Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Whiteline sway bars-which mounting holes to use?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 09:14 PM
msp
1st Gear Member

Default Whiteline sway bars-which mounting holes to use?

I've got Whiteline sway bars coming and would like recommendations on which mounting holes to start with. I've got a '13 GT with Koni yellows, Steeda camber plates and springs. It's not a daily driver and I want to set it up for road course use. I was thinking 3rd stiffest hole (out of 4) for rears and middle for front. Any suggestions?
Old 06-02-2013, 10:47 PM
Boaisy
1st Gear Member

So I just mounted mine today.

There is a video by Whiteline that explains their hole methods. Pretty much you have the SWAYBAR, Holes 4 3 2 1, and then the OUTER END. Their "advertised" strength is achieved at hole #2. The more you go towards the swaybar (holes 3 & 4), the stiffer you make the sway bar. Of course using hole #1 makes it softer.

In their 4-hole setup, each hole = 1mm of strength. For Ex: with hole #2 being 33mm on the front, hole #4 would be 35mm, hole #3 would be 34mm, etc.

I would start with hole #3, and move up if needed. Their tower mounts are supposed to help with corner weights if you ever start messing with that. That will fine tune the bars after you figure out your hole setting. The bars themselves are already stiffer than factory, even at Whiteline's stock settings. It just takes a few runs to figure out what is best for you.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:12 PM
magnido45
2nd Gear Member

Referencing Boaisy's post, I had my front and rear Whiteline sway bars at hole 1 to get a feel for them on full soft...but just recently set them to hole 2 and like them better...car turns faster!!!
Old 06-05-2013, 10:43 AM
Boaisy
1st Gear Member

I'm liking mine as well. I don't know if it is the sway bars, the upper control arm, or a combo of both, but I am able to take a corner pretty fast and punch it without anything getting upset. It is going to be a lot of fun to try out at the next autocross.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:03 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

I just did the Whiteline rear bar this past weekend. What did you guys do to figure out how tight to go with the hardware. Seemed a bit off that the install sheet had no torque specs.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:10 PM
magnido45
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
I just did the Whiteline rear bar this past weekend. What did you guys do to figure out how tight to go with the hardware. Seemed a bit off that the install sheet had no torque specs.
I had my installer adjust the firmness of the sway bars for me...but here is what Whiteline replied on one of my inquiries...they are good at emailing you back within 24 hrs:

Thank you for your inquiry!
Best bet would be to drive the car up a set of ramps and adjust them accordingly.
Please be sure to torque the end links to 45-55lb/ft.
Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards,

Jan Pasia
Technical Service Coordinator
Old 06-10-2013, 11:33 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by magnido45
I had my installer adjust the firmness of the sway bars for me...but here is what Whiteline replied on one of my inquiries...they are good at emailing you back within 24 hrs:

Thank you for your inquiry!
Best bet would be to drive the car up a set of ramps and adjust them accordingly.
Please be sure to torque the end links to 45-55lb/ft.
Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards,

Jan Pasia
Technical Service Coordinator
Thanks. I actually asked Jan that, but he never got back to me (I know he was out sick last week, so he can have some slack )

I set mine with weight on the suspension to 50lb/ft, so it sounds like my guesstimate was on the money

Whiteline makes amazing parts, and their customer service is excellent in general, I just wish they'd hire more/better tech writers so their documentation would match the level of the rest of their game.

Last edited by Torch_Vert; 06-11-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:44 PM
Boaisy
1st Gear Member

They worked well at the autocross with the 3rd hole. One of my nemesis in a turbo RX-7 was beating me until the recent event. He placed a lap time and thought no one would beat it. After about 3 runs, I beat him by .2 when normally I would be behind by 1.5 seconds. Granted when he went back out and raced his *** of (he spun after the finish from driving so hard), he bettered the time.

Been taking it on the back roads to work as well, and i can take turns easily around 60-65mph that the factory would only able to do 50 at the most. I would say it is like driving on rails, but I think lowering the car after these bars would be more like it. So more like 75% driving on rails.

Last edited by Boaisy; 06-11-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:56 AM
magnido45
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boaisy
They worked well at the autocross with the 3rd hole. One of my nemesis in a turbo RX-7 was beating me until the recent event. He placed a lap time and thought no one would beat it. After about 3 runs, I beat him by .2 when normally I would be behind by 1.5 seconds. Granted when he went back out and raced his *** of (he spun after the finish from driving so hard), he bettered the time.

Been taking it on the back roads to work as well, and i can take turns easily around 60-65mph that the factory would only able to do 50 at the most. I would say it is like driving on rails, but I think lowering the car after these bars would be more like it. So more like 75% driving on rails.
Boaisy...do you have both sway bars set at the 3rd hole? I went back to read you posts and I didn't see a mention of both.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:52 AM
Boaisy
1st Gear Member

I have both set to hole 3 for autocross, and hole 2 for DD.

Quick Reply: Whiteline sway bars-which mounting holes to use?