Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

GT 500 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 12:47 AM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

Default RE: GT 500 Questions

ORIGINAL: Zan186

A dodge man? No I don't have a particular preference between Ford, GM or Chrysler/Dodge. I just buy american cars. GT500 value is going to do what every car does as soon as it rolls of the lot (depreciate). As for value of an 02 Viper vs a GT 500 in 20 years is comical. There was only 11,412 Gen II vipers made. The gen II's will depreciate till about 10 years then they will go up in price. You are also comparing a newly released vehicle to a 5 year old car. In 30 years a Gen II Viper will be worth way more than a GT 500. Not to mention that my particular Viper their was only 350 made (Final Edition), so if your argument is that their are fewer GT500's then you are dead wrong. For collectibiility your way off base.
Not to mention that you can buy a base GT and make it look like a GT500 if you chose too. Can't really do that to a base Viper cause their really is not base Viper. lol but hey you can believe what ever you want. When I go to a car show and I park near the GT500's people don't even know it is anything but a Mustang. I almost feel bad for the two guys here that own them.
As for a daily driver, you betcha it would be a mustang. The parts are a hell of a lot cheaper to replace on a stang than on a Viper. With the exception of the hood and front fascia, most of the GT 500 body panels are the same as the GT.
Also a Viper stands out way way more than a GT500 does. Most people wouldn't even recognize a GT500 as being anything other than another mustang.

I think a lot of Mustang people are believing that the GT 500 is going to become a vehicle like the Boss 302. It is possible that it may have some collectability. I just don't think so.

Writing off a car is not such an uncommon thing if you fit the criteria. And the Ford GT500 is actually selling now for $55k, and its blue book value is $45k. The only people paying $80k are the idiots who have to have something right now. Go to Autotrader and you will find at least 30+ GT500's for sale on dealers lots. There are 2 or 3 priced at 70k and they will sit there until the price comes down closer to msrp. There are some still in the 60k region as well, and they are gonna sit there as well. At 55k they are selling very slowly. I have seen a handful sell on ebay, but then again ebay is not always legit as sometimes dealers bid up auctions as well. What is going to happen in 2 months when Ford makes another 3000 GT 500's? and another 1000 KR series? Yeah the GT 500 will hit MSRP because the demand will be saturated. MSRP is very important because that is what Ford wants to sell them for. If they are selling for above MSRP then Ford will make more to appease the demand.
You mean there's a difference between Vipers? Other than the GTS(coupe body and the SRT/10 model) they ALL look alike, Gen II? Who cares, people will never, ever buy an obsolete sports car when there's a new version being produced and they're all indistinguishable from one another(only a Viper-head would know that, much like your argument about the "general public" thinking a GT500 and a GT look "alike"). The day 'ol Carroll kicks the bucket, everything Mustang with his name on it will become more ofa collectible, the original earlyShelby Mustangs and Cobra roadsters will be in the mid 6 figure range, and yes, you can quote me(remember what happen to Ferrari values when 'ol Enzo bit the dust in '88?). I guess you must be talking about good 'ol Bob Lutz and when his day comes, I'm sure Vipers will hit the stratosphere(ha-ha-ha-ha). I guess that Gen II will be worth more than a Ford GT one day too, huh? Hey! Why don't you get a Ford GT and write it off? You'll have the "cheap" GT500 powertrain and 2 seater sports car in one. As aFord lover, that would be win-win in my book.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:45 AM
Zan186
1st Gear Member

Right, you keep thinking that way. You have any clue how many thousands of mustangs have shelby's name on it? Well I hope you will pay 100k for my shelby mustang when he dies lol!
Old 06-19-2007, 03:03 AM
sdsguy
3rd Gear Member

lets differentiate mustangs here.

sure, not many people can tell the difference between an original shelby gt500 and a mustang gt modded to look and have power like a shelby gt500. those people are idiots. it's not hard to find the cobra, which i think in itself is distinguishable. most car ppl, regardless of being chevy, dodge, or tuners, will recognize that cobra emblem and know there's something extra going on in the engine...

and you said there are thousands of mustangs with shelby's name on it...
i don't know of many, there are the 60's mustangs and these new mustangs. i dont know if you ever watched the barrett jackson auto auction, but the 60 shelbys sell at a pretty high premium and i think this will continue for this body style down the road.

but to answer your question, if a dealer sees not many ppl are left who are interested in buying GT500's, guess what? they won't order more. they know there will still be ppl who are saving their money to buy a gt500. i think it's really a tossup. i doubt any ford incentives will effect the gt500's. i remember in the older body style, i used to read the rebates and stuff excluded SVT products. i dont think the introduction fo the KR will effect the cost of the gt500...each one will have it's own price range. i think 55K is about as low as it will get because it is still in the price of a base corvette which it could take on. the KR will probably rest some where in the mid 60's and when the SS package comes out, that will hit the 70's-80's. this is after the mark up dies down.

now here in san diego, i've seen quite a few shelby GT's sold, and those were at the 45K mark.

now, to me it seems like you don't really care for having a shelby. i'm saying this because you reffered to mustangs in general and so forth. i really think just getting a mustang GT, getting a supercharger, getting it lowered, painting the stripes, and getting the card modded will be a lot cheaper. if you don't want to pay the mark up, that's something to consider. even after all of those mods, the car will still be less than sticker value of a gt500. or you can save 5K and delete the supercharger...maybe get a good CAI and tune and you'll be set with great gas mileage.
that's just my .02. but if i had the money, i'd buy a gt500 and that thing would NEVER leave my garage...in fact i think i'd rent a storage area in one of those like fireproof and flood proof places, and keep it in there and drive it 1 weekend a month.....ok maybe 2. i think the gt500 will retain value quite a bit. and if carrol shelby dies, i think the viper will go up too...he did have hand in designing that one too.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:17 AM
LegallyTorchRED
3rd Gear Member

zan, you are asking for all of this............ (If I may add my opinion.)
Sports Cars are for "faggy yuppies",and Muscle Cars are for "Tough Guys", and the"Hot Chicks", that drive them.
When I see a gal driving a MUSTANG, I think she's a downright"Hottie", if I see a galdriving a Viper, I think, there's a "goldbricker", that has a "pimp daddy".Males in Vipers, I think lawyers, dr's, accountants, ****,and pu**ies. (Some sports figures drive them, but, that's only to show-off).
You really can't compare a squirts car, to a Muscle Car, 2 totally different catagories. A Viper looks like a Pontiac Solstice, on steroids.
Why don't you take your DD Escape, and put $40K in mods, and make it, the fastest one on the planet ? You can "write it off", as "business development"
Old 06-19-2007, 03:40 AM
snakebitx1
2nd Gear Member

wow all that arguing and fighting i can't even remember the original question........ i think u guys should let him think what he want's i mean to each his own opinion. Of course he's gonna get flamed for coming in here saying how he's looking for aShelby (a car most of us only dream about) to make his daily driver and write it off. Seriously though u should try and be more helpful instead of just arguing... i haven't learned anything from this whole thread except that some people think vipers will be more expensive in the future and some think that Shelbys will be more expensive in the future.[&:]who cares, but to answer your question i don't think that the Shelby GT500 will come down to msrp for a while... i mean greenway ford has them marked up in the 70's and old guys are coming in buying them left and right.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:43 AM
Zan186
1st Gear Member

Really it all comes down to supply and demand.A car is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it.

Barret Jackson auction is a scam. Lot of the cars that are selling at rediculous prices are people bidding on their own cars.

How can you generalize people that own cars? I know tons of vette owners, Mustang owners, Viper owners etc. Generalizing or stereotyping is retarded. So should I say mustang owners are little weener teenagers where mommy and daddy bought them their car for graduation?
Or do you prefer the stereotype of Mustang owners couldn't afford to buy a Corvette?

Old 06-19-2007, 03:57 AM
Zan186
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sdsguy

lets differentiate mustangs here.

and you said there are thousands of mustangs with shelby's name on it...
i don't know of many, there are the 60's mustangs and these new mustangs. i dont know if you ever watched the barrett jackson auto auction, but the 60 shelbys sell at a pretty high premium and i think this will continue for this body style down the road. As I mentioned earlier the Barrett Jackson is known to have people bidding on their own cars. A car is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it! Yes a few Boss 302's are priced very high right now.

but to answer your question, if a dealer sees not many ppl are left who are interested in buying GT500's, guess what? they won't order more. Really? Perhaps they would lower the price to MSRP or slightly below to increase sales?
they know there will still be ppl who are saving their money to buy a gt500. i think it's really a tossup. Yes and their are these Camero's and Challenger's on the horizon as well. Ford wants to sell cars, the dealers want to make a ton of money. The first 100 to 500 released will command much more than the next batch. Ford is releasing between 1000 to 4000 GT 500's in 08. 1000 are definately going to be the KR series. If their are about 40 GT 500's still sitting on the lots when the next batch is released then the price will drop, espeacially since it is artificially inflated due to demand.

i doubt any ford incentives will effect the gt500's. i remember in the older body style, i used to read the rebates and stuff excluded SVT products. i dont think the introduction fo the KR will effect the cost of the gt500...each one will have it's own price range. i think 55K is about as low as it will get because it is still in the price of a base corvette which it could take on. the KR will probably rest some where in the mid 60's and when the SS package comes out, that will hit the 70's-80's. this is after the mark up dies down.

now here in san diego, i've seen quite a few shelby GT's sold, and those were at the 45K mark.

now, to me it seems like you don't really care for having a shelby. i'm saying this because you reffered to mustangs in general and so forth. i really think just getting a mustang GT, getting a supercharger, getting it lowered, painting the stripes, and getting the card modded will be a lot cheaper. if you don't want to pay the mark up, that's something to consider. even after all of those mods, the car will still be less than sticker value of a gt500. or you can save 5K and delete the supercharger...maybe get a good CAI and tune and you'll be set with great gas mileage. I am considering my options with both the GT 500 and the GT.
that's just my .02. but if i had the money, i'd buy a gt500 and that thing would NEVER leave my garage. So you want a gargage queen? That would be quite a waste. Just remember you can't take it with you when you die. As for value, you never know but remember Ford/GM/Dodge are gonna be releasing newer faster cars in the future. People who wanted a GT 500 now might not want it as bad when a Camero SS or Hemi Cuda is released in 2012.

..in fact i think i'd rent a storage area in one of those like fireproof and flood proof places, and keep it in there and drive it 1 weekend a month.....ok maybe 2. i think the gt500 will retain value quite a bit. and if carrol shelby dies, i think the viper will go up too...he did have hand in designing that one too. To think that Shelby's car's will gain in value drastically after he dies is rather comical. It is not like a famous artist where he only made one of a kind pieces. We know for a fact that their will be well over 3000+ Shelby cars made in 07 and 08. (the KR will be 1000 of them)

Ferrari's, Lambo's, Vipers have a timeless design. They will always hold value, and as they get rarer they will increase in value. Each of these cars have a very distinctive look to them and their are not many of them out there.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:08 AM
MustangMadness7
4th Gear Member

I know most people on this site seem to think the GT500 gonna be worth tons of money in the future, but I tend to disagree... Make a list of the rarest mustangs, and notice the new gt500 is WAY down on that list. In 40 years they might(doubtful) go for double what the MSRP is on them now(if you keep one garaged in pristine condition), but thats hardly an investment worth making. I dont know why your thinkin of buying a Supercharged V8 for gas milage, or how you can write off such an expensive car, but id bet that you can pick up a GT500 for MSRP soon.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:16 AM
sdsguy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LegallyTorchRED

zan, you are asking for all of this............ (If I may add my opinion.)
Sports Cars are for "faggy yuppies", and Muscle Cars are for "Tough Guys", and the "Hot Chicks", that drive them.
When I see a gal driving a MUSTANG, I think she's a downright "Hottie", if I see a gal driving a Viper, I think, there's a "goldbricker", that has a "pimp daddy". Males in Vipers, I think lawyers, dr's, accountants, ****, and pu**ies. (Some sports figures drive them, but, that's only to show-off).
You really can't compare a squirts car, to a Muscle Car, 2 totally different catagories. A Viper looks like a Pontiac Solstice, on steroids.
Why don't you take your DD Escape, and put $40K in mods, and make it, the fastest one on the planet ? You can "write it off", as "business development"
ok...let me get this straight...a 500hp car is considered a *** car?? if ANYTHING, i think the viper did what the gto did back in the early 60's. i think the viper brought back the age of muscle. i don't understand how you think the viper isn't a muscle car. do you know why you see lawyers and dr's driving vipers? cuz they can afford them....mustangs and camaro's have been pony cars and were labeled for the group that couldn't buy corvettes. muscle cars are such a broad term, it's gotten ridiculous. a lot of ppl consider the mercedes slr as one...personally, i think a muscle car should be american made.

but legally, you've gotta be a fool if you think a 500 hp car is for a *****...it takes a MAN to command that much power.

but zan, this is going to be your car. i dont know how much gas mileage the GT500 gets, thats why i'm thinkng the GT might be better. and yes, keeping a gt500 in a garage may be a waste of money. i don't think i'd use it as a daily driver though...i'm wishing to take a gun to some ppl who have hit my car, and it's just a v6...i dont know what i'd do to someone if they screwed with a gt500. have you perhaps considered a roush mustang? it's got a nice look, a nice amont of power, and it's cheaper than a gt500 and not as many ppl have it...that may be another option for you.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:47 AM
LegallyTorchRED
3rd Gear Member

Last 2 entries were [sm=funnypostabove.gif]'S,......... a "2 post noob", and a"outta touch boob".

BTW everything on the planet is subject to supply and demand.... housing, higher education, health /carinsurance..... all the way down to everyday commodities likefood, gas etc.. All of that, is worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it.

Yet, you say a "car" is only worth as much as someone is "willing to pay for it"

This is not a "car", it's a GT500, it'snot a commodity, it's a toy.. Still, in "high demand", (regardless,if you realize that, or not.) You see, the Dealer is selling over MSRP for a reason, and when you walk on the lot, looking to buy and asking about a GT 500, that sales person / dealer will not "bend" to your supply and demand logic. They may have 200 Fusions, 100 F-150's, 75 Explorers, but only 1 GT 500.
So,........ there goes your supply and demand "theory", plus the fact about 1 in 1000 buyers are actually looking to buy a GT 500

Really, based on your logic,the more you spend, the more you can "write off", and by your own words, that should make perfect sense.
So quit whining, and go pay $70K, for your DD, and you will have that much more to "write off"
Last post on this thread.
[sm=exactly.gif][sm=owned.gif][sm=shutup.gif][sm=closed.gif]

Quick Reply: GT 500 Questions