Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Pan Hard bar locking nuts? Are they needed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 01:12 PM
Wayno

Default Pan Hard bar locking nuts? Are they needed?

Stupid question.

When I received my Ford Racing adjudable pan hard bar it did not have the "locking jam nuts" like are show in every picture of an adjustable pan hard bar! Are they needed? If the bar is attached on both ends of the car how could the bar move unless the adjustment nut was turned.

When I put the bar on it was pretty much right on. Now I noticed the axle has shifted to the driver side by a good 1/2 inch?!

Also I assume I need to shorten (move the left tire back under the wheel well) so which way to turn the adjutment nut? clockwise or counter clockwise?

Thanks
Old 05-28-2014, 01:32 PM
Steve@Tasca
Former Sponsor

Yes they are required, I do know FRPP had a batch of those a while back that came through without lock nuts.

If you contact them, explain the situation and provide proof or purchase they should send you a set of lock nuts.

-Steve
Old 06-02-2014, 02:45 PM
Wayno

Thanks for the reply

When I received the bar last May they were not on the bar however after looking at it and seeing how the bar is attached at a fixed point on both ends I thought how could it move? what were they locking down if the bar is attached at both ends. The threaded adjustment part did not turn easily before installing and when I put it in and lowered the car it was pretty much right on. I did not have to make any adjustments and I did not try to turn the adjuster.

Now I noticed the rear is shifted to the driver side and the adjuster will NOT TURN AT ALL. It looks like I am going to buy another Bar and this time make sure the adjuster moves freely and easily like everyone says. I could take it off and try and get it working smoothly but then I still have the locking nut problem.

I contacted Shelby where I bought it. No luck. Better have your parts on in 14 days or no money back. I will never order from them again. And going to the dealer for the nuts forget it I still believe the bar is junk probably one from the batch you mentioned and it did not turn as freely as I think it is supposed to.

Thanks
Old 06-02-2014, 04:28 PM
Steve@Tasca
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Wayno
Thanks for the reply

When I received the bar last May they were not on the bar however after looking at it and seeing how the bar is attached at a fixed point on both ends I thought how could it move? what were they locking down if the bar is attached at both ends. The threaded adjustment part did not turn easily before installing and when I put it in and lowered the car it was pretty much right on. I did not have to make any adjustments and I did not try to turn the adjuster.

Now I noticed the rear is shifted to the driver side and the adjuster will NOT TURN AT ALL. It looks like I am going to buy another Bar and this time make sure the adjuster moves freely and easily like everyone says. I could take it off and try and get it working smoothly but then I still have the locking nut problem.

I contacted Shelby where I bought it. No luck. Better have your parts on in 14 days or no money back. I will never order from them again. And going to the dealer for the nuts forget it I still believe the bar is junk probably one from the batch you mentioned and it did not turn as freely as I think it is supposed to.

Thanks
Did you contact Ford Racing directly about this issues as I suggested? As long as you have proof of purchase I'd think they'd take care of you.

-Steve
Old 06-03-2014, 08:37 AM
Wayno

Haven't contacted them yet, but I will give it a shot though,

I ordered a BMR since the swap is easy and it is relativly cheap. Was hoping not to have more bushings to grease though!

Thanks for the suggestion
Old 06-03-2014, 01:28 PM
Steve@Tasca
Former Sponsor

Good luck with it either way I guess, it is a nice mod to have when it's working right.

-Steve
Old 06-09-2014, 07:17 PM
Wayno

Update

Installed the BMR adjustable Pan hard Bar. Compared to the Ford Racing unit night and day. The adjusting nut on the BMR is must larger than the Ford unit, turned very easy on the car to get the adjustment back. The ford unit I took off would not turn. Completely seized. Very disappointed in this Ford product.