Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Need to replace rear sway bar end links...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 11:50 AM
Jack K

Default Need to replace rear sway bar end links...

A few months ago I had Steeda Sport springs, Koni Yellows, and Steeda HD strut mounts installed. Now, I am sure due to everything be tightened up, my rear sear bar end links are shot.
My car is daily street driven, but soon will be relegated to weekend duty. Should I just replace the end links or do the front and rear bars at the same time? I was thinking of just knocking everything out at once. Would you change the front end links while in there? If so for the street, are adjustable necessary?
The car is a 2006 Mustang GT with 67k miles.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:50 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Easy/short one first. If the front endlinks are still quiet, just leave them alone until/unless they do start making noise.

Exactly what is "shot" about the rear bar mounting links? Got any pictures or are you just guessing here?

With the springs and shocks stiffened up compared to stock, the stock sta-bars and their links will be carrying less load and seeing less deflection/deformation, not more . . . unless you're always cornering it a whole lot harder now than you used to (in which case all bets are off).

Actually, I'm not even sure how easy it would be to replace only the rear links. You'd probably have to work each endlink bushing around three bends in the bar to get it off and then work the new ones past the same three bends to get it on. Aftermarket rear bar link offerings typically bolt around the bar, but I don't know if there are any that match your OE rear bar's diameter. Most people would simply replace the rear bar and its links all at once, generally as a kit that also includes at least the front bar.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 11-01-2013 at 06:53 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:34 AM
Jack K

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Easy/short one first. If the front endlinks are still quiet, just leave them alone until/unless they do start making noise.

Exactly what is "shot" about the rear bar mounting links? Got any pictures or are you just guessing here?

With the springs and shocks stiffened up compared to stock, the stock sta-bars and their links will be carrying less load and seeing less deflection/deformation, not more . . . unless you're always cornering it a whole lot harder now than you used to (in which case all bets are off).

Actually, I'm not even sure how easy it would be to replace only the rear links. You'd probably have to work each endlink bushing around three bends in the bar to get it off and then work the new ones past the same three bends to get it on. Aftermarket rear bar link offerings typically bolt around the bar, but I don't know if there are any that match your OE rear bar's diameter. Most people would simply replace the rear bar and its links all at once, generally as a kit that also includes at least the front bar.

Norm
Norm - thank you for your response. My car is primarily a daily driver, although in a year or two will go to weekend warrior status and will start getting transformed into a more performance oriented toy. I don't foresee many track days in the short term. I have been debating the Eibach bars vs Strano.

As far as the condition, I have an audible knock when taking some turns and going over rough roads. I had a certified Ford mechanic take a look and said that the rear end links need replacing.

Is there anything else that could be the culprit of a loud audible knock as described that I should look at ?
Old 11-04-2013, 12:44 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

First of all, this car doesn't use typical endlinks in the back. What folks call "endlinks" are just mounts, and aren't at the end anyway. The end of the bar bolts directly to the axle.

Having said that, it's true that most new bars, like mine, will come with new hangars and hardware, so if you are going to get bars anyway it's nuts to buy another set of those separately.

And finally. I don't think that's your issue. I think there is something loose or shaking around. Could be a bolt, could also be the fact that stiffer setups make the exhaust shake more and the tip, usually on the right side muffler, can hit the bumper when it shakes... particularly on an aftermarket exhaust.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:25 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

how are your ball joints? where is the knock coming from? front or rear?

sounds like your ford tech is trying to sucker you into making a repair you dont need.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:08 PM
Jack K

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. The clunk is coming from the rear, seems more the left rear, and got worse in a matter of a few weeks.
I parked the car and haven't had a chance to look at anything due to time constraints. I'll follow-up once I work on it and I'll let you know what I found. I really appreciate the input.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:27 PM
Jack K

Follow-up: with the Eibach sway bar kit installed the knock is completely gone. The knock had gotten so bad that it sounded like something was going to drop out of the rear of the car. I am not exactly sure how the brackets were related or causing this, but it is cleared up and I am very happy.

The roads have been salt, gravel, or snow covered since I have made the upgrade, so I cannot comment on handling at this point. The front bar is set to the middle hole/setting. Steering seems a bit heavier at slow speeds, is that normal from a larger bar? It also could be because I had driven about 8 different rental cars over the last couple months and haven't driven my mustang for a while.

Last edited by Jack K; 12-15-2013 at 02:29 PM.