the 3.7L V6 all Mustangs were built with the 8.8" rear end. The 7.5 ended with the 2010 model year.

I'm sure that others more knowledgeable than me on suspension tuning will chime in now that you've identified what you are trying to do.

Last edited by JimC; 03-04-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:04 PM
tacticool

Thanks very much Mr. JimC!

For those who may be wondering why I am looking into Airlift suspension...my mom might occasionally drive my car and giving her more height clearance would mean the extra cost would pay for itself in no time. LOL I hear good things about them too but I am still in my preliminary research..who knows what I'll actually end up getting.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:41 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tacticool
Thanks very much Mr. JimC!

For those who may be wondering why I am looking into Airlift suspension...my mom might occasionally drive my car and giving her more height clearance would mean the extra cost would pay for itself in no time. LOL I hear good things about them too but I am still in my preliminary research..who knows what I'll actually end up getting.
theres a couple guys on here with air suspension, i know they have a couple threads in the main 05-13 section. try searching for them im sure theyll be able to tell you all about the systems

Quick Reply: New Mustang...Rear axle upgrade and airbag suspension