Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

Shelby GT

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 04:42 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Shelby GT

as usual there are the normal amount of misinformed posters out here so let's address some of those (names withheld):

You can't buy listing in the Shelby Registry for a plain GT or one you mod.
The Shelby GT is a collector's car that could be worth MSRP or more years from now. That Mustang GT you throw all those aftermarket parts and labor into, to make it faster than the Shelby... well they won't help. In a few years your car will have depreciated at least 20%.

And for those who do the parts addition it would help if they counted the $1000+ extra for new 18" Black Bullitts, front and rear facias, floor mats, badges, etc. And all the labor costs.

Basically, people are comparing the Shelby to a regular Mustang and it is like comparing a McD's hamburger to Kobe beef!

[IMG]local://upfiles/15212/3624F5B939F84E3BAB28CF621E4C10FC.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-04-2007, 05:06 AM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

as usual there are the normal amount of misinformed posters out here so let's address some of those (names withheld):

You can't buy listing in the Shelby Registry for a plain GT or one you mod.
The Shelby GT is a collector's car that could be worth MSRP or more years from now. That Mustang GT you throw all those aftermarket parts and labor into, to make it faster than the Shelby... well they won't help. In a few years your car will have depreciated at least 20%.

And for those who do the parts addition it would help if they counted the $1000+ extra for new 18" Black Bullitts, front and rear facias, floor mats, badges, etc. And all the labor costs.

Basically, people are comparing the Shelby to a regular Mustang and it is like comparing a McD's hamburger to Kobe beef!

[IMG]local://upfiles/15212/3624F5B939F84E3BAB28CF621E4C10FC.jpg[/IMG]
They won't help what? It all depends on what the buyer wants the car for. If you want to buy a GT for a lot less and make it faster than a Shelby, then yes, it will most definitely help. If you want to buy a car for more money based on the Shelby name, or to join a Shelby listing, then certainly it won't help. It all depends on your goal. As for depreciation, cars historically are not good investements. The stock market has much better potential if that is your goal.

Buy whatever makes you happy based on what you really want. [sm=smiley1.gif]
Old 07-04-2007, 01:52 PM
D_Gusler
3rd Gear Member

The Shelby GT that we got in was a complete crab. Stripes didn't line up, they were arount a 1/4" short from the windshield. The billet grille was bent, upper stut tower brace was bent.

It just looked like the shop idiots put it together.

I did like the black wheels though----------considering putting them on mine.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:06 PM
platnumheart666
1st Gear Member

I seriously thought about the Shelby GT, for collector purchase etc. But when you think about it not only will you have a car that you won't want to put too much wear and tear on, thus not enjoy as much you will most likely not be willing to do any mods you like as to not defer from its "SHELBY" value. Don't get me wrong, I love the Shelbys but how much will they really be worth in your lifetime. Hell, the GT 500 in my area are being marked up 85K on top of the 45,k MSRP for a grand total of 130k! How many lifetimes to pull a profit? If its just for investment there are alot better LT and ST investments ranging from the bullion market and stocks to realty. Now if its a Shelby you want and will enjoy and give a F$#%k less about modding than by all means go get one.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:39 PM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Orion_240
It's more like comparing a McD's hamburger to a cheeseburger wrapped in a TiffanyCo. box for $8,000 (plus the cost of the original burger), patting yourself on the back because*you* have a Tiffany Burger. Woot! But wait... now the counter guy wants you to pay him an additional $10K because of its 'rarity'.

Hopefully, the box, signed by Ronald McDonald will prove wonderfully collectable even though they are making thousands (and assuming you don't molest the burger).

To the OP:

1. The Shelby GT is a really nice looking car. It's got a lot of the FRPP goodies on it plus the cache of being 'a Shelby'. A lady I work with is getting a white one this week and she's really excited about parking it in the garage and looking at it

2. For what it is - it's expensive - Shelby Corp is doing it's same ol same ol and whoring out the name (like what they did with Mopar in the 80's). Shelby has contributed nothing to the performance science of the S197. On top of this - stealerships are adding ridiculous ADMs to the cars, again cashing in for doing nothing.

3. Investment potential - dubious. Especially when you factor in the ADM.

Ilmor and Eddy will feel oblidged to defend their purchase the minute anyone either questions why you would spend this kind of money for the Shelby GT or someone asks about putting a 'Powered by Ford' badge on their car. Guys - no one (that I've seen anway) is bashing the car itself.

OP - If you like it and have the extra money, why not?
Old 07-04-2007, 02:41 PM
07GTEddy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ilmor

Somecan say what they want about a Shelby GT, but I absolutely love mine. I won't badmouth the GT's in comparison to a Shelby GTin my response, like some GT owners badmouth the Shelby GT. Either they don't get it or they don't want to, and that's fine. The car is about much morethan a simple sum of its parts. Time will tell, but over the long term I believe that the Shelby GT will hold its value much better than a GT. Personally, I plan to keep mine for many years just to find out!

Some added info in case you don't know; The Shelby GT's begins life as a GT at the Michigan Ford plant; from there they are shipped to Shelby American in Las Vegas, where they are converted by Shelby personnel into the Shelby GT and briefly road tested. Then they are shipped by closed-carried to the various dealers or directly toowners. Owner's may also special-order Shelby GT's to include other items such as specialized braking systems and superchargers. GT 500's, oddly enough,never see the Shelby headquarters; they are entirely manufactured in Michigan.

+1

Keep in mind ilmore,

Its the same fire starters and bashers every other week so i don't even bother anymore,

Like it , Great!

Don't like it, Don't care!

Drive and buy what"YOU" want and hopefully be happy with "YOUR" decision.

Thats what I and others did, I'm not looking back.

One thing i have noticed though, Seems to be alot of Gt owners Bagging on the Shelby Gt's but, you don't see any Shelby Gt people Baggin the other? Whats up with that?[sm=WTFsgign.gif]

Oh well , Enjoy this life, its the only one you have!

Old 07-04-2007, 03:31 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: eddieval5

So about a total of $2587 for the "performance" additions. Add in $360 for the Ford Racing Stripes and a bit more for the grill/decorations and you have about a 3k package before the 10 man hours (per latest Motor Trend) to convert a GT to a GT-H. I wonder how this rough estimation will translate into real world cost.
Well in all fairness they start as pretty well optioned cars and there is the extra transportation cost ($745?) to get it to Shelbys Plant for conversion. I dont think theShelby GT is a badcar. As a matter of fact its a great car for SCCA Solo I. Should be the dominant car in its class.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:41 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Why is eveyone here so defensive about their cars? If someone told me he had rather have a Nissan 350Z or a Subaru WRX than a GT I dont take that as an affront. Each to his own.

If you are buying a car as an investment you certainly dont buy new automobiles.

PS Im not anti-Shelby. I owned a 1968 GT350 at one point.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:45 AM
kodos78
2nd Gear Member

I agree, the investment argument is dubious at best. The HP war continues unabated, and the cars are getting better engineered all the time. I do think that the Shelby GT is a bit overpriced for what you get as well. It's sad that dealers are getting people into Shelby GTs for about the same price that the GT500 was envisioned!

All of that being said, I think the Shelby GT looks great, and is a good all around package. Not my cup of tea perhaps (mostly being that I won't pay an ADM and I'd feel odd modding it at all), but I saw a couple driving one on the freeway the other day. It definitely is a head turner!
Old 09-19-2007, 11:50 AM
jamie392

I don't think people are trying to bad-mouth the "Shelby GT" I think they are just saying if you do not care about the Shelby name by astandard GT. I live here in Vegas and have been out to the plant numerou times, they are making the "Super-Snake package here, becuase I was there when they brought it out. They are also doing there own mod-shop for CS-6 and CS-8 conversions.

Quick Reply: Shelby GT