Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

Ford Cold Air Intake vs. C&L Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 03:56 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Default Ford Cold Air Intake vs. C&L Cold Air Intake

I know I have asked this question before. I am looking at getting a cold air intake upgrade and if for nothing else, the look of it. SO when comparing the C+L from VMPTUNING and the Ford intake upgrade, obviously the C&L has more performance upside. This I know. It is not a warranty issue becasue both would be covered etc anyhow, not worried there. Coming down to looks, I just do NOT like the look of the C&L. The Ford one just looks like it belongs more. again, please dont advise about the performance upgraded difference....I just am looking at aesthetics of it at this point. Does anyone have the ford one and did you notice a differnce between the stock accel etc and the new. I know it comes with a pro cal tool: which I am assuming is similar to a xcal but used by Ford. any advice/ infois welcomed....
Old 06-22-2008, 04:16 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Ford Cold Air Intake vs. C&L Cold Air Intake

I do agree on the Ford CAI, looks the best, the K&N look nice too,,,,,,,The big gain is in the tune, the cai is good for about 15 RWHP And the tune does the rest!! So that said I would go with the one you like for looks the best........... JMO
Old 06-22-2008, 07:43 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2cokeman

I do agree on the Ford CAI, looks the best, the K&N look nice too,,,,,,,The big gain is in the tune, the cai is good for about 15 RWHP And the tune does the rest!! So that said I would go with the one you like for looks the best........... JMO
thx 2cokeman
.I see in your signature that you have 560hp and torque...first is that RWHP or crank..and how did you achieve that....with just a tune...or a CAI and tune....let me know whose tune and what CAi if you dont mind
Old 06-22-2008, 08:15 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Hi, it is at the crank and it is from a SCT tuner in Montreal, it is with the stock airbox, the cai will gain only about 16-22 RWHP........Personally I don;t like cai;s they are loud and dont really accomplish much, it is all in the tune!!
Old 06-22-2008, 11:22 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_shelby/

JTL all the way, not ONLY is it the best preforming, it's the best looking. It's definitly "GT500 sized", which is why it looks so fierce, and you get 600hp.

Take the advice.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:10 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

i vote for JLT as well, it performs well and looks good too, i believe you can order it in different colors too.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:21 PM
Mullens
1st Gear Member

JLT X3. They really are GT500 specific. I love the way it looks with the carbon fiber, but looks are subjective and it sounds like cleftjpeck is looking for something more stock looking. The C&Lis a good intakebut Im not a big fan of metallic CAIs. Just my personal preference.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:40 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mullens

JLT X3. They really are GT500 specific. I love the way it looks with the carbon fiber, but looks are subjective and it sounds like cheftjpeck is looking for something more stock looking. The C&Lis a good intakebut Im not a big fan of metallic CAIs. Just my personal preference.
yes, thank you Mullens, that is exactly it. I am not looking for allot of flash under the hood...or any obvious changes. In fact the only changes besides the CAI I will do under the hood is get the Shelby billet caps from Shelby Performance (Well actually blue oval because they are cheaper ) hood struts and shelby fuse cover from Shelby...I like the JLT CAI as well, in fact I like the JLT allot more than the C&L as looks go. I just like the factory look of the FRRP one more. Not a big fan of carbon fiber unless I do more than the the CAI. As you clearly point out, it is subjective. thanks again for everyones opinion, I just wanted to see anyone who actually has one, (FRRP) what they felt about it...as far as price goes, I can get the FRRP one relatively cheap with the procal tool....so its not a price thing either....if anyone has the FRRP on their gt500, can you chime in please...thx