Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Control arms or no?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 11:36 AM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Default Control arms or no?

getting the parts together to drop my stang. So far i have Eibach Pro Kit springs (which i may switch for SR springs) and im going to get either Tokico D-spec adjustables (only because they're on sale right now) or Koni STR.T's and a J&M panhard.

Ive been doing more and more suspension research though and now ive been thinking about getting a set of control arms to fix the pinion angle that will change. My car gets no more than 3K miles per year and never sees the track.. Will this become a serious issue with my rear end? Has anyone regret not upgrading at least the UCA to fix this? What should i do...
Old 02-03-2014, 11:52 AM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

I mean you might as well do it. I know for myself if there's something that should be fixed that you're aware should be replaced, I would be thinking all the time about whatever that piece may be while driving. Get it, all of them are cheap, so I'd say might as well.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:27 PM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

I have the same lowering springs as you and a J&M panhard bar. I chose to install new J&M Extreme Lower Control Arms, J&M Extreme Upper Control Arm, and Whiteline relocation brackets. You should definitely buy relocation brackets and upper control arm, but the lower control arms are really your choice. They do make a huge difference in the way the rear end feels and handles.

Reason for the relocation bracket is that it will correct the geometry of the LCA on a lowered car. It keeps the LCA parallel to the ground which is desired. It does not affect the pinion angle.

In order to correct the pinion angle for a lowered car you should buy an adjustable Upper control arm. This is the proper way to adjust the pinion. Also, it is much easier to adjust 1 UCA vs. 2 LCA's because you don't have to worry about the length being the same on each side of the car.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:56 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BrazenStang
Reason for the relocation bracket is that it will correct the geometry of the LCA on a lowered car. It keeps the LCA parallel to the ground which is desired. It does not affect the pinion angle.
Will it be a problem if I skip the LCA's and bracket? Also, how would you adjust the UCA and also know the pinion angle is ok
Old 02-03-2014, 09:37 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Also another thing i was wondering... how come the stock bolts and nuts cant be re-used and recommended by ford to replace them after removing? has anyone reused all the nuts & botls?
Old 02-04-2014, 12:07 AM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

It's like this- you don't NEED the adjustable UCA for a 1.5" drop, but a good quality control arm like UPR Products will reduce wheel hop and improve handling. So that's reason enough to upgrade your control arms.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:35 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by l00kitzzlilcj
Also another thing i was wondering... how come the stock bolts and nuts cant be re-used and recommended by ford to replace them after removing? has anyone reused all the nuts & botls?
People seem to be able to get one or perhaps two re-uses out of the OE bolts if they use a good medium-strength threadlocker of some sort.

Norm
Old 02-04-2014, 08:17 AM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
It's like this- you don't NEED the adjustable UCA for a 1.5" drop, but a good quality control arm like UPR Products will reduce wheel hop and improve handling. So that's reason enough to upgrade your control arms.
I'm not concerned about wheel hop really. My car is just a bit less than a daily driver... like I said in the beginning I get no more than 3k miles a year lol. So whatever I don't need to upgrade I don't plan on it especially because I'd rather buy a newer 5.0 But I will do what I have to to keep her in the excellent condition she's in right now
Old 02-04-2014, 08:19 AM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
People seem to be able to get one or perhaps two re-uses out of the OE bolts if they use a good medium-strength threadlocker of some sort.

Norm
Yes I saw that some people reused the bolts but I guess the flag nuts and the rest should be replaced?