Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Show me the (handling) money

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 09:03 PM
Slowpoek06GT
1st Gear Member

Default Show me the (handling) money

All right, MFers--
I need your input. I intend to take the 06 GT to the track and put her thru the paces. In your opinion (humble or not), what should I be adding to give myself the best handling capability? Corners-- in and out. I've dug thru some threads on springs and Koni's and sway bars and tires and all that--

Money is not an option. What should go on this car?
Currently eibach springs 1.5/1.0 drop is only suspension change. I will run NT555 on 18" wheels. You tell me, but I'm already thinking:

Sway bars
Koni yellows
LCA?

I have not had this car on the track before but she does pretty well already. However, I have lost a few corners while toeing the proverbial line between stability and performance.

Thanks, in advance
Old 06-05-2013, 10:00 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

If you've never been to the track before, I'd wait until after your first track session to figure out where you feel the car is lacking. The track and the road are very different. How about some professional lessons? I need some of those as well, haha!

The shocks/struts are good place to start though if the money's really burning a hole in your pocket.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:14 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

if money is no object:
1. track day instruction
2. konis
3. super sticky tires and light weight rims
4. watts link
5. all the track time you can get

theres obviously a bunch of other stuff you can get, but i bet you the stuff i listed above will show you the greatest improvment, especially the instruction and just plain old seat time
Old 06-05-2013, 12:23 PM
jackal119
1st Gear Member

CMcNam got the right line of though there. I personal would not spend a dime until you got about 20 hours of on track time. You will ruin your first set of tires quickly from errors. The import thing will be the brakes after you start finding the raceline and get comfortable driving at the higher speed. Mods can open a can of worms that just never seem to end.

Last edited by jackal119; 06-05-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:55 PM
Boaisy
1st Gear Member

Yep. Even though I autocrossed two years prior to owning my Mustang, I still put it through at least 50+ hours of track time before changing anything on it. It is common thought to think that the car will get better with mods, but the mods will mean nothing if the driver does not already know how the car is supposed to feel. Not to mention, the order of the mods that you may need will all depend on how you feel your car should handle.

Think of it like a marriage, if you rush into it, you will find problems the rest of the way and it may or may not work out. However, if you give it some time before diving in, you will have a much greater chance of living happily ever after.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:16 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Here are the suspension upgrades I did to my '06 GT, and it handles really well.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...g-package.html
Old 06-05-2013, 06:24 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Check out the list in my signature on my 2013 GT. She is quite the beast as far as suspension goes. The only thing I have no done is panhard bar support brace, control arm relocation brackets and shocks and struts. Mainly just waiting on the stock shocks and struts to wear out while I let my credit card recover from the suspension upgrades haha. I would highly recommend Whiteline products though they are top of the line.

Mine is setup a lot more for track course though but I would imagine it would do just fine on the strip.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:27 PM
artdohc
1st Gear Member

If it were me:

Driving instructions
Better tires (a set specifically for the track would be best)
Better brake pads
Better brake fluid
Stainless steel brake lines
Better brake rotors
Lightweight wheels (a set specifically for the track would be best)
Koni yellows (or just go to coil-overs now if you really have the money)
Springs (or just go to coil-overs now if you really have the money)
Better driver seat so you don't flop around
4-point seat belt harness
Watts Link
Chassis stiffening

If money isn't really an option I'd just set a budget (say...$7k) and expect to spend $1k on brakes, $1k on a seat and seat belt harness, $2k on wheels and tires, and call Steeda and ask them what they can put together for you for $3k.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:52 PM
Slowpoek06GT
1st Gear Member

The UPR suspension looks like its pretty sick. Admittedly, I'm not sure I'll get that far into it. Thanks, UPR. Doc, I like the ideas I'm getting from you too- thanks for the reference. Artdohc, this is really the kind of thing I was looking for-- as much as I may not pull it all off, it's good to know what guys would recommend or do if they were in my shoes-

All appreciated- I'll repost and maybe get some pics in once I've got a setup. At this point: as in over the next few weeks-- I've got Koni's shipped, tires and wheels, ford racing camber plates, all with the already complete eibach pro springs and steeda strut tower brace. As far as LCAs, PH bar, time will tell-- it I anticipate an upgraded brake set and sway bars in my future for sure.

Thanks, gents
Old 06-05-2013, 10:10 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Take a look at my sig. Right now, for the track, my next upgrades are brake duct cooling, watts link, wheels and tires. No more power mods needed. But the best mod you can do is the driver mod. I've been to 9 events and seat time is what improves lap times the most. I've passed and walked away from cars that should have left me for dead, and its all because of my comfort, confidence, and experience gained from seat time. The car stock is pretty capable. Mod it and have experience and it turns into a whole different animal.

Quick Reply: Show me the (handling) money