Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Uneven Tire Wear on all 4 tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 11:59 AM
DPeck

Default Uneven Tire Wear on all 4 tires

Hey everyone, so I have been needing new tires for a WHILE. Mine are super worn down, and I should've replaced them months ago. I have been putting it off because I lowered my car last weekend, and wanted to get the alignment done at the same time. So this weekend or next I will be getting new tires and an alignment. When we were lowering the car, we obviously had to take all 4 wheels off, and they were bad..... not bald, but bad. However, the inner sides of all 4 tires are basically bald. I can't remember exactly but I know I have definitely rotated the tires myself within the last year. As I am typing this out I am feeling more and more like an idiot haha because what would make the most sense is that the front camber is just negative (I haven't gotten an alignment in 1.5 years) and when the wheels were rotated, the previous rear tires accumulated inner wear up front. What I want to make sure of, however, is that my rear axle isn't bent. I don't exactly have access to throw the rear up on stands and see if the rear wheels wobble when in drive. I certainly haven't noticed any noises or anything out of the ordinary. Car drives straight, handles just fine. I also drive it pretty hard around twists and turns in the mountains of Georgia. Does everyone think that this is just totally normal? I am running koni shocks and struts, eibach sportlines, whiteline panhard bar. Tires are Sumitomo (absolute trash) 255/45Z/18 and they'e at least 3-4 yrs old. It's also important to note that my tire pressure is likely low, and not the same on all 4 tires, I just haven't checked in a while, and I don't have any useless TPMS sensors because aftermarket rims. I'll appreciate any feedback, and yes I am very aware that I am basically rolling the dice every time I drive my car with these tires. I appreciate all/any input, and I know the alignment shop will be able to diagnose the problem better, I am just purely asking for everyone's opinion.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:06 PM
DPeck

Also, there is zero vibration when driving, nothing in the car or steering wheel. I've done 115-120 just fine very smoothly.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:07 PM
DPeck

And yes I am aware of how stupid it is to go that fast with worn out tires, but it's in the past now and I am still alive
Old 10-09-2018, 01:37 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

You have too much negative camber in front. And you just lowered your car so you will have even more negative camber now. You need Camber/Caster plates to correct your suspension geometry or you will burn through your new tires fairly quickly in the same spot (inner part). The only reason the rears look affected is because the tires up front were wearing then shifted to the back when you rotated. They wore more evenly in the rear but, rotating them won't get rid of the wear that was already created from the negative camber in the front.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:59 PM
DPeck

Thanks for the reply! I actually forgot to mention I did install CC Plates when I lowered my car. And yes, the alignment is definetely off and has been off since it's been so long since I have gotten an adjustment. I really appreciate your feedback! I also just went and drove my buddies car while he drove my car (so I could look and see if there was any wobble) and there was zero wobble! So I think that confirms that my axle is still very much in tact. Which makes sense, since I am not pushing any "crazy" power, just a few engine mods and a aluminum DS.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:11 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

what are your camber/caster settings?

I have mine on -0.9 to -1.1 for camber and a caster of 7.2 passsenger/7.5 driver to compensate for road crowning. Very even tire wear across the surface of the tire. Although I may go a tad more negative, I notice if I get agressive on turns, the outer part of the tread shows some scuffing right at that edge where tread start to go over the sidewall.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:28 PM
DPeck

Well that's the thing, since I haven't gotten an alignment yet, I really have no clue what the settings are. I just tried my absolute best to get the center threaded piece (that feeds through the strut) to be in the center of the hole of the CC plate. I'm not 100% sure if that makes sense, but I did my best.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:31 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

A lot of times, it's just a bad toe alignment for just edge wear.

Bad camber, the tread wears on an angle, not just one spot:

Bad wheel bearings can also cause the last two issues as well.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:05 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by DPeck
Well that's the thing, since I haven't gotten an alignment yet, I really have no clue what the settings are. I just tried my absolute best to get the center threaded piece (that feeds through the strut) to be in the center of the hole of the CC plate. I'm not 100% sure if that makes sense, but I did my best.
cant go by centering the center nut. The suspension geometry changes as the car is raised or lowered so centering at the top has different effects on the tire position depending on the overall stance of the suspension.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:11 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
A lot of times, it's just a bad toe alignment for just edge wear.

Bad camber, the tread wears on an angle, not just one spot:

Bad wheel bearings can also cause the last two issues as well.
toe wear will usually only be apparent on one tire not both and the affected tire will have a feathered pattern to the wear from being dragged. Camber wear is very smooth wear. If both tires are so far out of toe that both get thin inner or outer wear lines on the tire, your steering will pull and tram line everywhere so it will be obvious.

Quick Reply: Uneven Tire Wear on all 4 tires