Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

First Track Day advice and pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 03:53 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

You really want the shoulder belts to be as short as reasonably achievable, in order to reduce their stretch in an incident (think: how far your torso displaces forward).

Norm
Old 07-09-2013, 09:43 PM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Slowpoek06GT
Does a 4 point harness with the OE seat require a harness bar or can you just bolt in all 4 straps?
You might want to check the rules of the club you are driving with. What I have seen is that an OE seat must use the OE three point seat belt. Four point harnesses are not popular, and not allowed in many events, because they do not have the "anti-submarine" strap. A competition seat normally requires a 5 or 6 point harness.

Also, if you go beyond the 3 point belt, a roll bar is usually required.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:59 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HTDC
Hoosier R6's will transform the performance of your car on the track.
R-comps are not the hot tip for a novice. Not at all. He's going to be busy enough with more basic stuff and paying attention to his instructor before there's any need to go faster just to go faster.

There will be plenty of time to explore all that extra grip after he's got a couple events under his belt signed off to drive solo and still on the street tires.

Norm
Old 07-15-2013, 10:45 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

I have a Schroth 4 pt belt. Part of the belt i anchored into the seat belt anchors on the back seat. That part comes up to a V buckle into the front part that goes over the shoulder and anchors to the post on the normal 3 pt belt and snaps into the normal buckle by the arm rest. It then has a quick release buckle across the pelvis. It doesn't have the anti-submarine belt. It depends on the club. One club let me run it with an instructor in the passengers seat with the normal 3 pt. Another said i had to use the 3 pt if the instructor was using a 3 pt. When im solo, I can use the 4 point. Makes a ton of difference in the corners, u dont wear urself out bracing against corners and in braking zones.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:18 AM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
R-comps are not the hot tip for a novice. Not at all. He's going to be busy enough with more basic stuff and paying attention to his instructor before there's any need to go faster just to go faster.

There will be plenty of time to explore all that extra grip after he's got a couple events under his belt signed off to drive solo and still on the street tires.

Norm
Norm (as usual) is right on the mark with this one. R-Comp tires are not for novices. Beyond what Norm said, R-Comps don't give nearly as much warning before they let go.

Also, there is a certain amount of pleasure one gets when he gets enough experience to lap others who are on R-Comps.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:31 AM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by UrS4
I have a Schroth 4 pt belt. Part of the belt i anchored into the seat belt anchors on the back seat. That part comes up to a V buckle into the front part that goes over the shoulder and anchors to the post on the normal 3 pt belt and snaps into the normal buckle by the arm rest. It then has a quick release buckle across the pelvis. It doesn't have the anti-submarine belt. It depends on the club. One club let me run it with an instructor in the passengers seat with the normal 3 pt. Another said i had to use the 3 pt if the instructor was using a 3 pt. When im solo, I can use the 4 point. Makes a ton of difference in the corners, u dont wear urself out bracing against corners and in braking zones.
Do you have a roll bar? I can't tell from your pic.

There are ways, if you have an electric seat, to get the 3 point tight enough where you are not having to brace yourself in the corners and braking zones. That's what I do, and it works well. A competition seat and harness is definitely a better way to go, but I don't want to put those adds into my DD.

The Recaro seats offered in the '13's and '14's are awesome. Any replacement Stang for me will definitely have those seats.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:39 PM
VistaBlueFrank68
2nd Gear Member

Also get a Short Throw Shifter with Bottom Bracket and a Braided Steel clutch-line. The stock one is less then good. Clutch S/S will improve your shifts like the S/S improves your brakes.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:28 PM
427Roush
1st Gear Member

[QUOTE=JThor;8248710]Do you have a roll bar? I can't tell from your pic.

There are ways, if you have an electric seat, to get the 3 point tight enough where you are not having to brace yourself in the corners and braking zones. That's what I do, and it works well. A competition seat and harness is definitely a better way to go, but I don't want to put those adds into my DD.

The Recaro seats offered in the '13's and '14's are awesome. Any replacement Stang for me will definitely have those seats.

The Recaro seats are really awesome but a fixed Recaro Profi seat starts at about $900 each.
The Boss and GT500 Recaro seats are about $1,500 each, (eBay).
Sparco, Corbeau and other seat companies offer more affordable seat options but with less features. I'd probably suggest that route first. If money was no issue, then a 2012/2013 GT500 or Boss LS would be in my garage.

The only issue I have with harness belts is that the upright position makes your head and shoulders a roll-bar. So at least a 4 point roll cage would be a safety requirement for me. I've seen a lot of German cars at the track without roll bars but we own Mustangs.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:57 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

[QUOTE=427Roush;8262588]
Originally Posted by JThor
Do you have a roll bar? I can't tell from your pic.

The Recaro seats are really awesome but a fixed Recaro Profi seat starts at about $900 each.
The Boss and GT500 Recaro seats are about $1,500 each, (eBay).
Sparco, Corbeau and other seat companies offer more affordable seat options but with less features. I'd probably suggest that route first. If money was no issue, then a 2012/2013 GT500 or Boss LS would be in my garage.

The only issue I have with harness belts is that the upright position makes your head and shoulders a roll-bar. So at least a 4 point roll cage would be a safety requirement for me. I've seen a lot of German cars at the track without roll bars but we own Mustangs.

Yea my mom and I were looking into getting my dad those Recaro's for his birthday, but when we found out they were most likely going to be over 3k, we decided to let them be haha.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:39 PM
Uncoolron
1st Gear Member

Thanks for sharing your first track experience. I too is planning on taking my fist track with my 2013 next month. Good to know that XP 10/8 F/R should be good enough on a short track.

Brake pads and fluids are the only mods I'll do for a while until I can outperformed my OEM set up.

Quick Reply: First Track Day advice and pics