Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

GT500 compared to Corvette C6

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 11:44 AM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: GT500 compared to Corvette C6

Wow. There's a shocking amount of haters in here.[:-] I'd expect to see those kinds of comments over on the LS1 boards.

Any car can be modified to outperform a stock car. And do you guys really think the GT500s are gonna be stock for long?? Just like some of you did, the people that have deposits on their GT500 might already have aftermarket parts picked out already and waiting. I'm sure the first thing to be changed will be the pulley. Keep in mind this thing is reliably making power that our GT's engine would be on the edge of its life to do the same.

By show of hands, how many guys have blown their GT engines pushing 500+ HP w/ a supercharger? Reading forums and talking with one of the local tuner shops, with the GT running that kind of power under forced induction, it's not a matter of if your engine will die, but when.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:56 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Premi,

I think you're mistaking "not a fan" and "disappointed" with hate. We're not hating the car, we just don't think Ford delivered what folks were hoping for in the new Cobra. There's no doubt it has a powerful engine and is a great platform (for future power upgrades). But as delivered, for the money it disappoints. Compare this to the base GT, everyone acknowledges that Ford hit it out of the park, but with the Cobra some of us feel like, with a homer in the bag and the 06s and 07s putting men on base, they decided to bunt.

Best,
-j
Old 06-02-2006, 02:07 PM
hogpowr
3rd Gear Member

The new GT500 is way over priced. At 38500(with no dealer markup) it would be ok. Then you could mod it up and beat vetts, but priced the same as vetts and still a mustang........what was ford thinking.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:36 PM
Virgule
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hogpowr

The new GT500 is way over priced. At 38500(with no dealer markup) it would be ok. Then you could mod it up and beat vetts, but priced the same as vetts and still a mustang........what was ford thinking.
yeah, the first thing you wanna do with a Shelby GT500 is swap out the motor and put a GT 24V all aluminum block in it.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:24 PM
brchan
1st Gear Member

Premi,

I think you're mistaking "not a fan" and "disappointed" with hate. We're not hating the car, we just don't think Ford delivered what folks were hoping for in the new Cobra
Agreed. Plus, considering this may be the last Carroll Shelby model, I was really hoping it would be much better than what came out. I'm assuming others were too.

Brchan

Old 06-02-2006, 05:23 PM
tdappleman
1st Gear Member

Yes - I certainly didn't start this thread as a hater of the GT500. I just really expected more from Ford. If I spent 40k + markups and then I had to start adding aftermarket parts to make it perform - why buy it in the first place? Folks on this forum have proven you don't need 500+ HP to dip into the 12's - and you can do it for a lot less than the Shelby will cost. So if you add it up this way:

full suspension package (inflated somewhat....) - 2000.00
Supercharger + Intercooler - ~5500.00
Brake upgrades - 2200.00
shift light - 100.00
Total = 9800.00
Mustang GT Premium with Shaker, IUP - 28,000 + 9800 = 37,800

If you really wanted to duplicate it add the 6spd, stripes, front end and spoiler and change the wheels - but the car really looks the same as a modded GT. I think most people expected more - just like the differences between the C6 and the new Z06 - before dealer markup on the Z06 you're looking at about $20k in price difference - well justified when you consider the drivetrain changes, body modifications, suspension/brakes and frame upgrades. It seems like most people agree Ford could have done more. Not hating, just pointing out some opinions.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:35 PM
gregariousgreg
2nd Gear Member

I wouldn't pass judgement on the GT500 just yet. C&D gets some pretty screwy numbers some times. I'm interested to see how well the GT500s will respond to mods, since that is what the new mustang crowd seems to be all about anyway. I imagine that 5.4 has a couple hundred more horsepower hiding in it without too much work and cash(relatively speaking).

The C6 to GT500 comparison is kind of strange anyway. They're pretty different animals. The vettes a two seater sports car, the mustang is an all out musclecar monster and each fills its niche pretty well.

I do have to admit, I am a little dissapointed with the styling of the GT500. I think the stock GT looks much better, but that's entirely opinion. I'm also dissapointed with the weight, but heavy cars seems to be the trend these days.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:21 PM
nautiluscont
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: classj

The GT500 really disapointed me. I definatly am not sitting here wanting one. A GT with a supercharger can be right with or faster than a gt-500. And I have seen NA guys here run 12.8.

While I would rather have my GT than a corvette C6. (I test drove both, the corvette was faster and sharper but didnt push the right buttons for me). I would rather have a standard C6 over a gt500 every time out of 10. To me, for the money the GT is spot on perfect. The GT500 misses the mark in terms of performance and weight.
My 05 stang is running 12.71's in the 1/4 mile n/a with no forced induction. She been dyno at 312rwhp, its all about setup.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:30 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

All I can say is I hope more people think like ya'll do, because then maybe I can get a Shelby for sticker price after all! If I could get it at sticker or under I would do it. But not with a big fat markup on top of that.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:39 AM
Virgule
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tres Wright

All I can say is I hope more people think like ya'll do, because then maybe I can get a Shelby for sticker price after all! If I could get it at sticker or under I would do it. But not with a big fat markup on top of that.
You'll be getting an iron block with a technically inferior Roots-type blower that is nothing like the Lysholm screw-type on the Ford GT. A tuner Mustang GT running its standard aluminum block and a centrifugal or twinscrew added to it will blow a GT500 door's off.

Quick Reply: GT500 compared to Corvette C6