Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Camber Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 06:09 AM
yourmove
1st Gear Member

Default Camber Gauges

Does anyone trust the results of using a camber gauge as a final setting for adjustment?

I was considering this as a diy tool and wanted to understand their accuracy.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:58 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I'd say it depends on what kind of gauge you get. The ones with a graduated bubble-level scale (quarter degree markings?) won't have resolution as good as the kind that have a digital readout (generally these are good to ±0.1°).

I'm currently using a Harbor Freight digital angle finder, also a ±0.1° device. For street driving and any hard driving short of professional racing that should be good enough.

Norm
Old 07-30-2013, 10:23 AM
yourmove
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
I'd say it depends on what kind of gauge you get. The ones with a graduated bubble-level scale (quarter degree markings?) won't have resolution as good as the kind that have a digital readout (generally these are good to ±0.1°).

I'm currently using a Harbor Freight digital angle finder, also a ±0.1° device. For street driving and any hard driving short of professional racing that should be good enough.

Norm
Thanks I do have a need for a digital angle finder for other applications as well. I just haven't popped for one yet.

Do you know the spec for camber on the s197?
Old 07-30-2013, 11:04 AM
yourmove
1st Gear Member

I was looking on Harbor Freight and saw a Cen-Tech device.
Says it's good for +/- .3
Old 07-30-2013, 11:14 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

They should have better ones. If not, other big hardware sources (Sears, big box hardware emporiums) should.

OE camber is -0.75°, with an acceptable tolerance of 0.75° either side of that. There is a spec for cross-camber, which is the difference between left and right side cambers (I think this spec is 0.7° max difference).

Norm
Old 07-30-2013, 07:51 PM
yourmove
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
They should have better ones. If not, other big hardware sources (Sears, big box hardware emporiums) should.

OE camber is -0.75°, with an acceptable tolerance of 0.75° either side of that. There is a spec for cross-camber, which is the difference between left and right side cambers (I think this spec is 0.7° max difference).

Norm
Okay - thanks.

Do you know of a good resource that offers a walk through of camber adjustment with a angle gauge?
Old 07-31-2013, 06:45 AM
Scott2
2nd Gear Member

I have the Maximum Motorsports gauge, have not used it yet, but the instructions are posted here:

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/co...ools/MMT-3.pdf

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...roducts_id=192
Old 07-31-2013, 07:18 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by yourmove
Okay - thanks.

Do you know of a good resource that offers a walk through of camber adjustment with a angle gauge?
Some years ago I put together a general write-up, but it might be too big of a file to attach and does not have any detail pictures showing the step by step of it all.

Note to self, might be time to chase it down and tweak it some more.

Norm
Old 07-31-2013, 03:34 PM
yourmove
1st Gear Member

I have recently installed the h&r ss springs with eibach prodampers.

I plan on using camber bolts and panhard bar.

All is nearly installed.

I am just going to get an alignment on Monday after my simple camber tune with the angle finder.

Do you guys know the exact specs for alignment so as I may bring these to the shop?
Old 07-31-2013, 07:05 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Each of the alignment specs has a preferred setting (which isn't exactly a pass-fail number) and a fairly loose tolerance either side of that. Once you have the ability to adjust camber, you might just find a camber setting that suits you better than nailing Ford's preferred camber smack-dab on the nose.

Toe is -0.1°, ±0.2°, and is adjustable.
Caster is +7.1°, ±0.75° and is not adjustable (unless you step up to caster-camber plates).

Sure wish I could talk you out of using those bolts. Camber plates or Steeda HD strut mounts are better solutions to the same problem.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-31-2013 at 07:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Camber Gauges