Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Lowering your 05/06 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 03:37 AM
dreem363
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Lowering your 05/06 Mustang GT

I have a 2005 Ford Mustang GT with about 1,500 miles on it. I just installed the Steeda sports srings a few days ago and I "LOVE" the new look and ride. I still have the stock shocks/struts and i cannot feel a difference(ride quality) from the stock springs. I feel that the car handles better and I do not bounce up and down the street. I already had 18' black rims with NItto 555(255/45/18) all around. It definitely looks bad *** with just the small drop. I am sure the car will also lower even more once the springs get settled in. Steeda has done a hell of a job. Down the line I plan to go with the Tokico D-specs. NOTE*** pictures posted below were taken when car had stock ride height.

[IMG]local://upfiles/28208/DCDA558C964C4C11B8DF0C84058382F2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/28208/928BD1AEFE02462AA49D009474693DF0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/28208/2A391C1FBB7C421281BDC613604BC87A.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-26-2006, 08:52 PM
Stroken97
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stoenr

I just installed The rears only today. Went with the Roush ones since they seem to be the only ones sold not in a front and rear kit.
Install took about 15-20 minutes. Price 124.99 shipped.
Lowered the rear one inch. The car now sits almost level without the rear wheel gap. Stared at for 10-15 minutes making sure I was happy and I am.
The rear is 1/4" higher than the front, measuring from ground to fender, centered up with wheel.

did you use the OEM shocks? Are there any rearend alignment issues with this type of lowering? I agree that only the rearend needs lowering in my case also. Thanks
Old 03-04-2006, 01:57 PM
05ponygt

I have a Black on Black 05Mustang Gt ..Used the Steeda's to lower the rear only . As was said in a previous post , the car looks "right" now . Local speed shop charged me $75 to install . Not much stiffer ...it seems to handle better .
Old 03-07-2006, 09:17 PM
MR.Mustang
2nd Gear Member

I have the Tein H springs. Advertised drop is 1.7" rear and .09" front. The ride is not the best but I also have 275 35 R18's Blizzaks for the winter. The ride is mainly bouncy and my wife says it makes her feel sick.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:06 AM
onefastv6
3rd Gear Member

i was wondering how much it costed you guys to get your springs installed. thanks- jim
Old 03-08-2006, 11:26 AM
sptlckr

So I am more of a canyon carver than a drag racer. If I go with the Tokico Spec-D's and some lowering springs, either Steeda's or Eibach's, should I also worry about anti-roll bars? Do they make a big difference in cornering etc. Some of the kits (Eibach and FFRP) come so complete I am wondering why NOT to go with them.

You guys are great with sharing info. I really appreciate y'all putting up with us FNG's!
Old 03-09-2006, 05:57 AM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Hi sptlckr,

I'm a canyon and open track day driver. IMO the Tokico D-Spec struts and rear dampers are the best available for the S197s at the moment. There may be other good strut and damper kits if and when Koni or Biltien brings out a XX-Sport kit but they are nowhere to be seen at the moment and in talking to them they are not in a big hurry to produce Sport kits for the S197s. The Tokico D-Spes have pretty well matched compression to rebound ratios and seem to work very well with both stock OE rate springs and the stiffest of the production sport spring kits like Eibach Pro-Kit sport springs or Steeda's "competition" spring set.

The anti-roll bar kits are going to help you more if you have taller stock or sport springs as used in Steeda's spring kits and/or if you have wider sticky summer only type tires. They will also help you to balance the handling of the car if you have a balance issue with your springs. A good sport spring kit should help balance the car's handling in addition to lowering and heling to resist brake dive and body roll. If you have one of the stiff sport spring kits that not only lowers the car but also has a much higher spring rate that is designed to reduce understeer such as Eibach's Pro-Kit sport springs and also correct the suspension geometry with Steeda's (front control arms), and BMR's (rear lower control arms), relocation brackets you likely won't have a reason to get the AR bars without larger wheels and low profile sticky summer tires and lots of time at the track.

All of the suspension kits at the moment are using non-adjustable dampers and many of them are not very good damers and/or poorly matched to the springs in the kit and NONE of them are adjustable! Buy your springs to matchyour application and Tokico's D-Spec strut/damper kit to allow you to dial in the ride and control level you like. Adjusting the front and rear combined takes less than 2 minutes! FRPP's kit is a mix and match setup using Eibach produced springs and bars that may have been spec'd by Ford or Multi-Matic, nobody is saying and I have not measured a set. If somebody would send me a strut, rear damper and one each of the springs I could have them dyno'd and the springs rated. The FRPP kit also uses a set of struts and dampers spec'd by Multi-Matic but the car I drove with the full FRPP kit was very stiff legged due to over dampened compression rate on the struts and rear dampers and that was on 17" stock wheels and tire. On 18"+ wheels and tires the FRPP kit will be unpleasent riding to say the least and there is no way to adjust the dampers.

The Eibach kit is using simple and cheaply made struts and dampers, avoid the full Eibach kit with dampers, they suck and are not adjustable.

I hope this helps!

Cheers

ORIGINAL: sptlckr

So I am more of a canyon carver than a drag racer. If I go with the Tokico Spec-D's and some lowering springs, either Steeda's or Eibach's, should I also worry about anti-roll bars? Do they make a big difference in cornering etc. Some of the kits (Eibach and FFRP) come so complete I am wondering why NOT to go with them.

You guys are great with sharing info. I really appreciate y'all putting up with us FNG's!
Old 03-09-2006, 10:33 AM
sptlckr

Thanks F1Fan,

That's good stuff. That's what I am enjoying about this forum, people with a lot more experience than me willing to give a little help.

Now, if only I could get some one to finance all of my upgrades....
Old 03-09-2006, 03:04 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Hi sptlckr,

Happy to help! But where do I sign up for the free financing? 8^)

Cheer

ORIGINAL: sptlckr

Thanks F1Fan,

That's good stuff. That's what I am enjoying about this forum, people with a lot more experience than me willing to give a little help.

Now, if only I could get some one to finance all of my upgrades....
Old 03-09-2006, 03:24 PM
kilmar

Steeda Sport Springs on 18" Fanblades (yes, I like the fanblades). Good drop. About 1 1/4" in the back, 1" in the front. Looks great! Only problem is my gluteus maximus sometimes aches abit from driving in the crappy NYC pothole filled streets.

Quick Reply: Lowering your 05/06 Mustang GT