Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

GT500 Strut Mounts AND Camber Plates??

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 12:35 PM
wbk_viper
1st Gear Member

Default GT500 Strut Mounts AND Camber Plates??

I have 2014 gt and I just put steeda sport springs on it. I used Koni orange dampers, maximum motorsports cc plates. I was under the impression that if you used caster/camber plates that you didn't need the gt500 strut mounts at least that's what I read everywhere. This was also confirmed by AM where I got the parts. During the install at a shop, they told me that they needed the gt500 mounts too and couldn't use the caster camber plates alone. I believe this was because they didn't want to disassemble the stock mounts for fear they would not work well when reassembled. I'm kinda of bummed at the extra cost of the gt500 strut mounts that I wasnt expecting to have to get. Is this acceptable to use the gt500 mounts AND the cc plates together. Now that it's all together I'm inclined to leave them if it works well, but want to make sure that I'm not creating other issues.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:42 AM
Stangbass
2nd Gear Member

So, you are saying the shop "said" they installed your MM plates AND GT500 strut mounts and they are both on your car currently?

The MM C/C plates are strut mounts. They serve the same purpose with added adjustability and thus can't be used simultaneously with another strut mount.

Do your strut towers look like this?
Old 01-29-2017, 10:23 AM
wbk_viper
1st Gear Member

Yes. And those are my towers. They said they installed both. They said the reason was that they needed part of the original mounts and didn't want to take them apart due to the bearings perhaps not going back together right so instead of reusing the original mounts they got gt500 mounts and used those. I haven't seen the car yet, its being aligned. I pick it up tomorrow. I'm worried that it's not done properly but they seem confident that they have it right. I also talked to another installer from another shop that said they sometimes have to use both as well depending on the type of cc plates and struts. I'm very confused since I didn't even have gt500 mounts on my radar since I went with the cc plates.

Last edited by wbk_viper; 01-29-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:55 AM
dusman59
1st Gear Member

They need to use the upper spring perch. You can use them off the original mounts or the ones off GT500 mounts. I never compared the difference between the two but I would think the GT500 upper perch would be a better choice. Leaving the OEM strut assembly together might better in case you want to go back to stock or want to sell to someone that needs them for a replacement stock setup.I sold my stock strut assemblies rather quickly as many people have worn out stock setups and don't have the money for brand new.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:59 AM
dusman59
1st Gear Member

I would dought if the front alignment would be achieved in spec if things were installed incorrectly.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:33 AM
wbk_viper
1st Gear Member

Well hopefully I misunderstood and they only used the spring perch from the gt500 mounts. Would it even be possible to use both the mounts and cc plates together? They are a really good shop but don't often do this type of specialized work on mustangs. I don't think they are dumb but certainly they were scratching their heads a little bit.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:25 PM
Stangbass
2nd Gear Member

Ok, that makes sense. I was unaware that the MM plates didn't have the lower perch included. They could have reused the perch off the original mount, but replacing it with a new part isn't unreasonable.

Last edited by Stangbass; 01-30-2017 at 08:59 AM.