Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

New member with alignment issues..

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 12:54 PM
smithmr2

Default New member with alignment issues..

Hello all,

I am helping a friend fix the handling issues on her 2006 mustang GT. Our first problem was wheel vibration, alignment that pulled to the right severely and warped rotors. She had not had a alignment since she has owned the car (almost 2 years) so we had that first done. I took it to NTB for a alignment and inspection, it was apparent the front drivers side ball joint was bad. Ive read that it is common for s197 controls arm to be replaced. I replaced the front drivers side lower control arm with pad and rotors on both sides in about 2 hours.

So I take it back to NTB and the camber on the front passenger side is a negative -2.1. NTB recommended enlarging the struts holes where the spindle is bolted. But the car is stock height and suspension so it had to be something bent. I took off the front struts and they both had discoloration on the strut rods. When I tried compressing the strut the both would push back up then come to a stop where the discoloration started. I also noticed the strut holes had already been drilled with a enlarged bolt. I fount out the dealership she purchased the mustang from had did this to try and solve camber issues that they had try to deal with.

So I replaced both struts and now the camber on the front passenger side is -2.1 . The driver side camber went from a -1.1 to -1.3. So before I replace the other control lower control arm is there anything else that can effect the camber besides the LCR, strut, spindle or frame damage? The is no frame damage and from my understanding the spindles rarely bend since they are cast iron? Im certain its the lower control arm but i would like a second opinion..

My other issue is with the rear.. Camber on the passenger side has been -.6 with toe -.27 then after multiple tire rotations it was camber -.5 with toe -.31 . Camber on the rear drivers side has been -.1 after both alignments. All the cars I worked on myself were independent rear suspension so Im not exactly sure with this since its a solid axle. NTB said the rear passenger should be replace. Would this solve the issue? Im not sure if I read correctly but the rear has no adjustment for the camber aswell and the toe would be caused by negative camber. And pretty much everything i found on the forums are related to lower issues.. So should I replace the rear struts or is there something else that would effect the camber and toe?

Thanks for any answers or help, I plan to post some DIY youtube videos and pics to contribute to the forums in return.

Alignment after drivers side lower control arm
Name:  photo7_zps922124f4.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  80.5 KB

Alignment after new front struts

Name:  photo8_zps8d74f607.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  77.1 KB
Old 04-19-2013, 03:04 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

The rear is a solid axle, so if you have negative camber then you have a bent axle tube or something else is bent

Last edited by moosestang; 04-19-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:58 PM
smithmr2

What other suspension parts would effect negative camber besides a bent axle tube? hopefully something easier.. would bad struts effect camber on a solid axle if they are sagging or bent?
Old 04-19-2013, 04:11 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smithmr2
What other suspension parts would effect negative camber besides a bent axle tube? hopefully something easier.. would bad struts effect camber on a solid axle if they are sagging or bent?
regardless of what the suspension is doing, the rear wheels will be perpendicular to the ground, that's assume the axle is true from the factory, which it may not be.

Rear has shocks, not struts. Is the suspension stock?

As far as the toe goes, it's the drivers side has toe out, then the passenger side should have toe in or vice versa.

The axles shafts could be slightly bent.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:44 PM
smithmr2

Yes stock suspension.. The car also drives really smooth besides the alignment pulling to the left.. No vibration or wobbling..
Old 04-19-2013, 07:46 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smithmr2
Yes stock suspension.. The car also drives really smooth besides the alignment pulling to the left.. No vibration or wobbling..
I read somewhere that the manufactures spec is -.75 for front camber, but I'm not positive on that. Maybe this car was in an accident. You can get eccentric bolts to replace the upper strut to spindle mounting bolt. I think they are good for up to 1 degree of adjustment, so that would get you pretty close to spec. you could install these yourself and get it pretty close, You can turn the bolt and watch the top of the spindle mount move in and out. The factory setup is nonadjustable for camber.

you can see from the marks on the strut where the stock bolt used be be.

Are you sure the car hasn't been lowered? This is stock.

This is lowered 1.5 inches

This is lowered 1.5 inches.

Last edited by moosestang; 04-19-2013 at 07:50 PM.