Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Ford Racing Caster Camber bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 06:31 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Thanks, 79.

I imagine you're aware of the problems Ford had with the early S197 strut to knuckle fasteners, where there was at least one knuckle failure that was traced back to insufficient clamp load (with the 148 ft*lb fasteners). Among the fixes was a change to fine thread fasteners and 160-something ft*lb torque requirement.

The reduced-shank aftermarket "camber bolts" of the time were typically given an installation torque of approximately 80 ft*lbs (I seem to recall 77 in particular without remembering for sure whose that number applied to).

Found this over on M6G. Note that the OE bolts are splined.
I have an appointment to get my alignment changed this week. I realize I need to get as much camber as possible in the front and some more in the rear. My question is this. Does anyone know how much camber one can get with a stock 2017 GT PP? Does the factory service manual call for other bolts such as W715295-S439. I race in F Street class, so I can change the alignment as much as the car will allow without modification, unless the factory service manual indicates otherwise (for example lists alternate bolt, or elongating the lower strut mount hole).

So, please share your alignment setup that would apply.

Thanks!
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __

How much you can get seems to vary.

The bolt you mentioned is legal. Your dealer may not have it in stock but it is used on plenty of other Ford vehicles. They are sold in sets of 4 bolts. Ditto with the nuts which you may want to buy since it may take a lot of hammering on the nuts to remove the splined oem bolts.

Torque is 184 lb-ft

The FSM allows 1 mm slotting of the UPPER strut mount hole (S197's were the lower hole). Slot towards the strut. (S197's since they slot the lower hole were away from the strut).

Settings vary based on personal preference but I and apparently many others use max front neg camber and very close to zero toe (factory spec) or a little toe out. In the rear many of us use the nominal factory spec for PP GT's of about -1.5 degree with a bit of toe in per factory spec.

Norm
Old 09-27-2018, 10:23 AM
79FStreet

Wow!
Norm, you have just ended weeks of searching and digging for this information. Thank you so much!
I went by the Ford dealership and gave them the bolt part number for the S550 part number W715295-S439. they found it under their suspension diagram indicated as part HB-1. The ordering system showed both the stock splined bolt and the un-splined version. The service kit bolt is not eccentric, but it is a slightly smaller diameter. (16.3 mm splined and 16.0 mm un-splined. The minimum diameter for the OEM part is 15.9 mm and the service part is 14.6 mm). The installed clamping force and torque is the same for both bolts.
Installing bolts without splines will enable the spindle assembly to pivot and tilt to a changed camber angle. (It will also eliminate the need to hammer the splined bolts out). The 1 mm elongation of the (upper) strut mounting holes and the small change in the bolt locating diameter should work out to a little more than one degree additional camber adjustment. This with the freedom of movement at both bolts should give me the two degrees of negative camber I'm targeting.
This solution fits the SCCA rules and fits my needs. Thank you.
I also want to apologize if my response to the contributor of the concerns around smaller diameters came across in a negative manner. I agree that switching fasteners can create hazards. Thank you for volunteering a caution.
Dave