Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Need New Tires...Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 09:52 AM
nbd13
2nd Gear Member

Default Need New Tires...Suggestions

Hey guys,

I am in the market for new tires. I need some help, I want good tires. Here is what I am working with:

- '06 GT Automatic Vert
- Saleen Supercharger Stage 2 installed from Breenspeed (411 RWHP and 412 Torque)
- Foose Nitrous Wheels 18" x 8.5"

- I need tires to drive on the street. I go to the track once in a great great while, but need something street reliable! This is the crucial component here.... ALSO I ONLY DRIVE THE CAR IN THE SUMMER. I do drive the car in the rain if that matters. So, decent tires in the rain is a must.

I have Pirelli P-Zero Neros on the car now, they are decent.

What do you guys think? Are there better tires out there?

Thanks in advance,

Nick
Old 03-18-2013, 10:08 AM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

PZeros Neros are good, but a bit pricey and the grip is not that good (I had a set on a BMW 540). They last forever, though! For a street tire I'd go Conti DW or ventus v12. I think both are good, but I have a very slight preference for the Conti. These might even work at the track.

I would definitely consider wider wheels and tires at those power levels. A nice set of 18x9.5 GT500 wheels would look great and properly support a 285 at the back. They're not free though!
Old 03-20-2013, 06:38 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Goodyear Asymmetric 2's in 255/45-18 will fit your 18 x 8.5" wheels and also anybody's 18 x 9.5's.

I have the 1st gen Asymmetrics in that size, and they are clearly better in the wet than the 235/50-18 BFG's that the car came with even though they're wider. Mine are on the GT500 wheels, whatever that may be worth.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....A2XL&tab=Specs#

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 03-20-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:43 AM
nbd13
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Goodyear Asymmetric 2's in 255/45-18 will fit your 18 x 8.5" wheels and also anybody's 18 x 9.5's.

I have the 1st gen Asymmetrics in that size, and they are clearly better in the wet than the 235/50-18 BFG's that the car came with even though they're wider. Mine are on the GT500 wheels, whatever that may be worth.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....A2XL&tab=Specs#

Norm
Thanks. It's not in the budget at the moment to upgrade the rims, so I am stuck with these.

So you think 255/45-18 will be fine with no clearance issues? Don't want them to rub at all.

You think for the money, the Goodyear Asymmetric 2's are the best out there?

Thanks again,

Nick
Old 03-20-2013, 09:28 AM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

255/45/18 will not rub.

The V12 and Conti are good and cheaper than the asymmetrics.

Look at tire rack for reviews of those tires.

I would recommend the Sumitomo HTR Z III, just because they are much cheaper, on sale, and should be a good bang for your buck.

It would be fine for the street since that is what your primary goal.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:08 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

What, no mention of the "mother" of all summer tires???
Hard to beat the good old Nitto 555's for summer bologna's.
Grip like a mother in the heat, not to bad in the wet.
If I couldn't get my hands on the nitto's, I would go with the conti dw's.
The conti's have got great reviews from the members of the mf.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:35 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nbd13
Thanks. It's not in the budget at the moment to upgrade the rims, so I am stuck with these.

So you think 255/45-18 will be fine with no clearance issues? Don't want them to rub at all.

You think for the money, the Goodyear Asymmetric 2's are the best out there?

Thanks again,

Nick
Except for when the weather turns colder, as in below somewhere between 40°F and 45°F, they're probably the best tires I've ever bought. Mine are on GT500 wheels, and the outer sidewall and wheel flange are less than about 3/4" further out from the 235/50's on 8.5" wide wheels.

I won't try to rank tires that I haven't driven on beyond what anybody else could do with the Tire Rack information.

Here's the top dozen or so Max Performance tires based on customer sueveys. Don't over think it or put too much weight on small differences. Keep in mind the number of miles on which each tire's ranking is based. More miles basis is generally more reliable than ratings based on only a few miles. The Asymmetric 2's are apparently too new, but the originals have always enjoyed high marks. Even Consumer Reports had decent things to say about them.

Maybe read this Tire Rack test.

Norm
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
New Picture (3).bmp (185.7 KB, 170 views)

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 03-20-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:50 AM
nbd13
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Except for when the weather turns colder, as in below somewhere between 40°F and 45°F, they're probably the best tires I've ever bought. Mine are on GT500 wheels, and the outer sidewall and wheel flange are less than about 3/4" further out from the 235/50's on 8.5" wide wheels.

I won't try to rank tires that I haven't driven on beyond what anybody else could do with the Tire Rack information.

Here's the top dozen or so Max Performance tires based on customer sueveys. Don't over think it or put too much weight on small differences. Keep in mind the number of miles on which each tire's ranking is based. More miles basis is generally more reliable than ratings based on only a few miles. The Asymmetric 2's are apparently too new, but the originals have always enjoyed high marks. Even Consumer Reports had decent things to say about them.

Maybe read this Tire Rack test.

Norm
Thanks Norm,

I only drive the car in the summer. So temps are usually never below 50...in Michigan and all.

How many miles have you gotten out of the Goodyear Asymmetric 2's?

Thanks,

Nick
Old 03-20-2013, 12:32 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I have the original Asymmetrics, rated at either 220 or 240 treadwear. To date, I've got somewhere between 12,500 and 15,000 miles on them and they're less than 40% worn, so I'm expecting to get 30,000 out of them before they're done. Which is right about average for me, as I expect 12,000 miles or so per 100 treadwear.

The Asymmetric 2's are 300 treadwear, so I'd expect high 30k out of those.

YMMV, of course, but those miles of mine include some pretty hard cornering. But no burnouts or show-off wheelspinning starts.

Norm
Old 03-20-2013, 06:44 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

If you have the budget, Michelin Pilot Super Sports are probably the best tire now being made.

Quick Reply: Need New Tires...Suggestions