Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Should I consider aligning my car myself?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 05:32 PM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

Default Should I consider aligning my car myself?

So, for the last couple years, when I've had a suspension change, whether it was bad struts, new wheels, or whatever, the people suggesting an alignment have always suggested that I'm going to need camber bolts soon. Well, I have the MM castes/camber plates, which I replaced not too long ago and just seem to think that the shops don't know how to adjust using them. Anyone else have this problem? I'm considering getting a MM Camber gauge (MM-MMT3) and give it a try myself. Anyone suggest I not bother doing that, or have another gauge/kit I should use instead?

I'm installing a Brembo brake kit here in the near future (just waiting for the parts to show up).

Thanks

Last edited by Murphdog; 04-11-2017 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:44 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Find a real alignment shop. Any good shop could figure it out, it's not rocket science. If you did it you would have to rely on old school string and plates and if you have no experience with that, find a shop that knows what they are doing.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:55 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

With a little patience and a flat area to set up on, it is entirely possible to do a decent job of aligning. Once you understand the measurements, how to make them, and what some of the sources of error might be (driveway levelness, tires inflated to the pressures that you're going to run them at being a couple), the rest is just wrench work (and re-checking). It's important to orient that kind of gauge vertically (as seen in side view) with the piece that sticks out perpendicular to the plane of the wheel (not skewed either forward or backward).

Setting toe using the parallel string method for measurement is also easy enough. But again, patience is a virtue. Wind tends to be a hindrance.

I've been DIY'ing all of my cars' alignment for over 35 years. These days, I usually use a digital angle finder for camber (and with a little math, caster). Accuracy to ±0.1° is entirely good enough.

Not my newest gauge ↓↓↓ , but I think you'll get the idea.

Norm